Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Anticlockwise Adventure!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
fingers crossed.jpg

Murray Bridge Men's Shed would make you welcome if you are still there. I used single phase but thehave 3 phase or contacts in the council. I have phone number somewhere. CHAdeMO at Mitsubishi Adelaide.
Thanks Jef
Murray Bridge Men's Shed would make you welcome if you are still there. I used single phase but they may have 3 phase or contacts in the council. I have phone number somewhere. CHAdeMO at Mitsubishi Adelaide.
Thanks Jeff - Murray Bridge Showground is resolved now so I can get to Mt Gambier which gives me an untested backup to my untested main plan in Kingston!

Great to read that! Getting very close to the finish now...spectacular!
And thanks for the nice pictures.

Yes ony one charge (HPWC) reqd from here to Melb !

Tuesday's drive from Adelaide to Portland is shaping up as a long and tricky day ...
  • No operational EVSE since Nullarbor Roadhouse so no 15A or 15+15A backup options, and slower on 3 phase.
  • We need to go Highway 1 or seeward (mission rule except where Hwy 1 is unsealed) so no Penola DC.
  • Murray Bridge Showground is now closed to EV's. I'll ring the council tomorrow. The issue seems to relate to pricing and are EV's taking advantage of the council?
  • We have found a school site in Kingston but untested.
  • We have found a backup site in Mount Gambier but untested and relies on Murray Bridge to reach it, unless we drive slowly.
  • Slow options are limited in non-outback conditions due to oncoming traffic and people queuing up behind. Stopping to let them thru consumes battery and defeats the gains of going slow.
  • Can't leave till Tues morning due to roadcrew change.
  • MUST get to Portland Tues night as Portland and Torquay booked in advance. Not to mention the drink with @brewster and @NevD !
Wish us luck !
Actually a great run on Tues ...

John lends me his EVR3 charging cable. This is the exact one that @MDK used across the Nullarbor.
image1-3.JPG

This step alone saved 1.5h over the 3 charges and turned the day from failure to success as we otherwise would have been stuck after dark in the killer kangaroo stretch to Portland.

My favourite sign from Adelaide airport!
20160926_194345.jpg

Murray Bridge Showground charging.
20160927_072508.jpg

The question of general EV access is not settled.

Drove real slow to Kingston in case the next untested charges failed!

Looks like you can buy the Lobster!
20160927_113911.jpg

Kingston Community School offered a one-off charge for our mission (sorry not for Plugshare) in return for showing lots of kids. LOTS of questions!

Still went to Mount Gambier Showgrounds (backup) despite having enough charge, as the guys there went to some trouble.
20160927_155242.jpg

And my first and only SA addition to Plugshare!

Still daylight thru the roo infested pines!
20160927_165145.jpg

Hooray!
20160927_165524.jpg

And a nice dinner with @brewster , @NevD and family members. Looks like @NevD 's mind is on the slippery slope to being a fellow Tesla owner!

Also reporters and camera from local paper!

No messing round unloading B-doubles at Portland!
20160928_082850~01.jpg

Matching cars!
20160928_083343~01.jpg

Good on yo @brewster !

I was thinking about the inevitable questions from supposedly smart ICE drivers in relation to the SA outage and how Tesla drivers would be stranded by it.

It then struck me that in most cases we would be better off than the ICE drivers because we are more likely to have a 50% or greater tank of "fuel" than they are. This is because most Tesla drivers charge up at least once a day rather than waiting for a low fuel light to come on.

Many ICE drivers don't get that a power blackout equals service station is unable to pump petrol.

Reactions: RichardMcN
I was thinking about the inevitable questions from supposedly smart ICE drivers in relation to the SA outage and how Tesla drivers would be stranded by it.

It then struck me that in most cases we would be better off than the ICE drivers because we are more likely to have a 50% or greater tank of "fuel" than they are. This is because most Tesla drivers charge up at least once a day rather than waiting for a low fuel light to come on.

Many ICE drivers don't get that a power blackout equals service station is unable to pump petrol.
Exactly!