Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Anticlockwise Adventure!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Richard dont know if you saw my posting on the UMC. You can connect 3 single phase supplies to the UMC with correct resistor between pilot & E. It starts taking current from L1 and once you hit 16A it will fire up L2 and evenly split current between L1 & L2 eg 8A each. I havent tried this but logically once you hit 32A total it should fire up L3 to give roughly 10A each line up to 13A each. You need to get solar MC male fitings to fit the pins in the UMC L1 L2 L3 & N but E & pilot are smaller. Get the fittings from a solar shop. This may help you on your way home. L1 L2 L3 feed individual chargers so shouldnt be able to back feed male plugs, As you have tech knowledge you can figure out the rest,
Thanks heaps Electricdave that's one of the clearest explanations of the UMC yet.

Do you think it matters whether the 3 sources are on the same phase or not? That's one of the fiddly things about our octopus - getting hold of two 15A outlets on the same phase. This often involves asking neighboring campers / caravans to switch sockets for us.

Tessie goes to a photo shoot at City Beach and is inspired by the dynamic WA team ...

20160910_180158~01.jpg

Left to right ...

1) Nullarbor conqueror Jeff Johnson going round Australia clockwise in a Nissan Leaf - paused in Perth for some months so this is our crossover point.
20160910_173551.jpg

And this is the book about his N-S crossing on foot (not sure if there is a book about his E-W crossing)
20160910_213617-1.jpg

Yes that is a solar panel around his neck!
"Do it ! But only if it is fun" is Jeff's motto.

2) Nullarbor conqueror @MDK who is weĺl known to TMC followers .

3) Tessie - Nullarbor hopeful !

4) Mitch has electrified his MX5
20160910_173352.jpg

5) Richard (not me) with the plug-in Outlander seems to be able to make every type of adaptor including one to get power from a J1772 charger and power a standard 15A outlet!

Not to mention Joseph the Plugshare king and Atomic Tesla who is getting over 50,000km out of his tyres!
20160910_154907.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: Blue heaven
Honestly who knows, but not ruled out. As well as the 3 or 5 power pins, the tail has extra pins to signal the tail's current limit. Is there the potential for a loose wire in there to fry the Maxicharger's control board? Your guess is as good as mine!
Is there a potential of a bad production series of the Hartmann detachable plug that connects the tail to the Maxicharger box?
Till now my 1st generation Maxicharger has never let me down.
Great support from Tim and looking forward to learn what the issue is.

Tessie goes to a photo shoot at City Beach and is inspired by the dynamic WA team ...

View attachment 193888

Left to right ...

1) Nullarbor conqueror Jeff Johnson going round Australia clockwise in a Nissan Leaf - paused in Perth for some months so this is our crossover point.
View attachment 193889

And this is the book about his N-S crossing on foot (not sure if there is a book about his E-W crossing)
View attachment 193890
Yes that is a solar panel around his neck!
"Do it ! But only if it is fun" is Jeff's motto.

2) Nullarbor conqueror @MDK who is weĺl known to TMC followers .

3) Tessie - Nullarbor hopeful !

4) Mitch has electrified his MX5
View attachment 193891

5) Richard (not me) with the plug-in Outlander seems to be able to make every type of adaptor including one to get power from a J1772 charger and power a standard 15A outlet!

Not to mention Joseph the Plugshare king and Atomic Tesla who is getting over 50,000km out of his tyres!
View attachment 193892

Richard, great pictures again and I'm sure that meeting of conquerers must have been very interesting!

Also, for the tires, on my S85 I also have the Goodyears and I'm confident these may last well over 50000km (including non-sealed road kms). I will make some pictures when I do the next tire rotation.

Reactions: RichardMcN
"Do you think it matters whether the 3 sources are on the same phase or not? That's one of the fiddly things about our octopus - getting hold of two 15A outlets on the same phase. This often involves asking neighboring campers / caravans to switch sockets for us."
I cant test this here but logically if it works for 3 phase & single phase x3 it will work for 2 phase & a repeated phase. Should also be OK for 480V split phase ie 240V-0-240V. If anyone in Melb has three phase I can visit with my ancient AJWilliams power analyser & check. Otherwise Ill check in the field when I go away to Qland in November.

That will be interesting to see ED - good luck!

I would say if you can solve the phase problem, then there is only one (biggish) challenge remaining to having the "perfect octopus". That is how you deal with the merged neutrals, and getting the neutral current within 30mA of the active current on each leg to avoid tripping safety switches and to avoid over-current in any of the neutrals.

I'm a Tesla civilian but looking forward to joining in the next leg of Tessie's adventure tomorrow.

Thanks Kristymay. Tessie has REALLY enjoyed her week in Perth ...

>>> Professional car wash

>>> Lots of attention at the photo shoot
20160910_165521.jpg

>>> Fast DC charging on the Electric Highway plus free DC charging at UWA !
20160914_132749.jpg

>>> 2 new 270km/h Michelins (on loan from Tesla while the correct 300km/h rated tyres are being sourced) and wheel alignment.
20160914_170108.jpg

(The toe-in has changed so much that the car now sits on the right edge of the lane under Autopilot, but she is gradually calibrating).

>>> A successful Maxicharger test with a new 32A 3ph tail !
20160913_125722.jpg

Thanks Jayson!

>>> Everything up to scratch
Clean.png

>>> Even more attention for Tessie at the AEVA meeting
Screenshot_2016-08-22-12-37-00~02.png

Nice and energetic group of people in WA
(Note: AEVA sponsor 3 phase outlets, not Tessie)

>>> Water views
20160914_131221.jpg

On one hand Tessie would have loved to stay in Perth forever, but she is also very much on for the mission, which resumes at first light tomorrow ...

Last edited:
Tessie and Atomic Tesla grabbed some RAC charging today while their owners had a quick lunch in West Perth.
It was great to catch up with Richard over the last few days, Robin and myself wish him all the best on the remainder of his journey down through the South West and across the Nullarbor back to the East coast, it's an epic adventure and should inspire many others to go out and explore.
image.jpg

Reactions: jeffthewalker
Thanks for the best wishes guys. Tessie is really appreciative. After Perth which was in some ways the destination, I'm just coming to terms with the fact that we still have a huge road trip to go, and only one spare day in the schedule!

3 deg C here in Pemberton. So different to tropical E-W crossing.

Pics soon!

Maxicharger: can we say you confirmed that "the venom was in the tail"?
I'd love to say that was confirmed @Dylanpete, but ...
  • The 1st Maxicharger failed on its 9th 32A 3ph charge
  • The 2nd MC on its 6th
  • The 3rd MC on its 2nd
4th MC has had just one test 32A 3ph charge so far and the next at Esperance. Fingers crossed :) !

OK on with the Adventure ...

@Kristymay62 joins me from Perth. Don't let her smile fool you. She is a Commander in the RAN Reserve - same rank as James Bond!
DSC_1745.JPG

WA may not have the biggest banana but ...
20160916_105856.jpg

Cute
20160916_122457.jpg

Bussleton has a 1.7km long pier. The sandbank grew and grew and they just kept extending it.
20160916_125526.jpg

Nesting on the pier
20160916_130911.jpg

Tagging the 2 major capes of SW WA ...
This is Cape Naturaliste.
20160916_145007.jpg

Tessie's last fast DC charge on the WA Electric Highway at Augusta
20160916_163623.jpg

Precision timed with -$1.01 left on my Chargestar card!

And Cape Leewin - where the Indian and Southern Oceans merge
20160916_172808.jpg

and also the tallest lighthouse on mainland Aust

Stormy seas - Our last glimpse of the Indian Ocean
20160916_172921.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: Novatec
This SW corner of WA is great, and pretty well the most amazing thing on the whole trip so far is the Gloucester Tree - 56 metres tall.
DSC_1776.JPG

That's me climbing the spikes. There's a carpark at the bottom of the tree with a warning sign and you can just go ahead and climb all the way to the top!

Looking down from halfway
20160917_094905~01.jpg

On top - a former fire watch platform - wow!
20160917_094256.jpg

Can you spot Tessie?
20160917_093733~01.jpg

She is level with the base of the tree!

WAGR "V" class loco at Pemberton Tramway
20160917_102017.jpg

For the train buffs, an unusual 2-8-2 Mikado configuration.

Honestly there is so much in SW WA, a must for a road trip if you haven't been there.

Stuck on 5%
20160918_073215~01.jpg

We tend to charge the car with the nav set to destination and head off when the remaining charge gets to about 10%. This figure gradually climbs from -25% as you charge, but gets stuck on 5% for 30 mins to an hour depending on charge rate. I interpret this as indicating that figures below 5% are based on speed restricted driving, figures above 5% are for normal driving, and the 5% pause is the amount of charge to make up the difference. Any thoughts?

Last edited: