Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Antielectric Road Rage

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Kandiru

Oct 20, 2014
USA
Was driving to work today when a WV plates Ford F250 duallie stopped very hard with the frame shaking side to side right by my bumper.

I thought to myself, the guy must be in a hurry so when the light turned green I accelerated sharply to just about the speed limit and continued without giving it further thought. Two intersections later there is a knock on my window, a guy about the size of Napoleon sporting a meticulous goatee and HUUGE pupils with a photo name tag proceeds say this:

" Hey axxhole! I have been watching pulling your stunts and speeding. Just cuz you got an expensive car you cannot go fast in town! Who do you think you are?..."

I proceeded to shut the window with the same neutral facial expression and without saying a word at which he exploded. Face red, screams, middle finger and F word. He then went to his car. Thank you so much for not kicking Ted (my car).

Followed me a short bit as I parked in the right lane below the speed limit then proceeded to dangerously swerve passing people at a car length double the speed limit until he disappeared.

Makes me want to get a beater to drive to work, but I am one car guy.

Knowing about many road rage incidents in our drug infested area I realized that this is a huge problem, my neighbor's wife got run into the ditch, I once had to rescue an RN at a carwash from the advances of another midget in an elevated suspension truck, other neighbor got run off road by the guy who earlier cussed him for driving a VW at the gas station.
Many of my coworkers and patients carry guns in their cars, I only have pepper spray.

Tonight I am having 4oz of vodka, period!

Spoken like a Floridian :rolleyes: I fail to see how the above would warrant the drawing of a firearm. His life was not threatened.

The guy may have been having a rough day. May have just been let go of a job or something. Then he see someone driving a (very) expensive car and is mad at the world. Was the OP speeding? It's easy to do in a Tesla because it's so powerful and quiet :) The OP didn't say where he lives. Upon moving here to OK I expected some aggro behavior towards our cars like rolling coal and such (and we still have our CA HOV stickers on and my wife left her Cali plate on the front) but aside from the random teenager in a Camaro or Mustang that wants to race people here have been super excited about our cars.

I would just be glad no one and nothing was hurt and go on with your life. Or maybe you should move? I'm not being sarcastic, if it's as you say I would leave that place.

Last edited:
I'm going to stereotype based on experience:

He probably thought it was you who was speeding in his neighborhood.

When you see houses or small businesses on the sides of a road, drive like it was your neighborhood with your neighbor's kids playing in their yards. Yeah, you lose a couple minutes, but that's also where most crashes occur anyways.

I could be wrong, but I've been 'you' during such a confrontation getting my arse reamed. Even when I wasn't speeding.

"Sorry about that. I'll keep my speed down. Thanks." seems to work the best.

Done.

Trivia - Doctors get more speeding tickets than any other occupation. Lawyers are second. Probably speeding to catch the ambulance.

• Love
Reactions: David99 and GSP
Not a week goes by in Weld County (largest oil producing county in Colorado) that I'm not accosted, challenged or smoked by a coal roller. I try to keep to the right lane, look down at my dash and never engage them.

A gun does not buy you security, it only escalates the situation.

If you are ever in a situation that escalates, your accelerator is your best friend.

Get some distance and call 911. Do not let him follow you home, drive to a police station if possible or a busy parking lot. If he follows you to the lot, stay in your car and honk your horn, hopefully a security office will show up.

How To Deal With Road Rage - National Motorists Association

Thank you all for the advice, for the gun I would need to visit a firing range weekly to keep in practice, in addition to mood stabilizers.

Besides I am 6'4" XXL glove size Balkans gorilla with a temper to match, the only thing keeping me subdued in similar situations is that I would not get to see my 3 kids daily if I did something impulsive.

Thank you all for the advice, for the gun I would need to visit a firing range weekly to keep in practice, in addition to mood stabilizers.

Besides I am 6'4" XXL glove size Balkans gorilla with a temper to match, the only thing keeping me subdued in similar situations is that I would not get to see my 3 kids daily if I did something impulsive.
if you need mood stabilizers to remain balanced, you're right about not getting a firearm it probably wouldn't work well for you.

Prius owners have been dealing with this years....

download (5).jpeg

Spoken like a Floridian :rolleyes: I fail to see how the above would warrant the drawing of a firearm. His life was not threatened. ...
Kort 677 never suggested "the drawing of a firearm". He suggested getting a carry permit and the training that goes with it. The benefit of being armed as that you are less fearful of threats and so are more likely to remain calm and courteous. The benefit of training is to learn where you should draw the line and may legally defend yourself with deadly force. In my opinion, everyone should be licensed and trained, whether you choose to carry or not.

Fair disclosure: I am a certified firearms instructor.

Last edited:
some people only see only what their prejudices allow them to see.
you are 100% correct, obtaining a firearm is only part of the equation.
if you are a well balanced thinking person the fact that you are capable of using deadly force will usually cause you to walk the other way when confronted by argumentative types. if is a far better choice to avoid or retreat from a confrontation than it is to ever get deeper into it and then need to shoot someone.

Reactions: diesel and Mickie
Kort 677 never suggested "the drawing of a firearm". He suggested getting a carry permit and the training that goes with it. The benefit of being armed as that you are less fearful of threats and so are more likely to remain calm and courteous. The benefit of training is to learn where you should draw the line and may legally defend yourself with deadly force. In my opinion, everyone should be licensed and trained, whether you choose to carry or not.

The flip side is also true. Carrying deadly force can also embolden you to escalate a situation.

I'm sorry, but having driven in heinous traffic for 16 years, the first response when dealing with road rage is not "get a gun". The other suggestions on ways to deescalate are much more appropriate IMO. If you're carrying you're just as likely to hold your line and argue, knowing that you're right. But at the end of the day it just doesn't freaking matter. People have prejudices against all kinds of things, you're not going to change them by having an argument at a stop light. The best thing to do is just say that you're sorry and move on with your life. What's that old line? You can be right or you can be happy.

The flip side is also true. Carrying deadly force can also embolden you to escalate a situation.

then that person is a hot head that should consider not having a weapon.

I'm sorry, but having driven in heinous traffic for 16 years, the first response when dealing with road rage is not "get a gun".
driving in heinous traffic wasn't the issue, having someone exit their vehicle and approach you and threatening your well being is.

Reactions: cchc99 and diesel
Clearly, you have never been trained in concealed carry, or possibly you were refused a license due to your temperament

You win. I lose. Bye.
Well clearly, you would be wrong. But I started this little dialogue by making a sweeping generalization based on a stereotype (which was wrong of me) so I can't fault you for doing the same. It did sound funny in my head as I was typing it. You know what they say about making assumptions. You're free to live your life however you want as long as you don't hurt innocents. If carrying makes you happy then who am I to stop you. My intention was to point out to the OP that a gun is not always the answer to conflict.

As for training, you can do all of that you want but you cannot predict how you'll react when bullets start flying - ask anyone in the military. If you've been in combat then I thank you for your service. If not then I hope you'll do the right thing if you ever draw your weapon.

Reactions: David99
As for training, you can do all of that you want but you cannot predict how you'll react when bullets start flying - ask anyone in the military. If you've been in combat then I thank you for your service. If not then I hope you'll do the right thing if you ever draw your weapon.

I always get a kick out of people who have probably never held a firearm let alone shooting one offering "expert" advice.
being trained is far better than not being trained if the SHTF.

Reactions: Scott-P and diesel