Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Antique parts replacement

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just thought I would post my experience with a S out of warranty and 156k miles so you newbies would be ready.
First the door mechanisms will fail. Little gear cost $1.20. Or the wiring harness between micro switches wires will break off. $68 for new harness. I replaced 3 door mechanisms so far.
Window regulator will stop. Cable rusted and broke. Changed 2.
Front rotors and pads were very easy replacement. Put on drilled and slotted rotors, ceramic pads. Great improvement.
Front hub bearings will start to growl in slow turn. Very easy to change.
Tie rod ends were a pain, finding tools took longer than replace.
I have got to change bottom left ball joint, lose, won't pass front end alignment.
MCU touch will leak out. Mine has been leaking for 2 yrs, about 1/2 inch all around. I think I will pay SC to do it. My patience wont stand taking dash all apart. Cost $1500.
Main instrument panel is leaking. About 50% gone. I dont see any reason to change it yet. Everything is working.
I have had cooling issues. Found out pump 2 was bad. Changed it in 5 minutes. U need hose clamp pliers to shut off water.
I forgot. Car wheel alignment can be done at any shop with a Hunter Hawkeye Elite. Verified by Hunter. That's how I found I had lose tie rod end and bad ball joint. He could not get wheels to stay in place.
Got new motor and gearbox in March 2019.
I've ordered both rear axles. Time for CV joints to go bad. I think I have on now. Slight vibration at 72-76 mph. Not tires, changes all 4, still have vibration.
I will change 12v battery soon. It's old. If it dies you are dead on the side of the road.

These are accurate assessments for similar 2013 builds, and I'm sure there's overlap with newer cars on certain parts, but Tesla is always redesigning parts, replacing what they use on the assembly line, and not telling anyone. Sometimes the new ones are better (It's rare for a DU replacement in newer models), sometimes they aren't (the newer MCU screen doesan't leak anymore, but now it yellows around the borders, haha).

I guess what I'm saying is at 156k miles with a different (newer or older) model year, different things will break. Hopefully less, as Tesla continues to get their act together as a newer manufacturer, and that literally Your Mileage May Vary :D

Yesterday the port door was open, the magnet in the door has rusted and stuck to the port. Had to sand off rust, JB weld it to the door. Now I have Door open, error. I got one off Ebay. The very first run were a throw together to get them out the door. I touched a week old 2020 yesterday, wow. A lot of changes. Biggest was the emblem on trunk . DUAL MOTOR. That was it.