Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Ants and Electricity

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
There are ants that are attracted to electromagnetic fields, those tiny ones look like the ones that tend to congregate around certain switches and receptacles in my home as well. Believe it or not, I've replaced three light switches in my bathroom in 13 years from ants that congregate within the switch and short them out.

Computers at risk from Crazy Raspberry ants - Techworld.com

I haven't seen any gathering on my car (yet), but will keep an eye out. This hasn't been an ant year for us.
This. People report sameissueon the Volt forum. Some ants are just attracted to the electricity. It's why when I use the UMC/EVSE for either I try to keep it off the ground or at least look for ants on the ground. Once they are on your UMC then they are in your car when you pack it away.

Had exactly the same experience. Bought an ant chalk and put it on the charger wire by the handle that connects to the car. It created a barrier and the problem was solved.

That's interesting. It seems to me that ants could still climb onto the car by another route other than the charging cable. Once there, how else can we get rid of them? Called the local service center about this, but they have not heard about this issue. Any suggestions?

That's interesting. It seems to me that ants could still climb onto the car by another route other than the charging cable. Once there, how else can we get rid of them? Called the local service center about this, but they have not heard about this issue. Any suggestions?
If you live and work in the concrete jungle, draw an ellipse around your car every time you park? ;)

> sacrificial plastic barriers on the underside of the Model S, even on the lowest part of the battery. [FlasherZ]

Why not try running an LED in the box? Someone said they like dark places. One or two watts might do it.
--

Ants, 100s of Ants

Aw crap, I just discovered my car had hundreds of ants scurrying around all over it tonight. Son of a...

I live in Charlotte NC and have been battling ants on my car for several weeks now, but feel like I'm losing the battle. These things are the crazy ants and apparently as they come into contact with electricity, they release a pheromone which attracts more ants. Apparently these things are pervasive in Texas. Wonder if anyone with the problem has come up with any situations. Thanks!!!

I've had ants become attracted to computers and speaker equipment before. It's always the little tiny guys. There is no food around, and it only happened when living in Florida.

i know some termites build mounds in relation to magnetic fields (usually the one associated with Earth).