Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Anxious about a few things with my new Model 3

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I just picked up my very first Tesla last week - Model 3 Performance. So far, I LOVE the car! I look for excuses to drive it because it’s so much fun to drive. However, aside from me being extremely anal and driving extra careful, I’ve had a little bit of anxiety over the following. How do you all get over these things?

1. Range anxiety - I usually charge to 80% per Tesla and based on some of the comments on this forum, and other articles I’ve read. I’ll start driving with around 250 miles, but the range goes down much quicker than I expect. In other words, it ”feels” like I’ve only driven 2 miles but my range would go down by 3 or 4. My concern is that I will arrive at my destination with much less remaining range than what it showed when I began the trip (short or long trip).

2. I’m not too concerned about not having a spare tire when driving around town on my time. However, I drive 50 miles to work about once or twice a week and I’m worried about getting a flat when it really matters. I have 2 cans of fix a flat and a tire repair kit. I’ve had 2 blowouts in the past 20 years driving to work, so the odds are low…but it only takes once to ruin your day! How reliable is the Tesla Roadside. I also have AAA and my insurance tosses in Roadside for about $2 a year (GEICO).

3. Reading these forums and the issues people have had or are having gives me pause! I am hoping that these are in the extreme minority and most people have zero problems. I’ve driven Toyotas and Hondas for the past 20 years for the sole reason of wanting reliability.

Again, I LOVE the car! These aren’t complaints. I think a lot of this is just being a new EV driver and learning the ropes. Thanks!

Reactions: alangold and Ormond
You can also use the A Better Route Planning app to plan trips. It allows you to adjust for speed, temperature and add a headwind. Play around with that to get a feel for how they affect things. Found trip planning to be on the conservative side. Only anxiety I have now is driving to places like Wyoming where I feel like a Pioneer in the old days.

If you're like me, you'll overcome your range anxiety rather quickly and you'll learn how to plan for longer trips. When it comes to range, any electric car is no different than any ICE car. The manufacturers and the EPA all mislead us about mileage. Those mileage numbers are derived under ideal conditions: no cargo, mild temperatures, no head winds, level ground, etc. You'd have the same range anxiety in an ICE car if gas stations were 50 miles apart. If you have a level 2 charger at home and plan your trip using Tesla's route planner or the "A Better Route Planner" app, you'll be fine, unless of course you want to go 200 miles out into the middle of nowhere.

Tesla isn't the only company that sells cars without a spare these days. A company called Modern Spare can sell you a mini spare for your Tesla. But be sure to buy some jack pucks for your car before you or anyone else jacks it up. I'd also recommend an air compressor that comes with sealantYou can buy them both on the Tesla website..

I've owned my M3 for 21 months now. I've yet to need to call for roadside assistance, but I live in a very rural area and I would not want to wait the hours or even days it would take for Tesla Roadside service to get to me. Instead, I rely on AAA. I've been a member for over 20 years and have had to use them maybe 6 times. They have always come within 1 to 2 hours. I pay about $200 a year for coverage for myself, my wife and my daughter. For that price I also get towing for as far as 200 miles. If you live in an urban part of Texas, Tesla Roadside may be enough, but if you live in a rural area, hold on to your AAA coverage.

As I said, I've had my car for 21 months. In that time the only problems I've had were a camera cable that came loose on the left fender camera. That was fixed under warranty, at my house in less than 20 minutes. The other problem was a piece of interior trim that had come loose. That was fixed in 30 minutes, also under warranty.

1) I think range anxiety reduces by using % rather than miles. It also reduces by taking a road trip and seeing that you make it to the next charger just fine and close to the predicted arrival %. The arrival %/miles are affected by your speed, outside temp, wind, hills (up or down - when you drive down a mountain road, your %/miles left usually increases), how often you punch it and take off…but the car takes most of that into consideration when it gives you the estimated arrival state of charge. Use navigation to go everywhere you drive and see how accurate it is - that might help you ease the anxiety.
2) You seem well covered.
3) Most people post negative experiences and fewer people post positive. There are a lot of posts about negative service center experiences but I’ve had three interactions and all have been very positive. My car is wonderful and reliable. I’ve put over 25k miles on the car in road trips and it has been amazing.

Also, don't worry about going lower than 20%. Some people have anxiety over that but its fine as long as you don't leave it at a low state of charge for a long period of time, its fine. I believe when it gets super low, the car even suggests going to the nearest Supercharger to fill up and will route you. I've had the car for 3 years and really lost my range anxiety after my 1st road trip which was in the 1st month. Its an easy car to live with.

1) I normally charge to 90%; I have no commute, mostly drive locally for errands, and I know that my actual range is about 2/3 of what it estimates. I drive to my dad’s house 100 miles away once or twice a month - I charge to 100% the night before and I have the mobile charger adapter to recharge from his unused dryer outlet while I’m there (I’m usually at ~55% when I get there). Huge supercharger network in So Cal, but I haven’t used it in the year I’ve owned the car. My SO has an ICE car and I have two ICE motorcycles too.

2) I have AAA for towing in case I need it and I have a spare set of wheels/tires at home.
3) Haven’t had any issues other than a panel alignment or two that the SC fixed quickly.

Reactions: JetDriver05
I am doing my first serious road trip later this month, an ~1000mi / 1600km trip to Nova Scotia from the Niagara region for a week. For the nearly 4 years I have had the car (Model 3 LR RWD) I have not gone further than what I can make on a single charge.

One thing I notice about Nova Scotia is there is only one supercharger near Halifax, which is central to the province but would still make a trip to Cape Breton or the west coast tricky without using L2 3rd party chargers. And the number of third party destination chargers seem quite limited (Plugshare).

So I am a little anxious about the range on the way there, as well as once we get there. What we did was reserve a spot at an RV park with 2 way charging, which will give us a 30A 120V TT-30 plug, and I have the adapter (from EVSE adapters) to use with the mobile charger.

I talked to them about an RV spot with an EV car and they were totally fine with it (I did notice at least one park that said no RV spot without an RV!). South Mountain Park for anyone interested. They actually seemed quite interested in my plans and were very friendly.

The plan is to use this as a base to stay over night (sleep in the model 3 on a twin memory foam mattress cover) and use a 4 man tent to contain our supplies (we could always switch to the tent if the car isn't comfortable), and do day trips from there. I would have the car charging at all times we are there, which should save going back to the supercharger (about 75mi/125km away).

It is close enough to Halifax and the Bay of Fundy, so there will be lots of "little" trips to make (IE 1 hour or less in each direction).

If anyone is interested I will report back how it went.

And if there is anyone from Nova Scotia that has any suggestions I am all ears!

Last edited:
You are travelling in an area that is not well garnished of superchargers. I strongly advise renting a CHAdeMO adapter from a local club before you leave. This might save you good time. You shouldn't be stranded as level 2 or wall plugs can save the day, but that's slow.

You are travelling in an area that is not well garnished of superchargers. I strongly advise renting a CHAdeMO adapter from a local club before you leave. This might save you good time. You shouldn't be stranded as level 2 or wall plugs can save the day, but that's slow.

Thanks I will investigate that, although there don't appear to be any clubs in my area the Ontario Tesla Club is GTA (Toronto area) based so it is reachable by me. I will reach out to them about it.

Thanks I will investigate that, although there don't appear to be any clubs in my area the Ontario Tesla Club is GTA (Toronto area) based so it is reachable by me. I will reach out to them about it.
Does your car support CCS charging? If so you can add options by getting a Tesla CCS adapter. Only downside is a you have to get it from Korea and it is $309. That would let you DC Fast charge at CCS based charges in addition to Superchargers.

1. Range anxiety

You need to learn how your driving style would affect the range (speed, headwinds are the worst) then you know how to charge your car.

I've been doing that since 2012 with no problems. My driving style is slow and I always charge 100 miles more than the distance: If my destination is 210 miles away, I wouldn't leave until the battery gauge says 310 miles....

2. How reliable is the Tesla Roadside.

It actually contracts with others so the "Tesla" tow truck crews could be exactly the same as AAA's.

So it varies depending on many factors: how busy the tow trucks are, time of day, location... Some reviews with good grades, some with very bad delays.

It's just like visiting a maternity ward and wondering why there are so many pregnant people around here!

Last edited:
Does your car support CCS charging? If so you can add options by getting a Tesla CCS adapter. Only downside is a you have to get it from Korea and it is $309. That would let you DC Fast charge at CCS based charges in addition to Superchargers.

No it doesn't unfortunately.

But EVSEadapters does sell a CCS 1.0 adaptor which is compatible from what I can tell. CCS1 Tesla Adapter but it is pricey and I don't think it would arrive in time for this trip.