Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Anxiously waiting an AWD review / videos

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
In talking with the guy who lent it to me, it sounds like I just need more practice and a better place to do it (I.E. drive out to the boonies). I was having to go about 15 minutes between pulls and just randomly drive around to find straightaways with good roads and no people or other cars. Frankly I was having to rush so much the 4.6 run was the only one I felt decent about so I think there's a couple of tenths there if I can find a better spot. I can use an app to record my screen for the next go arounds if people are interested?

Thanks for the info! Couple tips to help: 1) Mash the pedal to avoid being throttled, 2) Record charge at time of run (90%+ matters a great deal in Tesla's). I'd surprised if you couldn't at least hit the 4.5 mark.

• Disagree
Reactions: P85_DA
Oh and best 1/8th was 8.42.

What was the mph on that 1/8 mile run? As another point of reference from drag strip videos online I see the P3 doing anywhere from 7.54 @ 94mph to 7.8 @ 90mph Model 3 LR did around 9.0 @ 83mph. Basically, the AWD seems to be right were Tesla places it in their specs ....at around the 40% of the P3 mark through the 1/8th mile anyway.

What was the mph on that 1/8 mile run? As another point of reference from drag strip videos online I see the P3 doing anywhere from 7.54 @ 94mph to 7.8 @ 90mph Model 3 LR did around 9.0 @ 83mph. Basically, the AWD seems to be right were Tesla places it in their specs ....at around the 40% of the P3 mark through the 1/8th mile anyway.

Interestingly enough it was at 82.54 MPH and that also tells me I should be able to get a better one if I go all out for 1/8th of a mile. I'm pretty sure I was letting off the pedal by that point as the spots I did the 0-60s were too short to get much above 75 to 80 before curves came up and/or I had to slow down.

Car is in with service getting a TPMS warning checked but I'm raring to go to try again with some of the coaching tips later this week, hopefully getting her back this afternoon. Will definitely post the next round of results when I have it! I also should note, my tire pressure was at 47 psi for the previous round, I hadn't realized they'd set it so high from the dealership. I have it at 41 now so will be curious to see if that helps at all.

Reactions: Knightshade
I saw a YouTube video which highlighted an interesting fact I wasn’t aware of.
He said the AWD has more acceleration.
That we all know.
But he also said it had more acceleration at speed, than the RWD.
That makes sense, but he said it makes a big difference when passing at speed etc.

That we all know.
That makes sense, but he said it makes a big difference when passing at speed etc.

That all makes sense. I have a AWD that was supposed to be delivered this week but I put it off. I have an 85D and not sure I can part withe the performance difference. My car feels very close to the M3 P I drove.

That we all know.

This is made pretty clear by the roughly 10mph trap speed difference in RWD vs AWD in the 1/4 mile video... versus the only 2-3 mph trap speed difference between AWD and P doing the same thing.

That all makes sense. I have a AWD that was supposed to be delivered this week but I put it off. I have an 85D and not sure I can part withe the performance difference. My car feels very close to the M3 P I drove.

base on my research, the 85D has more initial launch compare to AWD non-P. However, once you get it moving, M3 AWD catches up and ends up having same 1/4 time. 85D will beat the Model 3 AWD from 0-60 and then the M3 AWD will accelerate better after that.

base on my research, the 85D has more initial launch compare to AWD non-P. However, once you get it moving, M3 AWD catches up and ends up having same 1/4 time. 85D will beat the Model 3 AWD from 0-60 and then the M3 AWD will accelerate better after that.

Sounds correct and 1/4 mile is really useless for me. I think many of the people impressed with the 3AWD version are coming from ICE cars and have not driven a D model S like an 85 or 100D. The LR 3 seems horribly slow compared to an 85D. What many new owners will find is that once they drive their car for a while they will think it is slow, it's the first impressions that wear off for many after time. Don't put them in a P100D L:)

In case anyone missed it, Daniel in SD ran vbox on a Model 3 Non-P AWD:

AWD 4.55s 0-60, 4.26s w/ 1 foot rollout (VBOX Sport)

0-60ft 2.17s w/ 1 foot rollout (2.39s without)
I wanted to get the 10mph splits but for some reason the app is only giving me a few measurements. I can probably pull the data off the SD card and get it.
30-70 3.56s
50-70 2.06s
Definitely doesn’t have a lot of jerk off the line like the P or launching a turbo Subaru. The 30-70 acceleration feels very strong.
View attachment 329225

The LRD does seem tamer off the line than the 3P but it’s the passing times that matter more to me. For those, the LRD is better than half way between the LR and 3P.

30-50mph
LR: 1.9s
LRD: 1.5s ...21% faster than LR
P: 1.2s ...20% faster LRD

50-70mph
LR: 2.8s
LRD: 2.1s ...25% faster than LR
P: 1.7s ...19% faster than LRD

Last edited:
I got a RWD Model 3, only had it for a week and had MANY paint problems, took it in and got a loaner, Model S P90D. Really have been enjoying the dual motor handling and the Ludacrous mode acceleration...Had it couple weeks now....and I still do. So I've driven a fully decked out Model S more than my Model 3!

So Tesla will be buying back my Model 3 because it needed a full repaint, and I have to order a new one. Definitely thinking about upgrading to AWD this time....

Only concern other than the additional $5k now is the loss of range. I'd like to see more of these comparisons to RWD and or explanation of "is it really a big deal?"

I got a RWD Model 3, only had it for a week and had MANY paint problems, took it in and got a loaner, Model S P90D. Really have been enjoying the dual motor handling and the Ludacrous mode acceleration...Had it couple weeks now....and I still do. So I've driven a fully decked out Model S more than my Model 3!

So Tesla will be buying back my Model 3 because it needed a full repaint, and I have to order a new one. Definitely thinking about upgrading to AWD this time....

Only concern other than the additional $5k now is the loss of range. I'd like to see more of these comparisons to RWD and or explanation of "is it really a big deal?"

The AWD Model 3 still has over 20% more range than the Model S P90D you've been driving for a couple of weeks now so sounds like it isn't really a big deal.

Reactions: gavine
While I await my AWD (and wait, and wait)... there are three things that I'd like to know, and still haven't seen nailed down. And really for me, these are the quantifiable metrics that the value of that $4k is based on:
  • What is the reliable 0-60 time? (is it really slower than the 4.5s advertised? That would be a first)
  • Does it allow more regen than the RWD? Do the acceleration boxes do negative numbers? Can the regen current be measured? Can we get actual data on this?
  • And of course what is the efficiency as compared to RWD?