Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Anxiously waiting an AWD review / videos

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Thank you.

Here is a little background on how it happened.

First day line waiter: SoCal Los Angeles: I held off for awd and got the email to configure on 5/31/18 and did so within the same hour.

Then I kept checking my Tesla page and last week on Tuesday I got a message that asked for financing. Input paper work and by wednesday got approved.

Got a call Thursday and they told me it’s ready for pickup.

They wanted to schedule me in on 7/28/18 but they where booked; as so aswell on Sunday 7/29/18 but luckily they made it happen and I got it this Sunday

I’m the one using the man as a booster.
That is not an approved child safety seat. :-\

I got my car tonight!! First AWD that my ISA has delivered yet from the Costa Mesa, CA location.

I will post videos tomorrow of 0-60 and other stuff! The car was only 50% charged when I got it and I had lots of people with me so I haven’t tried to time it yet. It FEELS fast though even at the current state, but then again it’s the fastest car I’ve ever owned.

Delivery was flawless. Lobby was busy AF but from when I arrived to when I drove off it was 55 minutes (I had a trade in, otherwise would have been faster). Panel gaps were all in spec to my eyes (or at least nothing offensive to me), no scratches or bad paint that I could notice, even under the car. The only thing I think is wrong is the charging panel/tail light piece isn’t exactly flush, which I’ve read from quite a few recent deliveries that all exhibit the same issue, but I could live with it (I’ll probably call to ask later if they can remedy it at all).

I got my car tonight!! First AWD that my ISA has delivered yet from the Costa Mesa, CA location.

I will post videos tomorrow of 0-60 and other stuff! The car was only 50% charged when I got it and I had lots of people with me so I haven’t tried to time it yet. It FEELS fast though even at the current state, but then again it’s the fastest car I’ve ever owned.

Delivery was flawless. Lobby was busy AF but from when I arrived to when I drove off it was 55 minutes (I had a trade in, otherwise would have been faster). Panel gaps were all in spec to my eyes (or at least nothing offensive to me), no scratches or bad paint that I could notice, even under the car. The only thing I think is wrong is the charging panel/tail light piece isn’t exactly flush, which I’ve read from quite a few recent deliveries that all exhibit the same issue, but I could live with it (I’ll probably call to ask later if they can remedy it at all).

Excellent! I look forward to some videos tomorrow. My Tesla ISA is likely annoyed that I'm hiding from him while I decide if AWD is "fast enough" lol.

@P85_DA I found a potential dragy opportunity! :)

Reactions: P85_DA
Here's my notes comparing the Model 3 AWD Performance to my P85D (with P85+ suspension.)

My P85D was able to handle the same S curves, balanced and tight. Though it felt much heavier. I got the tires to screech in both cars,it might just have been the road materials in that area that I test drove it in.

My P85D is definitely more punchy from 0 to 40 but after 40 the P85D lets up. The 3 is less punchy 0-30 but then it starts pushing you harder than the P85D around 40 MPH.

The P85D feels more stable and planted but that might just be the extra weight and/or the air suspension.

If I had the choice to drive either one I think the P85D would be slightly better for normal day to day spirited driving, especially on the freeway. The 3 would take it if you just wanted to have a little more through the corners and a better 40-80 MPH car. Mind you this is comparing a P85D with P85+ suspension which is a more aggressive set up than what you'd get today in an S.

I know they can eek out a better 0-60, at least 3 seconds flat. They just have to punch you from 0-30 (which I know they can). Would be amazing if they did that later on with a software update.

The P85D to me felt more comfortable to drive, I also had more confidence than in the 3. It could be because I’ve been driving it longer, time will tell when I swap cars in a month or two.

The 3 felt like it was on rails and a slight flick of the steering wheel and you’re gone--into the next lane. The 3 is extremely responsive and unforgiving in a way whereas the P85D required more steering before you’d end up in the next lane. Not sure if that makes sense.

Reactions: debuggr
Here's my notes comparing the Model 3 AWD Performance to my P85D (with P85+ suspension.)

My P85D was able to handle the same S curves, balanced and tight. Though it felt much heavier. I got the tires to screech in both cars,it might just have been the road materials in that area that I test drove it in.

My P85D is definitely more punchy from 0 to 40 but after 40 the P85D lets up. The 3 is less punchy 0-30 but then it starts pushing you harder than the P85D around 40 MPH.

The P85D feels more stable and planted but that might just be the extra weight and/or the air suspension.

If I had the choice to drive either one I think the P85D would be slightly better for normal day to day spirited driving, especially on the freeway. The 3 would take it if you just wanted to have a little more through the corners and a better 40-80 MPH car. Mind you this is comparing a P85D with P85+ suspension which is a more aggressive set up than what you'd get today in an S.

I know they can eek out a better 0-60, at least 3 seconds flat. They just have to punch you from 0-30 (which I know they can). Would be amazing if they did that later on with a software update.

The P85D to me felt more comfortable to drive, I also had more confidence than in the 3. It could be because I’ve been driving it longer, time will tell when I swap cars in a month or two.

The 3 felt like it was on rails and a slight flick of the steering wheel and you’re gone--into the next lane. The 3 is extremely responsive and unforgiving in a way whereas the P85D required more steering before you’d end up in the next lane. Not sure if that makes sense.
What steering mode were you in? Could be alleviated if you swap out of sport.

FYI, elsewhere we started a sheet to track AWD (and P-AWD) orders. Feel free to add your order to the Data tab to get a better sample size.

We're getting some good summaries by region, wheel type, etc.

upload_2018-8-2_9-27-1.png

upload_2018-8-2_9-30-4.png

Attachments

• upload_2018-8-2_9-26-22.png
    upload_2018-8-2_9-26-22.png
    54.6 KB · Views: 89
  • upload_2018-8-2_9-29-58.png
    upload_2018-8-2_9-29-58.png
    10.2 KB · Views: 57
  • Helpful
Reactions: Brenzo

Can you validate that the 8th digit of your VIN is indeed a “B”?

Have you driven a RWD or Performance? Would love to hear your thoughts in comparison to those two.

What color did you get? Any chance for a ride (I'm frequently in the South Bay and northern OC area.
My first test drive in a Tesla was yesterday on my way home after delivery. I haven’t driven any other Tesla’s. My buddy has a RWD and is coming over on Saturday, I can compare experiences then.

I got pearl white with aeros. Not sure on a test drive, I’ll have to think it over.