Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Anxiously waiting an AWD review / videos

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This is exactly the information many of us have been looking for. Thanks!
Okay! So I got to drive my friend’s RWD today. It wasn’t a 1 to 1 comparison since he only had 50% charge to my 70%, but every other setting was the same.

But yeah, it has a lot less pull on the RWD than my AWD, especially 0-20. It feels the same at 30+. The regenerative breaking is significantly less as well, like a lot less (both were on Standard/max).

Just wanted to report back!

Thanks for following up! You are literally the only person providing a comparison between the RWD and AWD variants, answering the highly anticipated 0-20 question. Any other comments are appreciated, but even your quick tidbit is very insightful! I am much more at ease with my AWD order at this point.

Encouraging, but have there been any other reports yet confirming strong regen in AWD? Everyone thought the AWD would be more efficient too (based on S/X) but it ended up being the opposite...
I have seen stronger regen mentioned in many reviews of the P-AWD on this forum, Reddit, and others. My impression is that the 300-310 mile range on the AWD is only possible with the stronger regen, and that claimed range would be closer to 280-290 miles without it.

Encouraging, but have there been any other reports yet confirming strong regen in AWD? Everyone thought the AWD would be more efficient too (based on S/X) but it ended up being the opposite...
No one else is really talking about AWD from what I've seen. I'm only one test case, but the difference was very obvious. In my AWD I can take my foot off the accelerator and it'll slow me down extremely rapidly if I'm going 40 or under (takes more time the faster you're going obviously). I'm at the point where I don't even use the brakes anymore unless I need to come to a complete stop, or I need to stop faster than I know regen braking will do for me. When I round corners I just take my foot off the pedal at like ~50 ft before a turn and it slows me down perfectly and I just turn and accelerate right through it. I absolutely love it.

From my limited few miles driving my buddy's RWD yesterday, it was no where near as strong and I couldn't do nearly the same maneuvers in it that I had already gotten accustomed to in my AWD over the last 4 days. And like I mentioned the pull of the acceleration was clearly being limited/was less than my AWD.

@Deuce24 Awesome! One last question: Do you know with certainty that your friend's RWD didn't have regen set to "low"? Since you are apparently still the only person in the entire world who has tested these back-to-back and taken the time to post about it. :p
Yes, I confirmed he was on Standard and I wanted to know for sure if the regen was the same or not. It makes sense if you think about it. AWD likely uses both motors to regen whereas RWD only has one motor to do so. I don’t know that that is how it works, but it’d explain the stronger regen feel and behavior.

• Helpful
Reactions: Chedawg and Scott7
I haven’t driven any other Tesla cars, unfortunately. My buddy has a RWD 3 and I’ll get to try it on Saturday.

I didn’t use slip start. I can try a higher charge amount, lower tire pressure to 40 and use slip start for a serious run in the future. Trying to find a dragy first.

Also I would definitely call it punchy for the start, I don’t feel any noticeable lag. When reviewing my videos for time it was extremely easy to find the actual start because the car seriously jumps up in the front when you slam the pedal. It’s awesome!

Can you comment on how much front motor whine you get on your AWD car?

The Jalopnik mini review of the P3D mentioned the front motor whine repeatedly.

Can you comment on how much front motor whine you get on your AWD car?

The Jalopnik mini review of the P3D mentioned the front motor whine repeatedly.
I’m very sensitive to high pitched noises and I was very worried about it. I have nearly zero whine on my car. Like, less than I could have expected. I figured there would be a decent amount, I was just hoping it wouldn’t be bothersome. And there’s basically none, and I couldn’t be happier. I’ve only gotten it up to maybe 85mph on the freeway though and I didn’t read their article so I’m not sure at what speed they experienced that.

I also figured that I would have to deflate the tires like Elon recommended, and I was thinking of purchasing that strip of rubber from RPM Tesla to help with windscreen noise. But after driving the car for five days and hitting the freeway many times during then, I find the noise inside the Model 3 to be great as is. Of course, that’s coming from a convertible soft top BMW that was eight years old with run flats. Let me tell you what road noise sounds like!! ;-)

Last edited:
I test drove the P3D a week ago and regen seems about the same compared to the RWD one I drove for a day on Turo. The sales rep in the P3D with me said "yeah the regen is the same in both versions"
I'd be interested in official specs for both cars. Having driven the AWD for almost a week now, the RWD was not the same to me. I can slow from 40 to 8mph in like a handful of seconds. I never have to use the breaks. Driving the RWD in the same neighborhood with the same driving behavior I had to constantly use the breaks, so I'm not sure what is up.

With the newness of both the P3D and the 3LRD I wouldn't be surprised if the sales rep even knows the specs of the car, let alone the internal component make up. My rep didn't even know the latest software version, and my AWD was the first he had delivered ever (and they deliver 90 cars a day right now according to him, up from about 40 cars 3 months ago).

Reactions: jkirkwood001
I'd be interested in official specs for both cars. Having driven the AWD for almost a week now, the RWD was not the same to me. I can slow from 40 to 8mph in like a handful of seconds. I never have to use the breaks. Driving the RWD in the same neighborhood with the same driving behavior I had to constantly use the breaks, so I'm not sure what is up.

With the newness of both the P3D and the 3LRD I wouldn't be surprised if the sales rep even knows the specs of the car, let alone the internal component make up. My rep didn't even know the latest software version, and my AWD was the first he had delivered ever (and they deliver 90 cars a day right now according to him, up from about 40 cars 3 months ago).
The MT article said regen on the P3D was 0.22G unless it is placed in track mode when it increases to 0.3G. I think an earlier mag article from Dec/Jan said regen on the RWD was around 0.2g - so even if you ignore potential differences in reporting precision, seems like there is negligible difference, if any, in standard regen between the two models.

That said, as is the case with track mode, it is possible a later software update might increase the regen in the D variants. I do wonder if higher regen is bad for the battery given the recommended C rates. That may be why regen is the same across the variants because they share the same battery.

The MT article said regen on the P3D was 0.22G unless it is placed in track mode when it increases to 0.3G. I think an earlier mag article from Dec/Jan said regen on the RWD was around 0.2g - so even if you ignore potential differences in reporting precision, seems like there is negligible difference, if any, in standard regen between the two models.

That said, as is the case with track mode, it is possible a later software update might increase the regen in the D variants. I do wonder if higher regen is bad for the battery given the recommended C rates. That may be why regen is the same across the variants because they share the same battery.
Interesting. A very unscientific way to judge this would be based on speed slowing from like 45 to 6mph (where the regenerative seems to shut off) between the AWD and RWD. Wouldn't be too hard to try and I could provide the AWD data.

I would be pretty surprised (and disappointed) if the regen was NOT greater in the dual motor cars based on my experience comparing my own RWD Model S to the dual motor Model S loaners I've had. The dual motor cars just have more of a one pedal experience. Not quite as hardcore as the BMW i3 or Chevy Bolt EV (the latter esp. with the regen paddle), but definitely in between the RWD Model S and those cars.

I would be pretty surprised (and disappointed) if the regen was NOT greater in the dual motor cars based on my experience comparing my own RWD Model S to the dual motor Model S loaners I've had. The dual motor cars just have more of a one pedal experience. Not quite as hardcore as the BMW i3 or Chevy Bolt EV (the latter esp. with the regen paddle), but definitely in between the RWD Model S and those cars.
FWIW I have no issues 1-pedaling in my AWD but couldn’t do it with the RWD.

Okay! So I got to drive my friend’s RWD today. It wasn’t a 1 to 1 comparison since he only had 50% charge to my 70%, but every other setting was the same.

But yeah, it has a lot less pull on the RWD than my AWD, especially 0-20. It feels the same at 30+. The regenerative breaking is significantly less as well, like a lot less (both were on Standard/max).

Just wanted to report back!
Oooo yeaaah, that's the good stuff. Thank you. Feeling a lot better about that extra $4000 now, even if it costs me 15 mi of range on the highway.

On the RWD test drive, because they are based in a basement parking garage, I found I really noticed and missed the Bolt's higher regen going down the ramp. The Model 3 needed brake pedal for the control, albeit lightly, whereas the Bolt hadn't when I first arrived. That's the sort of place it'll really show up, although the difference was subtly there elsewhere.