Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Any 2017 Owners Think The New Fsd Pricing Is Unfair?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
We bought our MS in 2017. At the time, the configurator showed EAP as being $5k ("$6k upgrade after delivery") and FSD as being $3k ("$4k upgrade after delivery"). There was no wording that would indicate the "upgrade after delivery" prices would ever change.

We bought EAP for $5k, figuring we would wait a year or two and buy FSD for $4k when we could scrape together enough pennies. After all the pricing chaos earlier this year, FSD is now listed as $6k in my account. The MS configurator also clearly states that the FSD prices "are likely to increase over time with new feature releases."

Anyone else think this is an unfair situation? If the configurator had stated "prices are likely to increase over time" back in 2017 when we placed our order, we would have undoubtedly paid the $3k for FSD at that point. As it is, the price of FSD for us has gone from $4k to $6k without warning.

I understand that prices change, and I would not have a problem with this if Tesla had warned us that the after delivery upgrade price might change. But they didn't. There were no conditions on the "after delivery" price.

The implied promise Tesla made to us when we ordered in 2017 was that FSD would be $4k after purchase indefinitely. Given there was no warning in the configurator or on any of our paperwork that the price might increase later, I think Tesla should honor the original FSD price for those of us who purchased in 2017. Am I nuts?

Well, there was a "sale" earlier this year when FSD was only $2k to buy. So prices have gone down as well as up. I am sure you would rather have paid $2k than $4k so prices being fixed forever is a double edged sword.

Frankly, at this point there is no harm in waiting for the next "sale" and maybe picking up FSD for even cheaper.

Or waiting for features to release and they have free trials. Normally they offer the software at a discount during the trial.

Depends on what you mean by "without warning". If you mean on your account page, you'd be right, and if you'd never been on this forum, read any Tesla news sites, or read/heard about second hand any of Elon's tweets, like I'm sure many people who own Teslas do not, you'd also be right.

But, as @Az_Rael said, the price has gone up and down with many news stories about it. Many, many people complained that it wasn't fair that they'd paid $3k at delivery, while those who hadn't then got the opportunity to save a thousand AND didn't have to cough that cash up at delivery. The after delivery price actually went from $4k to $5k with news that they were going to "refund" $1000 if your price was originally $4k, then shortly after it went down to $2k, and back up.

Just like with the prices of the cars themselves, it always seems to be changing. It's true that you can't negotiate the price of a Tesla (or its options) like at a traditional dealership, but it certainly makes a difference when you buy.

Have you ever bought a car before? Do you not understand that on a single day, the exact same car can be sold for thousands of dollars difference to different people. Have you never seen a sticker in a car $10,000 OFF?
Have you never bought a computer or a TV and saw the price drop and more features added for next year's model?

As you said, you had the capability to buy at a fixed price, for whatever reason, you didn't.

We bought our MS in 2017. At the time, the configurator showed EAP as being $5k ("$6k upgrade after delivery") and FSD as being $3k ("$4k upgrade after delivery"). There was no wording that would indicate the "upgrade after delivery" prices would ever change.

We bought EAP for $5k, figuring we would wait a year or two and buy FSD for $4k when we could scrape together enough pennies. After all the pricing chaos earlier this year, FSD is now listed as $6k in my account. The MS configurator also clearly states that the FSD prices "are likely to increase over time with new feature releases."

Anyone else think this is an unfair situation? If the configurator had stated "prices are likely to increase over time" back in 2017 when we placed our order, we would have undoubtedly paid the $3k for FSD at that point. As it is, the price of FSD for us has gone from $4k to $6k without warning.

I understand that prices change, and I would not have a problem with this if Tesla had warned us that the after delivery upgrade price might change. But they didn't. There were no conditions on the "after delivery" price.

The implied promise Tesla made to us when we ordered in 2017 was that FSD would be $4k after purchase indefinitely. Given there was no warning in the configurator or on any of our paperwork that the price might increase later, I think Tesla should honor the original FSD price for those of us who purchased in 2017. Am I nuts?

In the past, Tesla has honored the after purchase FSD price that was originally offered, although it showed up on the account at the higher price. I’ve got no idea if your original upgrade price will be grandfathered in. FSD doesn’t offer much at present and may not for a while. If looking at the higher price, I might be inclined to wait until there’s real FSD available. Every now and again Tesla seems to offer reduced prices on things. I didn’t expect it but I did take advantage of the last one, partially to eventually get the upgraded computer when it’s available.

If you want to buy it now, you could call therm. Me, I’d wait.

I bought it on sale so I'm happy. There was no guarantee which direction the price would go so it was up to Tesla's generosity to grandfather existing owners. They did let owners request a reimbursement to get back $1000 when the price went up by that much. I didn't take them up on that and got it for a lower price.

Since this is a discretionary expense, fairness is in the eye of the beholder. If it's too high, don't buy. If it's acceptable then buy it, or not. No one is forcing the purchase.

Tesla made no promise, implied or otherwise. Prices change. There is nothing unfair at all in Tesla updating their pricing.

Actually they did, they said this is the price if you order it with the car and this is the price if you add it later.

Later is a long time. Yup, if you think about it, it means forever. So that’s a promise in my book.

You do realize that EAP and FSD sold today is not the same definition as EAP and FSD advertised in 2017? If you have EAP from 2017, you already have all the currently implemented features of FSD as advertised today. Earlier this year, Tesla pulled out a sales trick and neutered EAP by moving EAP features to FSD, so they could claim they partially delivered on FSD (before that trick, not a single FSD feature was delivered).

Btw, Tesla is free to change prices any time they wish - it's their product. I have seen the price of the cars I bought in the past go down, as much as few thousand just 2-3 months later, but I as long as they deliver what I agreed to pay for, no problem for me.

Last edited:
Actually they did, they said this is the price if you order it with the car and this is the price if you add it later.

Later is a long time. Yup, if you think about it, it means forever. So that’s a promise in my book.

Those were the prices then, these are the prices now.

Prices change both up and down in this case. When you see one you like buy it.

If you don’t like it then roll the dice and wait to see where it goes next...

It never was a fixed price guarantee, and I’ll never understand why people think it should be...

They didn’t say “this is the current price if you add it later”. They said “this is the price if you add it later”. That is a big difference. One implies a transient price subject to change, the other says this is the price it will be. Period.

Words have specific and exact meanings. Lawyers make livings based on the exact meanings of words. You can say prices go up and down, and they do. We know this. But we’re not talking about our assumptions here, we’re talking just about exactly what was said, and what was said leaves no room for changes.

I don’t really have a dog in this fight. What people pay doesn’t affect me, I bought the FSD package when they discounted it.

I do understand what you are saying. I don’t agree.

Last edited:
So you’d expect to be able to pay that price in 5 years? 10 years? 15 without it changing? Your reasoning is completely uncompelling - did you read all the fine print related to the offer? Can you post it as I’d like to see what it actually said. if there was a ‘promise’ as you suggest someone would have likely already litigated it with Tesla.

• Disagree
Reactions: electronblue
I believe Tesla should honour the price for EAP and FSD stated when the order was placed. The car was advertised with “full self driving hardware” which can be enabled for a specific cost. That can very well be part of the original purchase decision, and part of the consideration of the original agreement to purchase.

Reactions: electronblue
I think Tesla should offer a lower price for EAP owners to add FSD compared to the new basic AP owners. I can't see the pricing since both our cars now have FSD, but from what I've read on the forum FSD is now one price for all. EAP owners have already paid for the current FSD features. The FSD package is not worth as much to them.

In the past people have been successful talking Tesla into the post-purchase price they were originally offered. I'm not sure that is working anymore.

I purchased in 2017 without AP. My after purchase price adjusted as well...so I waited. Went up to 11k. Way too much. I then bought during the 5k fire-sale.