Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Any 90D uncorkings?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I utilized the executive email contact option in My Tesla asking about my 198xxx vehicle built in May, and whether it qualified for an uncork. I was told only certain 75D and 100D vehicles are eligible. Obviously this could be misinformation. Maybe we're already at max performance? Or maybe we're a red headed step child with this damn silicon pack.

Screen Shot 2017-11-20 at 2.40.02 PM.png

Weird they say it's not possible especially since mine is a September Built car with the new drive unit at the very least. I don't understand the..."have the hardware for it" part?...

I'm guessing they are saying it's not possible just so the flood gates don't open. Just like how back in June they kept saying it wasn't possible to uncork 75D's...then look what happened.

There is circumstantial evidence that it is possible to uncork 90Ds from early 2017
on: Any news on 100D uncorking?

Also quoting my analysis from the 100D uncorking thread:

The reasoning here is BS. And here's my data points:

1. Just above we see @boonedocks' 100D produced 2/17 (with old motor configuration, same as 90D) is eligible for uncork. So it's not an issue with the motor.

2. Regarding battery packs limits:

Both 90D and 100D packs are 400V. This is 1.142X the voltage of the 75D pack (350v), some rough math tells me that if the uncorked 75Ds in @Krash 's metric summary are hitting 368KW, then scaling that X 1.142(which maintains the same current limits), the 90D pack should be able to hit 420KW.

420KW is coincidentally in the range of what the uncorked 100Ds are putting out...
*Upgraded performance Metrics Summary

Side note: I've also seen that my same 90D battery P/N (1088790-00-A) has been used in P90D configurations. (Which have much higher amperage limits).

Source: 2016 Model S P90D - $92k

• Informative
Reactions: Bebop
This is interesting.
When I got my 60D (now 75D with $2K battery upgrade), 90D was offered as well.
I remember it was 60(D), 75(D), 90D, P90D back then.

• Soon 60D got discontinued around early 2017.
• 75D back in 2016 Dec. was like $8.5~9K more expensive for mere extra 10.2 kwh usable battery.
• 60D made me upgrade 75D with only $2K
• Base Model S was $66,000. With referral, $1000 off the base price was $65,000 before tax.
• And my 60D built in Dec. 2016 is eligible for the speed upgrade to 4.2 seconds for free. I am getting this upgrade, this Friday.

This makes me lucky that I did not choose 90D, but instead went with 60D back then.
But somehow, I get the feeling that later on, Tesla will surprise 90D folks with AP 2.0 that they are eligible.

Been checking power draw under full throttle the past few days. I'm not sure if there's any software limitation in place here, and if there is, it's a curve rather than an absolute limit.

90% SOC: 350~ kW.
70% SOC: 330~ kW.
50% SOC: 300~ kW.

In April 2015, the 85D got a software update which added a sport mode and reduced 0-60 from 5.2 to 4.2. Sport mode was removed a month later and made 4.2 seconds standard. The 90D is effectively the same car (same battery voltage, amperage, etc) so uncorking already occurred for this platform back then which leads me to believe they won't get any more power out of them

• Disagree
Reactions: xborg
Sadly I was given the same answer last week: the 90D's are uncorked as the motors are already at the max level, according to the service team I was chatting with. They also showed me their service cheat sheet showing the various 75 and 100 upgrade results, and some of the differences were very minor, i.e.: 0.1 to 0.3 sec difference.

I had a mobile service technician at my home a few days ago fixing some rattles. I asked about uncorking, and he said he'd check. All the confidential internal notices he had access to on his computer addressed the 75D and 100D. When looking at my car's performance variables, he said it was P1 already, but the cork/uncork option was currently set to corked. He said he could uncork it, but he would probably lose his job without permission from Tesla.

I'd take this with a grain of salt since it's uncharted territory. Uncorking 90Ds may be possible - if it is, Tesla is holding back for whatever reason. If it's not, this option probably just exists and doesn't do anything regardless of its setting. Still, I'd really like to know what happens when reconfigured to uncorked. Maybe if 90D owners stir up some noise for a REAL official answer, we'll find out.

Reactions: Bebop
I'd much rather have an option to upgrade the processor to make the maps UI and touchscreen faster and more responsive like the Model 3. Even if there is a way to uncork the 90D, I think that the difference will be minimal and hardly noticeable. Model 3 UI makes the Model S feel a bit antiquated and goes against what Tesla is saying right now about Model 3 not being “Version 3 or the most advanced Tesla". So, either give us an option to upgrade the processor or make the maps/nav UI faster in the next software update.

That is very interesting. I'd be open to upgrading to a 100 kWh pack if the price was right.
yes my time with the 100D loaner only impressed me with the battery and the premium sound over my 90D and the other loaners I've had the opportunity to experience. For the difference between the 90D and the P85D I'd save the money on the P package on the next one.