Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Any 99 Safety Scores receive FSD Beta yet?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Although I agree that the current system is not that great for assessing individual driving safety, I contend that many people on this forum are looking at it the wrong way -- at least for the current purpose of selecting FSD beta testers. From Tesla's point of view, the goal is to manage a big increase in their beta-test program. Let that sink in a moment: It's a beta-test program. They need a lot of people who are reasonably good drivers, and they want to expand that pool gradually as they improve their software. This is NOT intended as a way to screen people to see who's "worthy" of "get[ting] the FSD [they] paid for YEARS AGO." It's about limiting the expansion of a beta-test program in a manageable way. Viewed in that way, the fact that the score is imperfect really isn't that important. Sooner or later, everybody who requested it and who scores above some point will get in, and the difference between a 99 and a 100 isn't really that important from Tesla's point of view -- but using a score based on an imperfect measure of driving safety is better than a truly random lottery, since Tesla wants to screen out the people who drive like lunatics or who fall asleep at the wheel with Autopilot engaged.

As we're discussing a beta-test program for software that controls a vehicle weighing thousands of pounds that can kill people if it gets something wrong, potential testers should fully understand the awesome responsibility that beta testers are undertaking. The software that some of us are getting is not a toy, or a reward, or what we've paid money for; it's incomplete software with both known and unknown bugs. It requires more supervision than a 16-year-old human who's learning to drive (judging by videos I've seen; I haven't yet gotten it). Judging by those videos, it appears that the software in its current state is likely to increase the stress and difficulty of driving, and it might even increase the odds of your getting into an accident. That's not a reward; it's a responsibility and a risk. The point of the beta-test program is to improve the software to the point where it will make driving easier and safer, but I don't think it's there yet.

My own advice is to be less eager to score high. Yes, it's frustrating to be "judged" by this mindless algorithm for an action that really is not unsafe. For the current purpose, though, it's best to view it from Tesla's perspective, as a way of managing entry into a beta-test program, rather than as commentary on your individual driving skill, or to become frustrated because your score means you'll get into that beta-test program later than somebody else.

All that said, if Tesla is using or will use these exact criteria for setting insurance rates, then I'm much more critical of it for that purpose. For the purpose of setting insurance rates, it has real monetary consequences for individuals, and a better scoring system becomes important. My own observation is that some ways to "game" the current scoring system can actually be unsafe. For instance, Autopilot does a poor job of setting speeds on exit ramps and merging onto highways; but engaging Autopilot to handle these tasks can help prevent the driver from being "dinged" for unavoidable issues in these circumstances, so the current system encourages unsafe driving in at least some situations. This is another reason I think people should curb their eagerness to get into the beta-test program. Although the scoring may discourage some unsafe driving habits, I'm concerned that this benefit may be offset by encouraging other unsafe habits, and that's just not worth it to get into a beta-test program a week or two earlier.

Personally, the more I think about it, the more I'm considering removing myself from the beta-test queue. Based on the videos I've seen, and my own experience with Navigate on Autopilot, I don't think this FSD-on-city-streets feature will be something I'd want to use for myself, at least in its current state; it's more about providing Tesla with more data that can be used to train its neural nets to do a better job in the future.

Adding on to what you wrote:

Keep in mind, for those of you who are frustrated at the amount of effort it's taking to maintain a good score, when you get FSD beta, you will be exerting MORE effort monitoring the system. Remember, you are not getting FSD the "finished" product. You are getting early access to test FSD that still sucks. So when you get FSD and use it, and you realize that it's too much effort to monitor it, you might stop using it. At which point, you're not doing what you signed up for, which is to test the software. If you intend to be a beta tester, you need to be prepared that you might not ever drive the car the way you want to. If you cannot accept that, then the best course of action is to forget about early access, the safety score, etc, and just enjoy your car like you used to.

Agreed, it has become a nightmare... I can't believe Tesla Insurance in Texas is going to implement this disaster of a monitoring system on its participants. Gaining 100% every damn day will put you in a neurotic nuthouse in no time. I'm a retired physician and this has to be one of the most obsessive compulsive disorder generating programs I've ever willingly undergone, only to get the FSD I paid for YEARS AGO... It is truly maddening...
I agree with you 100%. the fact that people are out there driving without braking or making a regular normal two stop turn. Instead they have to game the system and barely break and make huge wide turns to not get dinged- it’s insane. I wouldn’t enroll Tesla insurance because I would truly hate driving my car and be afraid of incurring the wrath of an errant miscalculation. They should be keeping metrics like how many times your car sensor goes off from front or rear collisions, if you swerve unpredictably or if you accelerate 20 mph over the speed limit or in residential areas. Or if you blow past a stop sign or go through red lights. These are actual dangerous risky driving behavior.

Keep in mind, for those of you who are frustrated at the amount of effort it's taking to maintain a good score, when you get FSD beta, you will be exerting MORE effort monitoring the system. Remember, you are not getting FSD the "finished" product. You are getting early access to test FSD that still sucks. So when you get FSD and use it, and you realize that it's too much effort to monitor it, you might stop using it. At which point, you're not doing what you signed up for, which is to test the software. If you intend to be a beta tester, you need to be prepared that you might not ever drive the car the way you want to. If you cannot accept that, then the best course of action is to forget about early access, the safety score, etc, and just enjoy your car like you used to.
I totally understand where you coming from. This is after all a beta test of FSD. I understand that. But this after years of empty promises about FSD being around the corner or being told by Elon that existing hardware of MCU/autopilot was sufficient to do full self driving. Also the way the system is calculating our safety score is deeply and horribly flawed. You can understand why so many of us are upset. It is like being over promised and under delivering. Then limiting access to something we were promised years ago as a beta access and then limiting the access to a flawed judging system. It’s like insult after another. I am a huge tesla fan, i bought into their ecosystem but at least can be impartial after this and say they need to improve on how they judge their safety score.

Reactions: nvx1977

And let's not forget that the beta program is not only selecting 'safe' drivers but also drivers who drive in an environment that is 'safe'. I've seen posts from folks claiming that they are safe drivers, but they drive in an aggressive environment (Los Angeles for example), and are getting dinged for things that are due to other drivers. Tesla is selecting safe drivers in a safe environment.

Same here. was 1 FCW in when I learned a normal reset of the car loses the current drive.

While I have not lost any love for the car, I'm growing tired of not driving it as it was built for. My wife refuses to drive at all anymore, the one time she did, she got a 92. I've built back to a 99, however I'm part of the AP2.0 camera crowd, so not sure I will even be graced with 10.3 this coming Friday :(
I am in that boat. I have a 99 and autopilot 2.0. I did update my computer as part of the FSD package. But dont know if even if the 10.3 beta is coming to me.

Reactions: KArnold and WinterX
I totally understand where you coming from. This is after all a beta test of FSD. I understand that. But this after years of empty promises about FSD being around the corner or being told by Elon that existing hardware of MCU/autopilot was sufficient to do full self driving. Also the way the system is calculating our safety score is deeply and horribly flawed. You can understand why so many of us are upset. It is like being over promised and under delivering. Then limiting access to something we were promised years ago as a beta access and then limiting the access to a flawed judging system. It’s like insult after another. I am a huge tesla fan, i bought into their ecosystem but at least can be impartial after this and say they need to improve on how they judge their safety score.
agreed. I also think it's not fair to subject people beyond the first cohort to continue to maintain their scores. It should have been 1 snapshot and done. Or it could have been a fixed 7 days from when you pushed the button. This way everyone was subject to the same criteria.

Just be careful about thinking that if you get this early access FSD, it will ease your frustration re: being an early FSD purchaser, or putting down a big chunk of money. You're likely still going to feel frustrated you didn't get what you paid for. Think advanced summon.

Reactions: AlanSubie4Life

I could not disagree more. Making me drive like a rude, inconsiderate (and at time dangerous) imbecile has absolutely nothing to do with how I would monitor the car when it is doing the driving. A more appropriate metric would be judging me soley on how often (and appropriately) I use AP/NoA, which requires a similar level of attention the beta does, because it too, is an unfinished product.

It's a beta-test program. They need a lot of people who are reasonably good drivers, and they want to expand that pool gradually as they improve their software. This is NOT intended as a way to screen people to see who's "worthy" of "get[ting] the FSD [they] paid for YEARS AGO." It's about limiting the expansion of a beta-test program in a manageable way.

We have not seen an example of Tesla moving a paid feature out of Beta. They tests alpha versions against a closed group and roll out to the fleet where the beta moniker remains in perpetuity. Especially with the NHTSA bearing down, what reasonable expectation do we have that Tesla would drop that designation, and these requirements, anytime in the next, say, 5 years? It shields them from a lot of liability and they can recognize revenue on it. They are highly disincentivized from removing these reqs, and they have a long history of just pushing a feature into 'beta' and never changing it.

Reactions: Dan D.
I think the easiest way is to leave and rejoin the beta to reset your score - as long as you time it just right so you can get 100 miles of 100 score driving that ends on Thursday/Friday.
Of course there really is no guarantee, we already know there a lots of folks posting on here that they had a 100 score and still didn't get the beta.
There's also the "investor" with a sub 50 score who got the beta, so the handshake network is alive and well and its what I suspected.
The score itself has nothing to do with safety, its a maguffin to find the folks willing to go above and beyond in order to get the beta.
Has anyone tried leaving and rejoining the queue to see if it works? I have a 99 score, so as long as I maintain that I guess I don't need to worry about it. Still, for the folks with less than 99 it might be an option (if it works!).

Has anyone tried leaving and rejoining the queue to see if it works? I have a 99 score, so as long as I maintain that I guess I don't need to worry about it. Still, for the folks with less than 99 it might be an option (if it works!).
It works. There are folks in the Tesla Discord reporting it working. Some even left it last Monday, and were included in the unmentioned rollout to more 100's this past Fri Morning.

From the comments I've read, you have to leave. Then wait for the SS to not be seen in the app, then rejoin. ppl are stating 20-30 mins for it to disappear.

(Edit: I'd recommend driving at least 100miles before Friday. More if they up that figure obv. )

Reactions: Darmie and edseloh
I could not disagree more. Making me drive like a rude, inconsiderate (and at time dangerous) imbecile has absolutely nothing to do with how I would monitor the car when it is doing the driving. A more appropriate metric would be judging me soley on how often (and appropriately) I use AP/NoA, which requires a similar level of attention the beta does, because it too, is an unfinished product.
I didn't say the experiences were the same. I'm talking about the amount of attention and effort put into the safety score, and the attention and effort needed to prevent FSD from wrecking. I am also addressing the people who want to be done with curating their score so they can have fun with their cars. My point is that if you are consenting to be a beta tester, you'll be using FSD and submitting constant feedback to Tesla, and that might not be compatible with the "fun" you had with your car before any of this started.

I'm not suggesting that everyone give up on getting into the early access testing. I just want to inform people of what they're getting themselves into.

It works. There are folks in the Tesla Discord reporting it working. Some even left it last Monday, and were included in the unmentioned rollout to more 100's this past Fri Morning.

From the comments I've read, you have to leave. Then wait for the SS to not be seen in the app, then rejoin. ppl are stating 20-30 mins for it to disappear.

(Edit: I'd recommend driving at least 100miles before Friday. More if they up that figure obv. )
I really want to do this but I'm thinking Tesla needs to see the real true data. We're all safe drivers. We didn't buy a Ford Pinto!

• Funny
Reactions: WinterX

Agreed 100%. I’ve watched dozens of FSD videos and I don’t know that I’d really ever use it. I think at this point it’s more FOMO than anything else.

I think the easiest way is to leave and rejoin the beta to reset your score - as long as you time it just right so you can get 100 miles of 100 score driving that ends on Thursday/Friday
Does this really work? Leaving the beta and rejoining resets your score?

I'm at a 98 right now and I have to drive a ton of miles to get up to a 99. I can do 100mi by fri no problem...

Sorry, was answered as I typed it out heh

I am at 99. Racked up at least 600 miles. Still awaiting FSD beta. I saw a 100 safety score post they received a download in second wave of invites.
Sounds like me. Stuck on 99 after racking up 649 miles to bring it up from a 96 because of one bad day. I'm afraid to pull out of the garage until I get FSD out of fear of dropping to a 98 and having to wait probably at least 2 more weeks. Been driving my wife's minivan everywhere in the meantime.

I just went ahead and opted out of the beta and will opt in once the safety score comes back. I was sitting at 95 score after having a 273 mile drive first day it was released with a safety score of 91 and return trip home of like 93. It's been a mission to get it back up to 95 even, think I have a better chance of getting all my old data wiped and driving better this time around now understanding that nothing in AP is being recorded. Just so that I am aware, I won't get dinged for lets say having AP engaged with speed set to 85 or 90 and taking a curve on the highway? Will that ding me? I just need to set it on AP on highway and not pass people, that behavior had me sitting at like 28% unsafe following =/

Making me drive like a rude, inconsiderate (and at time dangerous) imbecile

If you didn't like the Safety Score doing that, you should check out FSD Beta. It's truly next level in that regard.

I think at this point it’s more FOMO than anything else.
Yeah. I definitely understand where people are coming from, but at this point there's not that much pleasure in using FSD Beta.

I use FSD Beta when I can, and when I am in the appropriate frame of mind, so I can report issues. But if I want to go somewhere and be relaxed and refreshed when I arrive, and have a nice smooth & pleasant drive, I don't bother using it. The Safety Score gave me a lot of good practice at optimizing my smooth driving techniques; I had gotten tolerant of being abrupt with the steering (what else are RE-71Rs for, after all). Now it's a nice challenge to work on carrying maximum speed through a corner with minimum g forces for that speed.

Last edited:
I tried to get to 100 last weekend. Drove 1400 miles haha.

I learned that if you're on autopilot you're good. I was on the 5 freeway in construction and the lanes suddenly got curvy. A BMW SUV was in the right lane and came super close to my lane while on AP. Had to jerk the steering wheel, brake, AND got a FCW. I pulled over thinking it was game over but to my surprise, 0 % for everything and 100 for that drive.

It's the second you disengage autopilot to drive normally and you're too close is when you get dinged.

Drove on the 91 freeway was on AP but had to disengage and was kind of close to someone. I re engaged autopilot thinking it was no big deal, came home with 50% unsafe following.

Overall, it's taught me to be a better driver and not drive so close to people haha.
BTW to lower your unsafe following just drive above 50 mph with no cars around you.
Also, FCW kills your score because it's the highest weighted.

And worse comes to worse when you arrive, do a hard reset and it won't count that trip.
Drove like 3 miles one day and was on AP but it gave off a FCW because it thought it was too close to a curb.
I didnt' risk it so I did a hard rest (until the tesla logo appeared) and it didn't count that trip