Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Any 99 Safety Scores receive FSD Beta yet?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Although I agree that the current system is not that great for assessing individual driving safety, I contend that many people on this forum are looking at it the wrong way -- at least for the current purpose of selecting FSD beta testers. From Tesla's point of view, the goal is to manage a big increase in their beta-test program. Let that sink in a moment: It's a beta-test program. They need a lot of people who are reasonably good drivers, and they want to expand that pool gradually as they improve their software. This is NOT intended as a way to screen people to see who's "worthy" of "get[ting] the FSD [they] paid for YEARS AGO." It's about limiting the expansion of a beta-test program in a manageable way. Viewed in that way, the fact that the score is imperfect really isn't that important. Sooner or later, everybody who requested it and who scores above some point will get in, and the difference between a 99 and a 100 isn't really that important from Tesla's point of view -- but using a score based on an imperfect measure of driving safety is better than a truly random lottery, since Tesla wants to screen out the people who drive like lunatics or who fall asleep at the wheel with Autopilot engaged.

As we're discussing a beta-test program for software that controls a vehicle weighing thousands of pounds that can kill people if it gets something wrong, potential testers should fully understand the awesome responsibility that beta testers are undertaking. The software that some of us are getting is not a toy, or a reward, or what we've paid money for; it's incomplete software with both known and unknown bugs. It requires more supervision than a 16-year-old human who's learning to drive (judging by videos I've seen; I haven't yet gotten it). Judging by those videos, it appears that the software in its current state is likely to increase the stress and difficulty of driving, and it might even increase the odds of your getting into an accident. That's not a reward; it's a responsibility and a risk. The point of the beta-test program is to improve the software to the point where it will make driving easier and safer, but I don't think it's there yet.

My own advice is to be less eager to score high. Yes, it's frustrating to be "judged" by this mindless algorithm for an action that really is not unsafe. For the current purpose, though, it's best to view it from Tesla's perspective, as a way of managing entry into a beta-test program, rather than as commentary on your individual driving skill, or to become frustrated because your score means you'll get into that beta-test program later than somebody else.

All that said, if Tesla is using or will use these exact criteria for setting insurance rates, then I'm much more critical of it for that purpose. For the purpose of setting insurance rates, it has real monetary consequences for individuals, and a better scoring system becomes important. My own observation is that some ways to "game" the current scoring system can actually be unsafe. For instance, Autopilot does a poor job of setting speeds on exit ramps and merging onto highways; but engaging Autopilot to handle these tasks can help prevent the driver from being "dinged" for unavoidable issues in these circumstances, so the current system encourages unsafe driving in at least some situations. This is another reason I think people should curb their eagerness to get into the beta-test program. Although the scoring may discourage some unsafe driving habits, I'm concerned that this benefit may be offset by encouraging other unsafe habits, and that's just not worth it to get into a beta-test program a week or two earlier.

Personally, the more I think about it, the more I'm considering removing myself from the beta-test queue. Based on the videos I've seen, and my own experience with Navigate on Autopilot, I don't think this FSD-on-city-streets feature will be something I'd want to use for myself, at least in its current state; it's more about providing Tesla with more data that can be used to train its neural nets to do a better job in the future.
Exactly. Everyone wanted to know how they could become beta testers too, so Tesla came up with the best solution they could to grow the sample size in a manageable way. Is it an imperfect measure? Most definitely, but I am so tired of hearing people whine about barriers to “getting what I paid for.” I totally sympathize with owners who have been waiting years for software they paid for, but that’s a different issue. It does seem that Tesla could have communicated more clearly regarding what owners were buying and what TESTERS are testing. When I ordered my 3 in May 2021, it was perfectly clear to me what the FSD option entailed and I opted not to add it because I normally only keep my car a couple of years. It only seemed worth it if you were investing in a car you would be enjoying well into the future. I can only speculate that at some point the disclaimers were less clear and the promises more lofty.

1634997350352.png

• Informative
Reactions: El joe and K5TRX
In NYC, racked up more than 300 miles since joining 4 days ago. Score is at 100.. still haven't gotten anything. I read somewhere that as soon as you hit 100 miles with 100 score, you get it overnight. Is that not correct?
Musks latest tweet said that there was issues with the current beta. Delayed until tomorrow.

There is a point where the drive is considered over and the safety score is saved. It appears to be the same point that triggers pin to drive. So if you reset any time before the drive is "over" it will not save the safety score data for that drive.

My procedure to record the safety score for a drive is:
  1. Stop and shift to park.
  2. Unbuckle seat belt.
  3. Open the door.
  4. Lift butt out of seat.
So I believe that if you haven't done #4 yet, then you should be able to reset without recording the safety score data for your drive. Shifting into park does not seem to be the trigger as I've done this many times without ending the drive.
To set a trip as completed so that your score will be uploaded to the app:
  1. Stop and press Park.
  2. Press 🚘 Control > Safety & Security >Power Off > Power Off
When you are ready to go again, just touch press the brake pedal and Drive or Reverse as normal.

To set a trip as completed so that your score will be uploaded to the app:
  1. Stop and press Park.
When you are ready to go again, just touch press the brake pedal and Drive or Reverse as normal.
I tried pulling over, putting it in park, opening door, and lifting off seat, away from home. No score update. Got home, same thing, but no open door, no update, opened door, score updated. Each time I pulled down on the screen to refresh the app. The 5 miles I drove and rebooted, and opened door (due to screen jitter of course) were not counted. I’m back in, the beta system is not fair (yet) and neither am I (yet). I assume this is all subject to change without notice.

I tried pulling over, putting it in park, opening door, and lifting off seat, away from home. No score update. Got home, same thing, but no open door, no update, opened door, score updated. Each time I pulled down on the screen to refresh the app...
Pulling over and parking can end the current trip if you wait long enough. I don't know how many minutes to wait.
The power off trick works instantly to set the trip as completed every time.
  1. Stop and press Park.

In NYC, racked up more than 300 miles since joining 4 days ago. Score is at 100.. still haven't gotten anything. I read somewhere that as soon as you hit 100 miles with 100 score, you get it overnight. Is that not correct?
I converted the Tesla Safety Score tips and rules to a PDF from the support section of Tesla's website, and searched for 100 miles, but didn't see it. It states data is collected for up to 30 days. I know all of this is chaotic, and I've seen plenty of someone said this, and I heard this, which is helpful, but I don't see the actual source for the 100 mile rule. I may have missed it, but I certainly know why people are asking. It's a system in beta. Does it work as stated ? Probably not. I'm avoiding needless miles on my car, but always interested in system analysis, but there's lots of people smarter than I am here.

From Tesla

Determining Your Safety Score
In order to calculate your daily Safety Score, we use the Predicted Collision Frequency (PCF) formula below to predict how many collisions may occur per 1 million miles driven, based on your driving behaviors measured by your Tesla vehicle. Driving on Autopilot (including 3 seconds after Autopilot is disengaged) will not be factored into the Safety Score formula, but the miles driven while on Autopilot are included in the total.
1.014495Forward Collision Warning per 1,000 Miles x 1.127294Hard Braking
x 1.019630Aggressive Turning
x 1.001444Unsafe Following Time
x 1.317958Forced Autopilot Disengagement
The current formula was derived based on statistical modeling using 6 billion miles of fleet data. We expect to make changes to the formula in the future as we gain more customer and data insights.

The PCF is converted into a 0 to 100 Safety Score using the following formula: Safety Score = 115.382324 - 22.526504 x PCF
Your daily Safety Score is not impacted by the number of miles or hours you drive. We combine your daily Safety Scores (up to 30 days) into a mileage-weighted average to calculate the aggregated Safety Score, which is displayed on the main ‘Safety Score’ screen of the Tesla app.
Note: Since vehicles with hardware older than Autopilot computer 2.0 do not measure following distance, Forward Collisions Warnings per 1,000 Miles and Unsafe Following Time is replaced by default values of 10.2 and 15.8% in the PCF formula, respectively. For these vehicles, the value of 115.382324 is replaced by 118.773666 in the Safety Score formula.

Reactions: edseloh and K5TRX
what's the highest score anyone with a early AP 2.0->3.0 model S / X has seen? I think the sucky cameras have something to do with a low score and they recently discovered this was gonna be a showstopper for FSD beta with the advent of the telemetry from the AP 2.0->3.0 early cars. . I drive a 3 also and the score is in the 90's on that car?!!