Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Any 99 Safety Scores receive FSD Beta yet?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Got FSD yesterday evening as well. Been at 99 for 2+ weeks.

Mostly good so far, but it did make a bad mistake leaving a parking lot last night. missed the left turn (even though it was plotted perfect on the screen). Continued straight towards a curb, a dense row of trees and a drop off (the main road it wanted was on the other side of all this). I let it play out, thinking it would make a u turn (plenty of room) and go back to the initial exit. It started to do that, but then straightened up at the last moment and accelerated towards the curb/trees/hill. Had to slam on brakes, and managed to break 3 eggs :-(

But instead of licking wounds and heading home, I decided to try it again from the exact same parking spot - this time it worked flawlessly. So strange.

Reactions: Driver08
So I just had my maiden voyage with FSD, and the one thing that I noticed immediately is that the car will center itself on the road when there are no lane markings, and there are no lane markings on any of the neighborhood roads that I know of. Anyone else notice this? If a car comes in the other direction, my car will eventually move over, but not until quite late. It's very unnerving. I don't understand why it doesn't stay on the right-hand side of the road.

So I just had my maiden voyage with FSD, and the one thing that I noticed immediately is that the car will center itself on the road when there are no lane markings, and there are no lane markings on any of the neighborhood roads that I know of. Anyone else notice this? If a car comes in the other direction, my car will eventually move over, but not until quite late. It's very unnerving. I don't understand why it doesn't stay on the right-hand side of the road.
I've experienced the same thing, all the roads in my local neighborhood are this way.

Reactions: Tpstulane
I did my first test drive on my test route of 5 mile loop. It was a disaster! I must have had to intervene a dozen times. crossing a major street from a red light creeped into the intersection and them like I was at a drag strip speeded up to 35mph in about 20 feet and the street on the other side had no lane markings so it was ping ponging at 30 mph and then another car turned onto the road and I was aimed right for him for a head-on collision. I'm sure the other guy thought I must have been drunk or suicidal. It then tried to aim through two cars parked leaving a narrow path. I had to take over again thinking I was about to crash. Made it through but my mirrors folded in. then it took a hair pin turn at full speed never slowing down only to slam on the brakes at a stop sign. When it took clearly marked speed bumps at 35mph I decided I had had enough for this route and shut it down.

It can see a road with no lines but it either goes down the center or ping pongs. Steering is always last split second and over steer. Speed is either really fast or creeps. On roads with good lane markings it was fine. I thought it would be much better in the neighborhoods but not yet. I was not prepared for erratic oversteering and rapid acceleration after creeping for a few seconds. I can see this FSD beta will wear out my tires and brakes fast.

I think I need to find a thread for newbie FSD beta experiences.

Reactions: tivoboy
I did my first test drive on my test route of 5 mile loop. It was a disaster! I must have had to intervene a dozen times. crossing a major street from a red light creeped into the intersection and them like I was at a drag strip speeded up to 35mph in about 20 feet and the street on the other side had no lane markings so it was ping ponging at 30 mph and then another car turned onto the road and I was aimed right for him for a head-on collision. I'm sure the other guy thought I must have been drunk or suicidal. It then tried to aim through two cars parked leaving a narrow path. I had to take over again thinking I was about to crash. Made it through but my mirrors folded in. then it took a hair pin turn at full speed never slowing down only to slam on the brakes at a stop sign. When it took clearly marked speed bumps at 35mph I decided I had had enough for this route and shut it down.

It can see a road with no lines but it either goes down the center or ping pongs. Steering is always last split second and over steer. Speed is either really fast or creeps. On roads with good lane markings it was fine. I thought it would be much better in the neighborhoods but not yet. I was not prepared for erratic oversteering and rapid acceleration after creeping for a few seconds. I can see this FSD beta will wear out my tires and brakes fast.

I think I need to find a thread for newbie FSD beta experiences.
First FSD drive this AM, similar to above, but on a general level, I would need to record the drive to be able to document the numerous errors the car made in a two mile drive. A few major observations though, in two categories, and I was on the chill profile.

In my newly paved unmarked streets: It wanted to stay in the center, and drove in the opposite direction of a destination I had set two miles away, and ended up going in circles like it was lost. It was very jerky, and due to parked cars, it stopped and creeped until it could see it was safe to proceed when turning, and if another car came the other way it slowed down to a stop at one point. Generally, I had to intervene constantly because other cars were driving in the neighborhood. I felt like I was always fighting the car, or forcing a decision to be made. I think it may need to relearn this area. I have driven this area hundreds of times, but they allow big trucks to park on corners, making them blind. Even difficult for a human.

Well marked streets: It was better, but didn't slow for speed humps, and for a simple route with one right turn and one left turn, it said turn right before the street, but proceeded without turning. It made one successful right turn. That's the part I remember.

This is beta.. and more cars on the road than I thought. It seems like I should plan a simple trip with a well defined route, drive it with FSD off, then again with FSD on, and if the FSD trip requires constant intervention, I'll force the car to take the programmed route, then try it again. The most important thing to me at this point, is how to best "teach the car" and how to revert to completely safe manual driving, which seems like a tap on the brakes. After this, I'll move to a less congested area with wide streets, and well marked. Robotaxi does not come to mind yet, nor should it.

Reactions: tivoboy
Yes, the bias towards the center is too much. I've seen this with and without lines. It feel like playing chicken when a car is coming - I'm not sure when it eventually gets over, but whenever it is it is much too close for my comfort - I've taken manual control each time.

Reactions: Tpstulane
Yes, the bias towards the center is too much. I've seen this with and without lines. It feel like playing chicken when a car is coming - I'm not sure when it eventually gets over, but whenever it is it is much too close for my comfort - I've taken manual control each time.
I seem to have quite the opposite bias, to the RIGHT or the side where a car would be parked on the side of the road. If I were a Y with a slightly higher mirror on the right side, and passing a dualy parked on the right with a larger than average mirror sticking out, our mirrors would collide no question about it. It’s easily 18 inches from the right center yellow bias for my car. I continue to want to pull the car back close to the center a bit, but try my best not to manually disengage. Could the cars interpret things differently? That would make no sense from a predictability standpoint but my M3 bias and yours seem quite different.

I seem to have quite the opposite bias, to the RIGHT or the side where a car would be parked on the side of the road. If I were a Y with a slightly higher mirror on the right side, and passing a dualy parked on the right with a larger than average mirror sticking out, our mirrors would collide no question about it. It’s easily 18 inches from the right center yellow bias for my car. I continue to want to pull the car back close to the center a bit, but try my best not to manually disengage. Could the cars interpret things differently? That would make no sense from a predictability standpoint but my M3 bias and yours seem quite different.
Strange - I've seen this (middle bias) on narrow roads in our neighborhood, and on a fairly wide road this morning. The wide road could easily be 4 lanes if it had lines, and we were straddling the crown the entire length (about 3/4 mile)