Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Any advantage to upgrade to performance summer tires for 75D?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
There won't be much difference in handling unless you change your wheels to 21".
I tried two different tires on my 19" rims, very minor difference.
Then bought some 21" rims second hand and the difference was night and day. A bit harsher/noisier on the 21s, but much better handling. Also my average energy usage went from 184Wh/km to 201Wh/km (65,000km on 19s and 10,000km on the 21s, so numbers will be pretty reliable.

Thanks for sharing your experience, @jddssc121 So you don't notice much of a harsher ride with the larger wheels and sportier tires?

Thanks for the article, @dark cloud. I'll check that out.

I don't notice any increased harshness, and really don't even notice any more road noise. The PSS is a great tire. I've had other summer tires on other cars that sound like an airplane taking off when you're on the freeway, but the acoustic stuff they jam in this tire for tesla really works. It might be louder vs. All Seasons on paper, but i don't notice any different when I'm driving.

• Informative
Reactions: EvolutionTeʂla
i went from the 19" all seasons up to the 21" arachnids with the PSS tires.

Can i notice a difference? Yes. It's a bit more planted when I floor it, and it's a bit more stable if i come out of a corner hard. For more normal driving I don't notice anything different (except when the tire bill comes due:))

As an aside, I will say that going up the 21" wheel size makes a HUGE (no pun intended) difference in how the car looks. Side by side pictures don't do justice to how much different (i think for the better) that the car looks when going from 19" to 21". I personally would recommend the arachnids over the turbines as forged > cast. You can usually find a new set complete with new tires listed here on the forums for sale ~$3,000. But as has been discussed to death, with the lower profile tire comes the increased risk of tire/wheel damage. If you find that unacceptable, then ignore what I just wrote :)

So true. Well said. The 21's completely change the look of the S. I find the handling much nicer, and the mIchelins - though pricey - are worth every penny with how smooth they are, and how well they preform.

Another vote for the 21s if you are looking for performance and style. Also, I have the Falken performance tires on my 21s and am very happy with them - well reviewed and less expensive. Just an option...

Thanks for the information and recommendations, guys. @SSedan: Yes, I just discovered this setting this morning, ha ha. I tried setting it to "low" for the past few days but it kept automatically raising up to "normal" when I'd park or drive around for a while. Hopefully it will stay on "low" now that I've adjusted the speed setting slider all the way to the left, like you suggested. It gives the car a sportier-looking stance as well...but after all of the glowing reviews, I may need to try to find a used set of 21s next summer. Maybe I could get a bit more for my 19s if I decide to sell them since I had them powder-coated in the Tesla sonic carbon colour (looks much better than the silver slipstreams, IMO).