Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Any adverse effect to xmas easter egg?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

verygreen

Curious member
Jan 16, 2017
TN
So I am sure some people use this a lot. Any adverse effects seen? It did not look like the thing is super gentle on the Falcon Wing doors so I resisted the temptation for the longest time, but then in the end broke down and tried it myself a couple of times.

Right after that there was some audible groaning when operating the FWDs for the next few times that day that since subdued. This was back in September at the national drive electric week or whatever.

Anyway I got reminded of this all today when I was looking into the logs for some unrelated reasons and found that actually ever since the car has asserted a warning: BCCEN_w124_holidayParty

So... anybody ever got any flak from Service Center for running this or had any adverse consequences or can share something related I wonder?

• Informative
Reactions: number12
I and a number of others have had the mirrors stop folding after using the Xmas egg. It's a relatively easy fix - OTA if the Service Center knows what it's doing and if you have good signal....but if signal's poor, it means a trip to the SvC.

And.....at least with me....the next time you perform the stunt your mirrors once again don't fold.

Ugh.

Haven't noticed any other untoward effects.

It does seem to take the doors into positions higher than normal (even when fully opened) and extended farther at same time. I'd say it is putting unneeded strain on them, their spring components (the FWDs have a huge spring at hinge), etc. I haven't done it but may sometime, but not a lot if do.

I guess do it now more while your under warranty ;-)

I imagine if you ran it 24x7, it might eventually break something, but it doesn't do anything the car shouldn't be able to handle. I wouldn't worry about the SC giving you flak for using it, they added it to a menu to make it easier to access. Personally, I'd rather any hidden defects present themselves early and while under warranty.

I and a number of others have had the mirrors stop folding after using the Xmas egg. It's a relatively easy fix - OTA if the Service Center knows what it's doing and if you have good signal....but if signal's poor, it means a trip to the SvC.

And.....at least with me....the next time you perform the stunt your mirrors once again don't fold.

Ugh.

Haven't noticed any other untoward effects.
When I called in today to have my mirrors reset, the rep said he would also push the latest update to my car which he claimed would fix the issue for good. I've also seen it posted somewhere that 17.38 fixes the issue. So hopefully we're near the end of this annoyance.

It does seem to take the doors into positions higher than normal (even when fully opened) and extended farther at same time. I'd say it is putting unneeded strain on them, their spring components (the FWDs have a huge spring at hinge), etc. I haven't done it but may sometime, but not a lot if do.

I guess do it now more while your under warranty ;-)
This! My doors go at least a few inches higher during Model Xmas than they ever do in normal use, even when opening completely. I wish my doors went that high in normal use because sometimes, especially when parking next to a tall curb, taller people have to duck or risk hitting their head. I was thinking of asking the service center if there is any adjustment they can do to get them to open a little higher on full open.

I never ran xmas as I was afraid it would put extra wear and tear. Still yet to see one in person
I bet, as a kid, you never took your comics out of the protective bags? Just play with the damn thing.

To be fair, immediately after doing the first xmas show, my passenger FWD started clicking, but I eventually to it in to the SC and they fixed it and it hasn't been a problem since. No other ill effects from running the show a few dozen times.

Nice use of Xmas Easter egg...
Did you notice near the end end that a cyclist almost got decapitated by those FWD doors? Wasn't there someone on this forum that predicted that would happen?!? ;)

• Funny
Reactions: K-MTG