Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Any Advice before Ordering?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello Everyone, I’m about to order my Model 3 this weekend.

Before I ordered I just wanted to consult you guys to see if you have any advice. I’ll tell you a little about myself.
I’m 24. Living in NY. Income about 5k a month. Credit score 750ish. After my test drive they said the APR would be 2.49. I heard I could get lower if I email them later on before delivery so I’ll try that.
I’m a check Geico for insurance once I get a VIN.
I plan to finance over 72 months.

Anything thing else I should think about or do before or during the order process. Or any advice you can think of.

Thank you guys. I’m looking forward to this and doing some mods.

Before I ordered I just wanted to consult you guys to see if you have any advice. I’ll tell you a little about myself.
I’m 24. Living in NY. Income about 5k a month. Credit score 750ish. After my test drive they said the APR would be 2.49. I heard I could get lower if I email them later on before delivery so I’ll try that.

Anything thing else I should think about or do before or during the order process. Or any advice you can think of.

Don't get excited and forget to use a referral link. I did.

Check out the thread on here about best loan rates. You can probably do better at a credit union.

Reactions: Sandmaster
the main thing i would do right now is place your order, and depending on your state upload your current insurance... try to keep your tesla profile up to date online but the quicker you get your order in the better time you'll have riding out the wait , download the app, watch the videos, watch a bunch of tesla youtube videos, come here for therapy and await the VIN

the main thing i would do right now is place your order, and depending on your state upload your current insurance... try to keep your tesla profile up to date online but the quicker you get your order in the better time you'll have riding out the wait , download the app, watch the videos, watch a bunch of tesla youtube videos, come here for therapy and await the VIN
Also don't finance right away. Chose cash and then have them change it to finance later after you've gotten a VIN.

Reactions: jjrandorin
The first thing you should know is that Tesla does not do any type of pre-delivery communication. They won't contact you until your car is on the delivery truck and you can't contact them at any stage. You can chat all you want with those salespeople you met but they don't have access to Tesla's system. It's not really a problem but it's shocking if you don't know to expect it.

Second, they usually deliver to the US in the last week of each quarter. Expect the "November" estimate to evolve well into December. They almost never miss the end of year though, so you can be pretty sure to get your car in December.

The price will probably go up between now and December - certainly if the tax credit is reinstated, but Tesla will keep your original price. Unless the price goes down, then they'll adjust accordingly. It's a win-win for you.

The delivery date estimate on your account page will jump around all the time, it will change formats and sometimes disappear altogether. Pay no attention. It means nothing.

You can't do anything "off-menu". You order accessories from their online store. You make service appointments thru the app after taking delivery. That's it. Don't try to get them to deliver it with a garage opener or winter tires or whatever - they can't. If you can't click on it, it can't be done.

The charger it comes with can be nicely wall mounted and is perfectly well suited to home charging on a 30-50A circuit. All you need is a pigtail to match your outlet. You don't need to keep the charger in the car as you'll never find a suitable outlet on the road. All you need is the included J1772 adapter in case a proper Tesla charger isn't nearby. But you might want to take the charger with you to other houses (parents, cabin, Airbnb, etc.) so you might consider the Wall Connector - the installation is a little cheaper than an outlet since it doesn't require a GFCI, outlet, box, or pigtail so it may only cost $300 more than an outlet rather than the $500 it appears to at first glance.

Sell your old car as soon as you can. The market is insane right now! Put your VIN into Carvana, Carmax and CarbuyerUSA for instant quotes. They're all competing for inventory and paying well above market value. Who knows how long this will last. You can also trade in with Tesla but your offer will expire before delivery so you'll need to redo it. Note that some states will fine you if you don't trade in with the same dealer you're buying from.

Your car will be a 2022 model year and will be almost identical to the 2021's. It'll come with a suitable USB drive for music, sentry, dashcam, and boombox and it will have a new "bluetooth" TPMS sensors that are not yet commonplace - important to know in case you get a set of winter or track wheels.

The car will arrive with some assembly issues since they don't do a traditional "dealer prep" so expect to have it serviced right away and then hopefully never again. Congrats and enjoy!

The price will probably go up between now and December - certainly if the tax credit is reinstated, but Tesla will keep your original price. Unless the price goes down, then they'll adjust accordingly. It's a win-win for you.

New potential customer here too - looking to replace my Bolt that GM is buying back from me. First time post here. I test drove an M3 for the first time Saturday and absolutely love it. The new SR+ LFP battery sounds good for my needs, but I'm reading that it'll be cheaper to produce and there's speculation the M3 price may go down some. So I thought look around here for any discussions on price and whether I should buy sooner vs. later. I understand the tax credit could impact that, but I'm hearing the tax credit may be of little or no help with Tesla. I'm a bit surprised to see you expect a price increase rather than a decrease. Are there additional factors that I just don't know about?

Tesla has quite a reputation for making surprise price cuts but I wouldn't expect to see any within the next 6 months. They are overwhelmed with orders and are struggling with supply issues (removing radar and lumbar for example). Often they cut prices to undercut competition (Taycan and Mach E for example) or to adjust for expiring tax credits but neither scenario is occurring this year.

As I understand it, the LFP battery offering is also a response to supply issues and though it may not be an inferior battery it is less expensive to produce and I would expect them to simply take the higher profit margin rather than try to seduce even more buyers to join their long waiting list with a lower price.

It appears that the primary goal of the tax credit will be to subsidize US automakers. The second goal will be to exclude Tesla. But the actual "advertised" goal of promoting EVs for environmental and geopolitical reasons is mostly misleading. It's an "infrastructure" bill, not an "environmental" bill. They don't really care about EVs or anything, they just want to subsidize General Motors.
That said, Tesla is purchasing the souls of politicians just like every other automaker and Congress is struggling to justify Tesla's exclusion from the list of American automakers so I expect Congress to lose this battle and be forced to acknowledge Tesla as somewhat "American-ish" even though they have some operations in California. I think it's almost certain that the SR+ will qualify for a significant credit under the new law.

Just be patient and make sure you can get the best rate you can. Also be prepared for the EDD hell lol

Tesla has quite a reputation for making surprise price cuts but I wouldn't expect to see any within the next 6 months. They are overwhelmed with orders and are struggling with supply issues (removing radar and lumbar for example). Often they cut prices to undercut competition (Taycan and Mach E for example) or to adjust for expiring tax credits but neither scenario is occurring this year.

As I understand it, the LFP battery offering is also a response to supply issues and though it may not be an inferior battery it is less expensive to produce and I would expect them to simply take the higher profit margin rather than try to seduce even more buyers to join their long waiting list with a lower price.

It appears that the primary goal of the tax credit will be to subsidize US automakers. The second goal will be to exclude Tesla. But the actual "advertised" goal of promoting EVs for environmental and geopolitical reasons is mostly misleading. It's an "infrastructure" bill, not an "environmental" bill. They don't really care about EVs or anything, they just want to subsidize General Motors.
That said, Tesla is purchasing the souls of politicians just like every other automaker and Congress is struggling to justify Tesla's exclusion from the list of American automakers so I expect Congress to lose this battle and be forced to acknowledge Tesla as somewhat "American-ish" even though they have some operations in California. I think it's almost certain that the SR+ will qualify for a significant credit under the new law.
Ahhhh. Very helpful. Thank you. This reinforces my plan of sooner rather than later. Twist my arm. 😀