Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Any Advice before Ordering?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
New potential customer here too - looking to replace my Bolt that GM is buying back from me. First time post here. I test drove an M3 for the first time Saturday and absolutely love it. The new SR+ LFP battery sounds good for my needs, but I'm reading that it'll be cheaper to produce and there's speculation the M3 price may go down some. So I thought look around here for any discussions on price and whether I should buy sooner vs. later. I understand the tax credit could impact that, but I'm hearing the tax credit may be of little or no help with Tesla. I'm a bit surprised to see you expect a price increase rather than a decrease. Are there additional factors that I just don't know about?

Going through the exact same thing. We test drove on Sunday. Already ordered, figured it's a race between repurchase and trade-in.

Good luck! Did you order online or through an SA? What delivery estimate did you get? I'm anxious to order now, but don't want delivery until I complete my buyback - hopefully as soon as next week if all goes well.
Currently sitting on Nov 5 - Dec 5. We are prepared to either trade to Tesla or complete the buyback, waiting on Chevy to get around to processing us. The benefit is that we own ours outright, so no lien holder issues that might slow down the process. Having survived this once, it can take 8-10 weeks for GM to complete the deal.

Currently sitting on Nov 5 - Dec 5. We are prepared to either trade to Tesla or complete the buyback, waiting on Chevy to get around to processing us. The benefit is that we own ours outright, so no lien holder issues that might slow down the process. Having survived this once, it can take 8-10 weeks for GM to complete the deal.
About to finalize mine. My paperwork and check is on its way to the dealership and arriving Saturday. Start to finish is about 2 months for me. I plan to order the Tesla by Monday after one more visit to compare the Y and 3. Can't wait!

With the current delivery times, figured we had plenty of time to get the repurchase handled. It appears the GM is attempting to slow the bleed, but have been through this before with them. Took about 10 weeks last time, but we had to deal with the bank then. This time, no bank, so should be a done deal if we can just get GM started. We looked at both the Y and 3. Despite similar platforms they seemed very different when we looked at them. We liked the 3 more, didn’t feel we needed the extra size of the Y.

Yeah it's hard to tell the difference between a 3 and Y at first glance without training oneself to look for subtle cues like the wheel well trim. Under the skin they are virtually identical as well, with commonality across most of the powertrain and suspension components. It's actually pretty fascinating to compare them and see how they managed to share so many of the same parts. For example the Y is an inch or so wider but it somehow uses the exact same dashboard, front seats, and center console - so there's a bit of trickery going on there with the gaps and door panel contours to make it all work. And the exact same taillights are used in both models yet they manage to blend perfectly into two completely different bodies at completely different angles. Even the headlights, foglights, and side repeaters are identical. There are many instances of automakers using the same turn signal stalk or whatnot across models but I don't know of anything as extreme as Tesla's sharing of seats and taillights between an SUV hatchback and a sedan with a trunk.

But they are very different cars. The Y has a very different seating position - for all 5 seats. There's really no similarity despite the fact that 4 of those 5 seats are identical between the models. And the hatchback, fold flat seats, and lip-less cargo access are profoundly different from the 3's little trunk and seats that only fold part way and need to be unlatched from inside. The Y has a much straighter body as well. Panel alignments tend to be much more accurate and the doors all close nicely - even the rear doors. But I recommend the 3 - it's way more fun to drive. ;)

Oh, and you guys trying to perfectly synchronize your Chevy buyback with your Tesla delivery are going to be disappointed twice. Chevy you already know, but Tesla generally delivers at the end of the quarter so unless you ordered a while ago don't expect a car until Christmas-ish.

Last edited:
Thanks for the warning, my need is flexible so when it gets here, it gets here. GM will cough up, just matters of time and patience. You noted the exact thing we noticed about the Y. The seating postion is completely different in the Y. My wife is 4’10”. The 3 allowed her to set up the seat and steering wheel perfectly, while still seeing over the front of the car. The Y, not so much. Ride height was good but she just couldn’t see the front very well. We really enjoyed our 3 test drive. Ready to be Tesla owners.

Reactions: CoastieM3
Yeah it's hard to tell the difference between a 3 and Y at first glance without training oneself to look for subtle cues like the wheel well trim. Under the skin they are virtually identical as well, with commonality across most of the powertrain and suspension components. It's actually pretty fascinating to compare them and see how they managed to share so many of the same parts. For example the Y is an inch or so wider but it somehow uses the exact same dashboard, front seats, and center console - so there's a bit of trickery going on there with the gaps and door panel contours to make it all work. And the exact same taillights are used in both models yet they manage to blend perfectly into two completely different bodies at completely different angles. Even the headlights, foglights, and side repeaters are identical. There are many instances of automakers using the same turn signal stalk or whatnot across models but I don't know of anything as extreme as Tesla's sharing of seats and taillights between an SUV hatchback and a sedan with a trunk.

But they are very different cars. The Y has a very different seating position - for all 5 seats. There's really no similarity despite the fact that 4 of those 5 seats are identical between the models. And the hatchback, fold flat seats, and lip-less cargo access are profoundly different from the 3's little trunk and seats that only fold part way and need to be unlatched from inside. The Y has a much straighter body as well. Panel alignments tend to be much more accurate and the doors all close nicely - even the rear doors. But I recommend the 3 - it's way more fun to drive. ;)

Oh, and you guys trying to perfectly synchronize your Chevy buyback with your Tesla delivery are going to be disappointed twice. Chevy you already know, but Tesla generally delivers at the end of the quarter so unless you ordered a while ago don't expect a car until Christmas-ish.
Very helpful! Thank you for all this info!!

Lucky for me, I have some flexibility. And I understand there will be a wait. So I wouldn't say I'll be disappointed. Anxious yes, but worth the wait. My Bolt buyback will be complete next week. I have my old ICE car to get me by until the Tesla arrives. If I go with the 3, maybe I get lucky with an early LFP release. If not, Merry Christmas to me. :)

OMG!!!!!!! Saw a Model 3SR+ show up in local inventory and figured I'd snag it in hopes to speed things up from January to maybe a couple weeks/months from now. And if I change my mind to the Y, so be it (though I doubt that would happen). My EDD is between today and Sunday!! And I probably don't take the Bolt back until next week. This just got interesting/exciting/crazy/etc. :) Now I know that EDD may change, and I'm perfectly fine with that. But it sure looks like this is happening sooner rather than later.

OMG!!!!!!! Saw a Model 3SR+ show up in local inventory and figured I'd snag it in hopes to speed things up from January to maybe a couple weeks/months from now. And if I change my mind to the Y, so be it (though I doubt that would happen). My EDD is between today and Sunday!! And I probably don't take the Bolt back until next week. This just got interesting/exciting/crazy/etc. :) Now I know that EDD may change, and I'm perfectly fine with that. But it sure looks like this is happening sooner rather than later.
Nice Pick Up. Excited for you. Good luck.

Reactions: PurpleSunday
The first thing you should know is that Tesla does not do any type of pre-delivery communication. They won't contact you until your car is on the delivery truck and you can't contact them at any stage. You can chat all you want with those salespeople you met but they don't have access to Tesla's system. It's not really a problem but it's shocking if you don't know to expect it.

Second, they usually deliver to the US in the last week of each quarter. Expect the "November" estimate to evolve well into December. They almost never miss the end of year though, so you can be pretty sure to get your car in December.

The price will probably go up between now and December - certainly if the tax credit is reinstated, but Tesla will keep your original price. Unless the price goes down, then they'll adjust accordingly. It's a win-win for you.

The delivery date estimate on your account page will jump around all the time, it will change formats and sometimes disappear altogether. Pay no attention. It means nothing.

You can't do anything "off-menu". You order accessories from their online store. You make service appointments thru the app after taking delivery. That's it. Don't try to get them to deliver it with a garage opener or winter tires or whatever - they can't. If you can't click on it, it can't be done.

The charger it comes with can be nicely wall mounted and is perfectly well suited to home charging on a 30-50A circuit. All you need is a pigtail to match your outlet. You don't need to keep the charger in the car as you'll never find a suitable outlet on the road. All you need is the included J1772 adapter in case a proper Tesla charger isn't nearby. But you might want to take the charger with you to other houses (parents, cabin, Airbnb, etc.) so you might consider the Wall Connector - the installation is a little cheaper than an outlet since it doesn't require a GFCI, outlet, box, or pigtail so it may only cost $300 more than an outlet rather than the $500 it appears to at first glance.

Sell your old car as soon as you can. The market is insane right now! Put your VIN into Carvana, Carmax and CarbuyerUSA for instant quotes. They're all competing for inventory and paying well above market value. Who knows how long this will last. You can also trade in with Tesla but your offer will expire before delivery so you'll need to redo it. Note that some states will fine you if you don't trade in with the same dealer you're buying from.

Your car will be a 2022 model year and will be almost identical to the 2021's. It'll come with a suitable USB drive for music, sentry, dashcam, and boombox and it will have a new "bluetooth" TPMS sensors that are not yet commonplace - important to know in case you get a set of winter or track wheels.

The car will arrive with some assembly issues since they don't do a traditional "dealer prep" so expect to have it serviced right away and then hopefully never again. Congrats and enjoy!
This response is incredibly comprehensive and probably deserves a sticky on the ordering page. The only other thing I would say is once you place the order, get engaged in one of the waiting room threads. They’re super entertaining and it makes the wait a lot more bearable to have others going through with you. You’ll hear some horror stories but know that most of the time things go pretty smoothly and you’ve ordered what will be probably a fantastic car.
One other thing, in a few weeks be prepared to be refreshing your order page for details on updated delivery windows and a VIN more than you ever thought humanly possible, LOL!