Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Any advice for body repair for the trunk and rear bumper?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So over the weekend, I made bonehead move and backed up my car into a concrete column in a parking garage. The beeps were going off but I've been desensitized as I hear this all the time whenever I back into my home garage. It was completely my fault and I feel like an idiot.
My carbon spoiler is cracked but I can easily replace that. However, the trunk is dented and there is a small dent in the bumper. I plan to bring the car to a local Tesla approved body shop to see what this may cost to repair. I'm hoping the cost may be low enough so that I don't have to use my insurance and end up with increased premium or accident reports against my car. Anyone ever have to work with a bodyshop and know what's involved or how much it can cost?

modelytrunkdent.jpg

Ouch!! So sorry to see this.

I have found that ANY local body shop is able to repair this type of damage. They do not have to be associated with Tesla. The only time I hear about body shops not wanting to work on a Tesla is from fear of picky owners, but if you are the type that can accept less than absolute perfection, you'll do fine. This kind of ding may be expensive, and they'll probably have to repaint the bumper, though they might even have to replace it. Right this moment I have a dent in my trunk lid and bumper, not as bad as this, and I have chosen to ignore it for now, but yours is much worse. Just get it fixed and live happily ever after.

I'm not sure if this damage could be repaired without replacing parts. If that's possible, I guess a non-certified body shop could repair it. If the liftgate and bumper needs to be replaced, as I understand it only certified body shop can order parts from Tesla.

Based on my first hand experience with bumper and liftgate replacement, I would guess that this damage would cost in the neighborhood of $3,000~$4,000, assuming no internal damage. My daughter had scratched the bumper (the colored piece) on a friend's MY while parallel parking and it cost $850 to replace the bumper at Tesla SC. I also got rear-ended that resulted in liftgate (but not glass or spoiler), both bumper pieces, one side panel, and one internal impact bar replacement. That ended up being about $6,500 and my car was in the shop for a month and a half waiting for parts.

To avoid this from happening again, I suggest you install a carbon fiber spoiler to protect your trunk.
Prior to posting, I suggest you read the entire post. He already had a carbon fiber spoiler installed. THe damage he's asking about is at the lower edge of the liftgate, not where the carbon fiber attaches.