Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Any advice for talking institution/work into installing charging?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

dsm363

Roadster + Sig Model S
May 17, 2009
Nevada
I'm trying to get work to install charging. Even if I were to donate a J1772 station they seem hesitant because of giving away 'free electricity'. Any arguments or single page handouts people have created that address the common concerns or provide solutions? Thanks.

I'm even trying to get them to install 110V outlets as that would at least keep pack warm in winter.

Last edited:
One thing Tesla could do is encourage more universal charging stations, we all have power but no one can afford an underground tank to hold petrol; this is a huge advantage if they want more charging stations than gas stations in a few years to come; universal charging stations could also encourage other electric vehicles to utilize but of course, a Tesla would be done in 20 minutes :)

As a small business owner I would be glad to carve out 4-5 parking spaces and allow people to recharge but it has to be feasible and possibly profitable for me; unless I have an incentive and it is made simple to install a charging station I wouldn't be inclined to do so.

Do you need a charge at work to get home? I bought a Tesla because finally an EV had sufficient range that I didn't need a boost to get home. Sometimes I drive as little as 20 miles in a day, sometimes 150. Charge-at-work is what toy EVs need to support those driving at least 20 miles each way. Or for those who chose to live where they do not have their own overnight charging.

As Ohm says, it has to benefit the business. To which I might add that as an employee it is your responsibility and expense to get yourself to work, to clean your clothes, to feed yourself, etc.

A retail establishment might draw affluent clientele with an EVSE. The benefit would be negated if employees were to hog it.

I don't need it to get home but I really wanted it more for the other plug in vehicles like the Volt so they can get home on electricity only. If they don't start somewhere there never will be charging sports. It would be more of an employee perk than anything. I was going to suggest to them they could charge a low flat fee per month to park there if that was an issue for them. This is for a large institution so not a small business. There are zero charging sports for public or the employees right now. I realize it is my responsibility to feed myself and get to work. Anyway, thanks for the advice.

Hey DSM. The place where I used to work started a "Green Initiative" and took all sorts of things into consideration--paper reduction, recycling, reduced electrical use, reduced copy machine,reduced heating and A/C (nights/ weekends). As part of that effort they added 2 charging locations in the parking garage. First just 110 but later they installed a J1772.

I don't need it to get home but I really wanted it more for the other plug in vehicles like the Volt so they can get home on electricity only. If they don't start somewhere there never will be charging sports. It would be more of an employee perk than anything. I was going to suggest to them they could charge a low flat fee per month to park there if that was an issue for them. This is for a large institution so not a small business. There are zero charging sports for public or the employees right now. I realize it is my responsibility to feed myself and get to work. Anyway, thanks for the advice.

Here are some options on convincing employers:
Let me google that for you