Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Any advice on FSD usage after 2 false strikes

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
There are no workarounds, other than to not use FSDb.

That is incorrect.

I finally figured out a workaround after battling with the interior camera blocking access to FSD due to my surfboard being inside the car while driving. I could not take it anymore. I almost made a trouble ticket about it for Tesla's service center but I saw somebody post that he figured out a trick, but would not share in fears of Tesla killing the workaround trick. So I knew there HAD to be a way somehow. After a few weeks and a lot of thinking along with some trial and error, I figured it out. So far it's been working 100% reliably and I can turn on FSD with my surfboard in the car.

-Paul

Reactions: JB47394
I have my 2018 MX got 2 strikes a few months ago and it stated I have 1 strike left. I do not have cabin camera but do have upgraded to h/w 3. With the recent update it stated "If Autopilot disables 3 times due to improper use, FSD Beta will no longer operate. This vehicle has not had such events. " It looks like been reset last 2 strikes and it does not mention, I will get it back in 1-2 weeks time. I am early adopters that need to get qualify to get FSD by checking your driving history records. I called Tesla support, they not sure but told me it will reset after 3 strikes in 1 week. Can any one verify that?

No, it doesn't reset the strikes. At least not that I've noticed. It holds all the strikes until you collect five total strikes and then puts you in FSD jail, then it resets to zero a week later and lets you out of FSD jail. I'm extremely experienced at this by now despite being new to Teslas.

I fly out on a trip in 2 weeks for a week. I have 2 strikes currently. I plan to rack up 3 back to back strikes right before I park the car for my trip so that I have a clean slate when I get back from my trip.

😅

Reactions: 4SUPER9
Just realized something interesting: Everybody seems to know that giving your right scroll wheel a little ”love” counts as torque on the wheel. Mine does the same with the left scroll wheel, too. I change volume on the stereo every song now. No fruit required.
I don't have FSD, but I use this trick for AP all the time. Super convenient and much better than getting constant nags

How are people getting strikes? I've had my car for 2.5 years and never had a single strike. But I read others here on TMC that get strikes all the time.
I'll give you one example that's hit me several times. If I look over at the main screen for slightly too long an alert will sound as well as flash a visual alert on my Model X dash screen. Naturally my eyes are drawn to the dash screen which uses enough time to get a strike.

I'll give you one example that's hit me several times. If I look over at the main screen for slightly too long an alert will sound as well as flash a visual alert on my Model X dash screen. Naturally my eyes are drawn to the dash screen which uses enough time to get a strike.
Got it - so you just needed to train yourself to not look at the screen for more than a few seconds, which is plenty of time to gain whatever information you need for driving. And if you hear an alert tone and see flashing, immediately look at the road. I can totally see this being an issue for people the first time, but shouldn't be an issue subsequent times as you've learned what the system is expecting of you.

Reactions: n.one.one
Is there a difference between a strike and a warning? I get the red warning to take over after three the auto steer will not work any more that day. Never had anything about FSD jail and after getting locked out yesterday I went and looked in the FSd menu and it said I had 0 strikes but FSD would not work?

Red warning to take over = strike.

You can get it to work again by pulling over, putting the car in park, and then back into drive and resume driving. Assuming you didn't strike out and get put into jail. One reason to get the Performance or Plaid trim - you just lose a few seconds doing this on the freeway. Don't ask me how I know. 😅

Weirdest way I've gotten strikes... FSD stops at a stop light that I know is going to take forever. I reach back to grab my lunch box, unzip it, grab a container, unzip another section to get a fork... BOOM, I've got a strike for not applying steering pressure to the steering wheel. I'm deaf so I don't hear any audible warnings and if I don't notice the flashing blue screen out of the corner of my eye in time then I'm screwed. So stupid to strike out while not even driving/moving. Happened to me three times so far.

BTW I found another way to get your strikes reset to zero - get your interior camera replaced under warranty (it kept saying I was blocking the camera and then refusing to activate FSD) - car came back with a clean slate from Tesla.

-Paul

• Informative
Reactions: dogldogl