Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Any advice on how to proceed (trouble with lease buy out)...

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Helping my brother with a lease buy out mid term...
We initiated the process on 10/7/2021, got the email saying "Tesla will reach out to you in 24-48 hrs"
They never did, no emails, no calls...We called them about a week later, and was informed by the nice agent on the phone it might take some time for a payoff package to be prepared. Ok, fine, we'll wait a bit...
Called a week later, same answer...then 10/28 came...Tesla as of that date doesn't allow anymore buyouts of their vehicles...
Since then, we've been calling almost on a daily basis, but every time we get a different rep who give us a different story...
Yesterday they said everything is good and look out for an email and when that didn't happen we called again today, and was told this is no longer possible...
They have no record of any of the calls we made and said the buy out request was already cancelled back in October due to lack of communication...
(we've not gotten one single email after the initial one, zero calls from them, all calls were initiated by us)
After some time, the rep actually pulled the "hello, are you still there? I can't hear you" and hung up on us...

If anyone can give us any advice on how to proceed / get thru to the right ppl that can actually help, it'd be great...in the mean time, we'll try to call them again tomorrow...

We will try that, other emails we've sent just goes to a blackhole it seems...I also read his contract, and on page 2, item 26, it says -

26. Option to Purchase. You may buy the vehicle “AS IS,” either at the scheduled lease term end by paying the amount in item 10 or during the lease term by paying the adjusted lease balance (see item 28) plus, in each case, any amounts due under item 30. If you buy the vehicle, you will re-title and re-register it in your name as soon as possible.

So I am not sure why this latest rep told us a flat no...

Actually, would love to know how it worked out for you. I used the portal to initiate a lease buy out. I got my buy out price within 24 hours I think (seemed automated). Used it to get a loan from a credit union. They paid Tesla on 1/5/2022. It's reflected in my account but they still haven't finalized the title transfer to the credit union... Seems a little messy.

I did the buyout and sent payment on 12/29 for my 2018 Model S. I just received confirmation that the paperwork was complete today! Tried to call today to get an estimate on when the final paperwork would be sent to me and was on hold for 30 minutes. I requested a call back and the estimated time is 100 minutes. Obviously understaffed. Their office will be closed for the weekend in 15 minutes. Maybe I will hear from them on Monday.

Reactions: Zorg
I did the buyout and sent payment on 12/29 for my 2018 Model S. I just received confirmation that the paperwork was complete today! Tried to call today to get an estimate on when the final paperwork would be sent to me and was on hold for 30 minutes. I requested a call back and the estimated time is 100 minutes. Obviously understaffed. Their office will be closed for the weekend in 15 minutes. Maybe I will hear from them on Monday.
I found they are more responsive to emails. They log notes on the account and multiple people can work on it.

FYI to those interested. My payment was processed on 12/27/21 but I received the title on 2/8/22. When I registered the buy out with the DMV (all online now, very nice), they asked for a 10% penalty fee due to my late sale registration. I had to fill a statement of facts explaining the situation to get the penalty waived. Tesla really needs to get its back office sh.. together.

About two weeks ago, I completed the buyout package and wired Tesla the money they requested and got emails confirming they received everything and that they would be sending me my title.

I recently received an email from them saying the buyout request has been canceled and then another one two days later saying my lease is past the lease end date and to call them immediately, which I did.

After being on hold for 90 minutes, I pressed #8 to get a call back. Still waiting.