Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Any advise on purchasing a used Tesla from the experts;-)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I understand what Tesla is trying to accomplish.

When someone wants to buy one of their used cars, Tesla usually will send them some pictures and a description of the car. Usually the better condition the car the higher the price. The more issues with the car, the lower the price.

When a customer tells them they want to purchase that car, Tesla will internally mark that car as sold to that person. They will ship the car to the customer, with the expectation that the car is sold. They want assurances that the money is transfered to their account before they can release the car. They incur signicant costs in transporting the car, handling the paperwork and pricing. They also clean the car, do a safety inspection and showcase the car for the new customer.

Customer has a different idea about the transaction. He wants to take another inspection to see if there is anything else about the car that is not perfect. Perhaps they are tired of picky people that inspect for the slighest flaw, want to use that as leverage to negotiate a lower price at the last minute, change their mind, have problems with payment, want to put the purchase on a rewards credit card, just want to take a look before really buying etc.

People want the buying experience to be just like a used car dealer. Those people will hide defects with a chemical shine, put additives in the oil to mask tapping noises, put spray dressing on noisey fan belts, etc. They think the used car dealer is presenting with a great car, but instead have used lots of masking agents to make the car seem better than it is.

Tesla is honestly presenting the car as they see it. Customer will always want the car to be in even better shape than the price would justify.

Tesla will tell you up front...no test drives, you need to buy the car as pictured and in the condition presented.

Many have high expectations when they find a car that initially seems underpriced, but in fact the price is represented by the condition of the car.

Lots of sniveling .

The search is still one...what do you guys think about this one???

Used Tesla Model S For Sale - CarGurus

Thanks again guys for everything once again!!??

I know! Not the color combo I really wanted but a friend sent this to me while on the hunt for his own car!! I told him I had to run it by the Tesla Gurus!! Lol
Red Loubs & Wine, check out my S90D, 2016, new front end, 13,957 miles, free supercharging forever, $58,000. Actual leather seats.

Model S / 2016 / Silver - 1abda | Only Used Tesla

I'm selling it because I now have the Model 3 I've been waiting for since before Elon was with Tesla (really).

We have another Model 2016 S90D, so I'm letting my Silver Blaze go. Tesla offered me 49,700 for trade-in on the Model 3, and CarMax offered 51k. I paid around 98k for it, and it is in mint condition, and I really don't need these many Tesla cars, and I am in no great rush to get the money.

Model S versus Model 3-- I have bought 2 of each-- I really can't say which is the better car-- they are different cars.

I like the 3 because its size is right for me-- I can see to the right when I change lanes-- it is more efficient-- I am uncomfortable in a giant boat-like luxury Model S car. Not me. Although I love to drive it and have driven it almost 3 years.

The photos of the interior-- I took those the day I posted the ad with Adam, except the one of the front seat, which I sent him a couple days after I posted the ad (edit--- he hasn't posted that one yet!)

Front seat has zero wear-- I never sat on it-- I sat on an air cushion seat-- the real leather was just too hot for me.

No animals or food have EVER been in my car. No children have EVER been in my car.

Vern

Last edited:
Not a fan of that color personally, but that’s all upto the individual.

Looks like a good deal for a 16 75D. Looks to be a 2 year lease return.

Has EAP enabled. Has premium package. Has all glass roof. Does not have air suspension.

Assume the original new car warranty is still in place even though car is being sold through a dealer? Looks like main screen needs replacing. Photos sort of show the yellow halo issue around edges. Not totally sure, but seems like it.
Thanks! I didn’t realize it would be this much involved! But this car does have AP hardware 2.0; correct?
Just trying to get as versed in the meantime as possible!!
Much appreciation!!

The search is still one...what do you guys think about this one???

Used Tesla Model S For Sale - CarGurus

Thanks again guys for everything once again!!??

I know! Not the color combo I really wanted but a friend sent this to me while on the hunt for his own car!! I told him I had to run it by the Tesla Gurus!! Lol

I don't like that one. Your color combo is the same thing my wife likes. Red / Black seats / Black headliner / Grey wheels she has a term for this combo, a term that's not appropriate for this website...

Now I’m just confused! I don’t know if it’s better to get a used car, that I can at least see! I’m just concerned about the extended warranty! High line auto sales recently contacted me and apparently “is the only one” who has an extended warranty & can apparently take the car to any Tesla dealership??

Any thoughts or actually experience with the extended warranty out of Texas?
As always!
Thanks again guys for everything !;-)

You know there is now a private company offering a comprehensive warranty called X-Care if you buy your Tesla from a dealer. Be careful with random warranties sold by dealers and do your research to make sure it is an EV specific warranty.

X-Care - Xcelerate Auto

The bottom line is tell Tesla you want an undamaged car and if they refuse to let you inspect the car and then present to you a car in rough condition, they either need to fix the undisclosed damage or you absolutely want your money back to be put towards another car because you are not a fool.

I think it is ridiculous how they sell used cars with awful resolution photos, not allowing you to see what you are buying in person, and expect customers to pay for the car sold with no quality standards.

Let's hope how they treat customers who buy these cars doesn't show up during a hearing at some of the states Tesla is fighting to be able to sell cars.

Red Loubs & Wine, check out my S90D, 2016, new front end, 13,957 miles, free supercharging forever, $58,000.

Model S / 2016 / Silver - 1abda | Only Used Tesla

I'm selling it because I now have the Model 3 I've been waiting for since before Elon was with Tesla (really).

We have another Model 2016 S90D, so I'm letting my Silver Blaze go. Tesla offered me 49,700 for trade-in on the Model 3, and CarMax offered 51k. I paid around 98k for it, and it is in mint condition, and I really don't need these many Tesla cars, and I am in no great rush to get the money.

Model S versus Model 3-- I have bought 2 of each-- I really can't say which is the better car-- they are different cars.

I like the 3 because its size is right for me-- I can see to the right when I change lanes-- it is more efficient-- I am uncomfortable in a giant boat-like luxury Model S car. Not me. Although I love to drive it and have driven it almost 3 years.

The photos of the interior-- I took those the day I posted the ad with Adam, except the one of the front seat, which I sent him a couple days after I posted the ad.

Front seat has zero wear-- I never sat on it-- I sat on an air cushion seat-- the real leather was just too hot for me.

No animals or food have EVER been in my car. No children have EVER been in my car.

Vern
Vern,
Your car is still beautiful!! You have truly kept it in prestine condition!! Unfortunately, it is a little out of my price range! Ugh! I’ve recently decided I’m not quite ready to part with my X6(I know, crazy)...hence...I’ve been pushing my budget daily with this darn Tesla search!! If you know of anyone or run across anything similar...send them my way! I wouldn’t want you to come down on your car that you feel you’ve priced fairly! Much appreciation again for thinking of me!!

Reactions: Vern Padgett
Ugh! I just love that red!! But geez! I’d really be pushing my budget on that one! ESP since I’ve seen some 2016’s for that price!! Why so much for that one??

Who knows, look around Tesla's site, there are plenty of that color combo for less. Just make sure you buy it from Tesla, the upgraded warranty they give you with their used car is worth jumping through the hoops for.

Just watch it for a few days. They will keep lowering the price. They’ll lower it quite a bit, but then if it doesn’t sell they jack it up again.
Oh wow! Thats really good to know! I heard they sometimes lower them& actually saw one car get lowered at most $400, which is nothing. But I though that was about it! But I also wasn't interested in how damaged the car look and they wouldn't offer any additional photos!
But I will continue watching
I have now realized I think I want AP, which I know pushes my original budget a little. But hey!
As always, thanks for your response!

You know there is now a private company offering a comprehensive warranty called X-Care if you buy your Tesla from a dealer. Be careful with random warranties sold by dealers and do your research to make sure it is an EV specific warranty.

X-Care - Xcelerate Auto

The bottom line is tell Tesla you want an undamaged car and if they refuse to let you inspect the car and then present to you a car in rough condition, they either need to fix the undisclosed damage or you absolutely want your money back to be put towards another car because you are not a fool.

I think it is ridiculous how they sell used cars with awful resolution photos, not allowing you to see what you are buying in person, and expect customers to pay for the car sold with no quality standards.

Let's hope how they treat customers who buy these cars doesn't show up during a hearing at some of the states Tesla is fighting to be able to sell cars.
I've heard about them and have read several posts that they responded to as a vendor! However, just haven't had any luck on actually finding someone who has had experience with them, when something goes wrong; versus teslas bumper to bumper warranty!
The photos Tesla sends are really sad! I've had used car dealerships send me better, as well as more timely photos than, "Tesla" themselves! I was actually disappointed in this part of the process. They also aren't or should I say the advisor I've been in contact with isn't as prompt with his responses!
As always, much appreciation for your response!