Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Any advise on purchasing a used Tesla from the experts;-)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The search is still one...what do you guys think about this one???

Used Tesla Model S For Sale - CarGurus

Thanks again guys for everything once again!!??

I know! Not the color combo I really wanted but a friend sent this to me while on the hunt for his own car!! I told him I had to run it by the Tesla Gurus!! Lol
It is nice in that it has AP2. Is that what you're thinking you want now? That will likely push your budget so you might have to let the X6 go...

It is nice in that it has AP2. Is that what you're thinking you want now? That will likely push your budget so you might have to let the X6 go...
Lol! I know! My thoughts exactly!I fee like the more I read the...the more I want!!Yes...I just realized that that would be a really nice option as well as will push my budget!! I thought I was going to just trade it in b/c I felt like I would end up never driving it but do like & have always had an SUV& now debating on just keeping it!
I know it will push my budget a little more!!ugh

Reactions: Seven7
AP2.0 is better than AP1.0 because it has the 'Navigate on Autopilot' feature. Tesla will continue to improve this feature. That's something AP2.0 owners can look forward to. However, be aware that the following features require AP2.5:
  • Dashcam (released on 26 Sep 2018)
  • Sentry Mode (released last week)
  • Dog Mode (released last week)
I have seen some topics on Reddit recently where AP2.0 owners complained about being left out. Soon, AP3.0 will be released and it will have features not supported in AP2.5 like traffic light recognition. After listening to Elon on the podcast here, I don't think AP2.5 will support that feature because Elon was talking about how they are using 100 frames per second with AP3.0 hardware and if they had tried to use AP2.5 hardware, it would make the software too complicated because they would have to use fewer frames and making it work would require too many tricks.

My guess is, Tesla will release AP3.0 hardware between 10-20 April 2019 because they usually make big hardware changes in the first month of quarters because otherwise, there would be too many refused deliveries during the end-of-quarter delivery push. AP1.0 was announced on 9 Oct 2014, the facelift happened on 12 Apr 2016 and AP2.0 was released on 16 Oct 2016. All three happened in the first month of the quarter. Therefore AP3.0 should be released either in April or July. My guess is, in April they will reveal the Model Y and AP3.0 in the same event. You could wait and see what features Tesla says they plan to release with AP3.0 hardware and then make a decision. Also, you might like the Model Y, and you might change your plans about buying a large car now.

Last edited:
  • Helpful
Reactions: hybridbear
You guys are the best! I swear I didn’t think getting a Tesla would involve so much research! I promise I wouldn’t know where to begin without you guys!!??....Wait what!! I was told I wasn’t allowed to see it prior to actually taking ownership of the vehicle!!???(CPO that is!)

Not having @ least the 85 does make me a little nervous b/c I do have family that’s close to 80 miles away& would like not have to stress about charge!?!? But of course you guys would actually know best!
I'd have no reservations about a 160 mile round trip with my 75D. I would be back home with miles to spare

AP2.0 is better than AP1.0 because it has the 'Navigate on Autopilot' feature. Tesla will continue to improve this feature. That's something AP2.0 owners can look forward to. However, be aware that the following features require AP2.5:
I have seen some topics on Reddit recently where AP2.0 owners complained about being left out. Soon, AP3.0 will be released and it will have features not supported in AP2.5 like traffic light recognition. After listening to Elon on the podcast here, I don't think AP2.5 will support that feature because Elon was talking about how they are using 100 frames per second with AP3.0 hardware and if they had tried to use AP2.5 hardware, it would make the software too complicated because they would have to use fewer frames and making it work would require too many tricks.

My guess is, Tesla will release AP3.0 hardware between 10-20 April 2019 because they usually make big hardware changes in the first month of quarters because otherwise, there would be too many refused deliveries during the end-of-quarter delivery push. AP1.0 was announced on 9 Oct 2014, the facelift happened on 12 Apr 2016 and AP2.0 was released on 16 Oct 2016. All three happened in the first month of the quarter. Therefore AP3.0 should be released either in April or July. My guess is, in April they will reveal the Model Y and AP3.0 in the same event. You could wait and see what features Tesla says they plan to release with AP3.0 hardware and then make a decision. Also, you might like the Model Y, and you might change your plans about buying a large car now.
Troy,
I really appreciate that insight! I was starting to get a little frustrated today! I was working at a hospital near the dealership that had the car I was thinking about that had :AP 2& the “facelift”, as well as features I wanted...was SOLD!! Although still online on all sites!
I’m glad I didn’t go way out of my way( like another state)but did want to see the car in person and at least the difference in the drive!
Oh well! Back to the drawing board...I’ve (obviously) increased my budget some since I deceived I would like the AP2! Unless I run across a deal I can’t pass up...I’ll just be patient!!;-)
As ALWAYS THANK YOU GUYS AGAIN FOR EVERYTHING!!

W

Hey,
What do you think about this article I found that would upgrade to the 3.0 hardware for free??
Tesla’s new Autopilot hardware upgrade will be free for owners with the $3,000 to $5,000 ‘Full Self-Driving’ package

I can’t directly relate but I can understand!! I’ve began to get frustrated trying to find a car with AP2& features I would like, in my price range! They are like unicorns !
Patience is the key here. I just paid a 2016 Tesla model S60 with FSD and free supercharging for 50K. After our deal he got offers more than 50K but he stood by his words. It’s hard to see such person, I’m very happy to come across one.

So dont hurry wait for your deal.

Patience is the key here. I just paid a 2016 Tesla model S60 with FSD and free supercharging for 50K. After our deal he got offers more than 50K but he stood by his words. It’s hard to see such person, I’m very happy to come across one.

This is the best advice. Know what you want and figure out the market and wait to find exactly what you want.

Plenty of well-cared for cars out there to settle for a beat-up car or one that is overpriced -- or both, as in the case of some CPO cars.

Hey,
What do you think about this article I found that would upgrade to the 3.0 hardware for free??
Tesla’s new Autopilot hardware upgrade will be free for owners with the $3,000 to $5,000 ‘Full Self-Driving’ package

AP3.0 retrofit will be free only to buyers who have already bought the $3,000 Fully-Self-Driving option on top of the $5,000 Enhanced Autopilot option. Tesla has now removed FSD from the design studio. Therefore you can't see it but I added a screenshot below. Next to the $5,000 Enhanced Autopilot option, there used to be a $3,000 Fully-Self-Driving option that you could purchase on top of the $5K EAP option. In other words, FSD requires EAP.

The FSD option will cost you $5,000 instead of $3,000 if you want to add it to a used Tesla AP2.0 or AP2.5. The after-delivery-penalty used to be $1,000. It's now $2,000 for both EAP and FSD. FSD is actually still available off-menu for $3,000 with new Teslas. Most Tesla buyers don't buy the FSD option because so far 0% of FSD features have been released. Based on my survey, 88% of Model 3 buyers bought the EAP option compared to 25% for FSD.

Let's assume like most buyers, you want the Enhanced Autopilot option but not the Fully-Self-Driving option. Does it make a difference whether you have AP2.0, AP2.5 or AP3.0 hardware in terms of what features you get? The answer Tesla wants people to believe is no because they want to continue selling cars until they release AP3.0. However, the actual answer is obviously yes. Why? Because there is already a difference between AP2.0 and AP2.5. Sentry mode, dog mode, and dashcam features don't work with AP2.0.

Also, AP2.5 has different cameras, more computing power, and more redundancy than AP2.0. When AP3.0 is released, there will be features that will work with AP3.0 but not with AP2.5. In addition, EAP will work better with AP3.0 hardware because the computer will be 10 to 20 times more powerful.

If you want the latest tech, the best thing would be to wait for AP3.0 and see what Tesla will offer. They might merge EAP and FSD to simplify things. Let's say they offered EAP & FSD for $6,000 with new Model 3s. That would be a great option. Also, I recommend test driving a Model 3. The Model 3 has actually the same legroom as the Model S and it has more headroom than the Model S in both seats, front and rear. The most important difference is the cargo space. Buying an AP2.0 Model S now for 4 years might not be a good idea. AP2.0 will be 2 generations old very soon when AP3.0 is released.

Sometimes I see buyers who consider buying a Model 3 Performance version for 4 years. I'm not sure that's a great idea either. It would be better to buy a Model 3 LR AWD for 2 years and then buy a new Model 3 LR AWD for 2 more years. The technology in Tesla cars changes too quickly. This becomes more obvious when you look back to see how Teslas have changed over the years. The Model S touchscreen is now faster (Mar 2018), nextgen seats are more comfortable (Dec 2016), Autopilot 2.0 is more capable (Oct 2016). They got rid of the nosecone (Apr 2016). They added bioweapon defense mode.

ex5VXMQ.gif

Last edited:
AP3.0 retrofit will be free only to buyers who have already bought the $3,000 Fully-Self-Driving option on top of the $5,000 Enhanced Autopilot option. Tesla has now removed FSD from the design studio. Therefore you can't see it but I added a screenshot below. Next to the $5,000 Enhanced Autopilot option, there used to be a $3,000 Fully-Self-Driving option that you could purchase on top of the $5K EAP option. In other words, FSD requires EAP.

The FSD option will cost you $5,000 instead of $3,000 if you want to add it to a used Tesla AP2.0 or AP2.5. The after-delivery-penalty used to be $1,000. It's now $2,000 for both EAP and FSD. FSD is actually still available off-menu for $3,000 with new Teslas. Most Tesla buyers don't buy the FSD option because so far 0% of FSD features have been released. Based on my survey, 88% of Model 3 buyers bought the EAP option compared to 25% for FSD.

Let's assume like most buyers, you want the Enhanced Autopilot option but not the Fully-Self-Driving option. Does it make a difference whether you have AP2.0, AP2.5 or AP3.0 hardware in terms of what features you get? The answer Tesla wants people to believe is no because they want to continue selling cars until they release AP3.0. However, the actual answer is obviously yes. Why? Because there is already a difference between AP2.0 and AP2.5. Sentry mode, dog mode, and dashcam features don't work with AP2.0.

Also, AP2.5 has different cameras, more computing power, and more redundancy than AP2.0. When AP3.0 is released, there will be features that will work with AP3.0 but not with AP2.5. In addition, EAP will work better with AP3.0 hardware because the computer will be 10 to 20 times more powerful.

If you want the latest tech, the best thing would be to wait for AP3.0 and see what Tesla will offer. They might merge EAP and FSD to simplify things. Let's say they offered EAP & FSD for $6,000 with new Model 3s. That would be a great option. Also, I recommend test driving a Model 3. The Model 3 has actually the same legroom as the Model S and it has more headroom than the Model S in both seats, front and rear. The most important difference is the cargo space. Buying an AP2.0 Model S now for 4 years might not be a good idea. AP2.0 will be 2 generations old very soon when AP3.0 is released.

Sometimes I see buyers who consider buying a Model 3 Performance version for 4 years. I'm not sure that's a great idea either. It would be better to buy a Model 3 LR AWD for 2 years and then buy a new Model 3 LR AWD for 2 more years. The technology in Tesla cars changes too quickly. This becomes more obvious when you look back to see how Teslas have changed over the years. The Model S touchscreen is now faster (Mar 2018), nextgen seats are more comfortable (Dec 2016), Autopilot 2.0 is more capable (Oct 2016). They got rid of the nosecone (Apr 2016). They added bioweapon defense mode.

ex5VXMQ.gif
Troy,
You’re AMAZING! Gosh! Just when I thought I’ve done a little research before asking a question, you break it down even further! I don’t necessarily have to have the absolute latest technology, because Knowing myself feel I would always be chasing it ( like some iPhone users) all the time! For me, I had to tell myself eventually I’m ok not having the absolute newest! I don’t know if that’s a good comparison? B/c usually when one purchases a new phone, they do get the lastest version(@ that time!)
Hence, I felt like since I’m ok( obviously) with a used Tesla, I would at least like for it to have closest to the new technology (AP 2.0 vs AP 1.0) that won’t eventually have anymore upgrades!
Although now that’s starting to make think if it’s even worth chasing a AP 2.0 if I’ll still have to end up dropping another 5/6/7 K to get the upgrades in the future?? Ugh!
One thing I know for sure (unless obviously it’s a deal that I can refuse!....b/c @ the end of the day...it’s still a TESLA!) I would like the no nosecone( 2016 preferably). I’ve seen some good deals on the but like we all know they get snatched up quickly!
I’ll continue to watch and wait!!
As always THANK YOU!

This is the best advice. Know what you want and figure out the market and wait to find exactly what you want.

Plenty of well-cared for cars out there to settle for a beat-up car or one that is overpriced -- or both, as in the case of some CPO cars.
Yes! I agree 100% EVERY SINGLE Tesla I’ve requested to see are all scratched@ dented up!!! I mean (obviously ) I’m ok with a used car but I’ve purchased both used and brand new cars& all the used ones I’ve purchased have been in just as good shape as if they were new!
I don’t expect them to be perfect by any means b/c I do know they are USED, but it would be nice if they would at least try to repair/refurbish a little! I mean I am paying close to 50k for a vehicle!!
The waiting continues;-)
As always...THANK YOU for your honest input!

Reactions: byeLT4

Thank you for that!! That truly does give me hope and certainly will take that advice! I do know what I want & im ok waiting if I need to! It’s not like I don’t have other cars to drive! This just obviously became my new recent obsession!! Lol
However, through this process (sometimes frustrating, b/c you want what you want when you want it sometimes) & of course with the facilitation of all of guys; I’ve learned SO much from all different prospectives! I do believe when that times comes & you guys tell me to jump on whatever deal comes my way, I’ll be making an informed decision!
Thank you guys for teaching me more about Tesla’s than I ever would’ve imagined!;-$

Troy,
You’re AMAZING! Gosh! Just when I thought I’ve done a little research before asking a question, you break it down even further! I don’t necessarily have to have the absolute latest technology, because Knowing myself feel I would always be chasing it ( like some iPhone users) all the time! For me, I had to tell myself eventually I’m ok not having the absolute newest! I don’t know if that’s a good comparison? B/c usually when one purchases a new phone, they do get the lastest version(@ that time!)
Hence, I felt like since I’m ok( obviously) with a used Tesla, I would at least like for it to have closest to the new technology (AP 2.0 vs AP 1.0) that won’t eventually have anymore upgrades!
Although now that’s starting to make think if it’s even worth chasing a AP 2.0 if I’ll still have to end up dropping another 5/6/7 K to get the upgrades in the future?? Ugh!
One thing I know for sure (unless obviously it’s a deal that I can refuse!....b/c @ the end of the day...it’s still a TESLA!) I would like the no nosecone( 2016 preferably). I’ve seen some good deals on the but like we all know they get snatched up quickly!
I’ll continue to watch and wait!!
As always THANK YOU!
Which takes you back to the point I was trying to make earlier: Buy something that's a good deal and the better deals are on the older cars. Anything with AP1 will still be light years beyond what you're currently used to driving in every way. Then, a few years from now, when there's AP4.5 you can buy an AP3 car for much, much less because some people put too much weight in the tech aspect of these cars. Sure, they're technologically advanced compared to other cars but they're still cars. The tech aspect isn't 100% of the car. In fact, in my daily use the AP portion is a very small percentage and I'm still not sure why some base their entire purchase decision on what version of AP it has. Especially when you look at the price difference between an AP1 and AP2 car... all other things being equal. There's even really good deals on cars w/o any AP hardware and when you compare them to every other car out there that doesn't have AP it's still a FAR better car that can be had at a relatively cheap price.

Thank you for that!! That truly does give me hope and certainly will take that advice! I do know what I want & im ok waiting if I need to! It’s not like I don’t have other cars to drive! This just obviously became my new recent obsession!! Lol
However, through this process (sometimes frustrating, b/c you want what you want when you want it sometimes) & of course with the facilitation of all of guys; I’ve learned SO much from all different prospectives! I do believe when that times comes & you guys tell me to jump on whatever deal comes my way, I’ll be making an informed decision!
Thank you guys for teaching me more about Tesla’s than I ever would’ve imagined!;-$
This is the most important lesson to take away from this thread. Take your time, don't rush into anything and educate yourself on what it is you want and what it is you're buying. With this information you will come away with a good deal and a lot of knowledge on the large purchase you're making. Don't buy what I want or what someone else wants, buy what YOU want.

Reactions: PhilDavid
Which takes you back to the point I was trying to make earlier: Buy something that's a good deal and the better deals are on the older cars. Anything with AP1 will still be light years beyond what you're currently used to driving in every way. Then, a few years from now, when there's AP4.5 you can buy an AP3 car for much, much less because some people put too much weight in the tech aspect of these cars. Sure, they're technologically advanced compared to other cars but they're still cars. The tech aspect isn't 100% of the car. In fact, in my daily use the AP portion is a very small percentage and I'm still not sure why some base their entire purchase decision on what version of AP it has. Especially when you look at the price difference between an AP1 and AP2 car... all other things being equal. There's even really good deals on cars w/o any AP hardware and when you compare them to every other car out there that doesn't have AP it's still a FAR better car that can be had at a relatively cheap price.
Ostrichsak,
MUCH APPRECIATION for that!!! It takes a little pressure off! I just automatically assumed that since this will be my commuter car, the AP2 would make the world of difference! But You’re right! When I test drove a Tesla( it was AP1)& was still an amazing driving car!
Hence, my search will continue but if a car comes across with the facelift that fits my budget, I won’t let the AP2 be a deal breaker, that it has been thus far!
As always THANK You!