Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Any after market for Hitch Cover Plate?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
OK, the magnets just came. 3m double sided tape on inside of plastic tube. Fairly good pull to get off with just 2 of them, went with 3 to play it safe. Looks good and works well. I'll double check the magnets for movement after some reasonable driving. If any issues I can always drill 2 small hole on either side of magnets and use a small plastic tie to hold them in place. Usually enough wiggle room in receiver to accommodate the flat part of a small tie.
View attachment 606236
Nice. What about epoxy for the magnets? How did you adjust the depth to get the cover to sit flush?

OK, the magnets just came. 3m double sided tape on inside of plastic tube. Fairly good pull to get off with just 2 of them, went with 3 to play it safe. Looks good and works well. I'll double check the magnets for movement after some reasonable driving. If any issues I can always drill 2 small hole on either side of magnets and use a small plastic tie to hold them in place. Usually enough wiggle room in receiver to accommodate the flat part of a small tie.
View attachment 606236
Can you please post a link to the magnets you used?

Here's the link for magnets:
https://www.amazon.com/LOVIMAG-Powe...ywords=lovimag+magnets&qid=1604837490&sr=8-14

As far as depth adjustment, being strong magnets, just push it in till flush and it stays there. What needs to be precise is how you attach the cover to the plastic tube. I inserted the tube and used a normal trailer pin to hold in place. I then used masking tape aligned with where I wanted the holes in the ears of the plastic tube onto the bumper above and below the cover. When the cover gets put back in place with clips still attached so it's tight, the tape is used as a guide to drill the 2 holes for tube to cover attachment.

Reactions: 5280mcs
Here's the link for magnets:
https://www.amazon.com/LOVIMAG-Powe...ywords=lovimag+magnets&qid=1604837490&sr=8-14

As far as depth adjustment, being strong magnets, just push it in till flush and it stays there. What needs to be precise is how you attach the cover to the plastic tube. I inserted the tube and used a normal trailer pin to hold in place. I then used masking tape aligned with where I wanted the holes in the ears of the plastic tube onto the bumper above and below the cover. When the cover gets put back in place with clips still attached so it's tight, the tape is used as a guide to drill the 2 holes for tube to cover attachment.

Picture of what your meaning? is it possible?

Yes, I'm a little confused on how you lined things up to correctly drill the holes. Yeah, we're a pain, but count it as compliments that a bunch of us think you have a good solution and are interested in trying it out.

OK, first pic shows masking tape along right and left side of the edge of the receiver hitch. Picture the plastic tube held in the hitch receiver with the pin and then you put the bumper cover back on. You now know where the edges are and can drill holes just to the outside of those edges which will also go through the ears on the plastic tube in the hitch receiver.
When I took the cover off to place the tape for the pic, it was apparent that the very strong magnets were more attracted to each other than the strength of the 3m tape. I've now drilled holes on either side of the magnets and looped 2 small plastic ties over each. I only used 2 magnets and made sure I had the repelling sides facing each other.
IMG_7689.JPG
IMG_7690.JPG
IMG_7691.JPG

Reactions: 5280mcs
I'm so confused as to how this is such a big issue? I took delivery of a MY with tow hitch last week. To remove the hitch cover I used a thin plastic squeegee (included with a Tesbros console wrap kit) starting at the upper right quadrant. I had it off in less than 30 secs with no fuss. I even put it back on and removed it a second time just to make sure it wasn't a fluke. It's just a series of depressable plastic clips securing it on.

Sounds like you have the knack. A bunch of us don't so we're looking to make it workable for us. In the summer I would expect to take if off and put it back on daily. That's what I do currently with the Subaru. So far my experience is that I would leave it off unless I knew I was going to have the bike rack off for some time because it takes me a couple minutes. I've already scuffed the surrounding plastic a little and bent some of those clips.

OK, first pic shows masking tape along right and left side of the edge of the receiver hitch. Picture the plastic tube held in the hitch receiver with the pin and then you put the bumper cover back on. You now know where the edges are and can drill holes just to the outside of those edges which will also go through the ears on the plastic tube in the hitch receiver.
When I took the cover off to place the tape for the pic, it was apparent that the very strong magnets were more attracted to each other than the strength of the 3m tape. I've now drilled holes on either side of the magnets and looped 2 small plastic ties over each. I only used 2 magnets and made sure I had the repelling sides facing each other.
View attachment 606531 View attachment 606532 View attachment 606533
Flybuddy - You've been very generous with your info and time - thank you. My last question - could you remove the cover without pulling on the handle? (The way we are all removing the stock cover now - with small tools) My tweak to your solution would be to have only bolts exposed and no handle.

Flybuddy - You've been very generous with your info and time - thank you. My last question - could you remove the cover without pulling on the handle? (The way we are all removing the stock cover now - with small tools) My tweak to your solution would be to have only bolts exposed and no handle.
That would work and you could simply paint the bolts flat black.

View attachment 606531 View attachment 606532 View attachment 606533
How is your set up working? Are two magnets strong enough to hold the cover in place (I am assuming you removed all the clips)? Do you have to go to a Tesla service center to get extra bumper covers or can they be ordered on line? Thanks.

How is your set up working? Are two magnets strong enough to hold the cover in place (I am assuming you removed all the clips)? Do you have to go to a Tesla service center to get extra bumper covers or can they be ordered on line? Thanks.

It stays in place, the magnets are quite strong and yes, all of the clips are removed. As far as the bumper covers, I believe you have to order from your local SC, you can do that on the phone or in person, I'm not aware of any online method.

Reactions: ACAG
View attachment 606236

This is great! When you drive, do you hear a rattle? Specially in bad roads?

I'm so confused as to how this is such a big issue? I took delivery of a MY with tow hitch last week. To remove the hitch cover I used a thin plastic squeegee (included with a Tesbros console wrap kit) starting at the upper right quadrant. I had it off in less than 30 secs with no fuss. I even put it back on and removed it a second time just to make sure it wasn't a fluke. It's just a series of depressable plastic clips securing it on.
I agree. After removing it a few times, you learn where the clips are and insert the tool at the correct locations. I use a small screwdriver.

Reactions: Koolio46
I'd buy one in a heartbeat if it was truly easy to use. But I'll admit I've just sat back and waited for someone to do the log work. One interesting thing about Tesla is that with all this tech, their communications are truly

I think the whole hitch design was kind of poor. I can get the pin in for my bike rack but it's a bit tricky. Seems like others are still trying.