Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Any after market for Hitch Cover Plate?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'd buy one in a heartbeat if it was truly easy to use. But I'll admit I've just sat back and waited for someone to do the log work. One interesting thing about Tesla is that with all this tech, their communications are truly

I think the whole hitch design was kind of poor. I can get the pin in for my bike rack but it's a bit tricky. Seems like others are still trying.
I'd buy one too, if someone can show it to me, and maybe even a part number...

Found it - COVER TOW HITCH -- 1494009-00-A

But there might be another one 1494009-00-B which might be the "new" cover.

Found it - COVER TOW HITCH -- 1494009-00-A

But there might be another one 1494009-00-B which might be the "new" cover.

Not finding a -B item...

I'd like it better if they had covered the hole with a button / circle that you pushed in. I think you could still hook and pull as easily. That said, I'll probably order one today. I was just about to make my own from a design elsewhere on the forum but while I like the forum one a little better, my innate laziness does not.

Get it and let us know :)

I wonder how it will match the plastic lower facia. I also wonder if its metal and will clang around ?

I still think the best overall option is just to bend in a few of the tabs to make the existing panel much easier to remove. Also you can prob source a rubber black grommet somewhere to fill that hole. It would look kinda odd with the hole in there.

I'm banking on any color differences to be hidden by the dirt 😃

I do the original cover with tabs cut off and it's still a pain. Plus when I took it off a couple days ago, one of the tabs had mangled so I cut that one off. Pretty soon it will just fall off I guess. I do have a pristine Tesla one, never used, with all tabs should I ever think putting that on is a good idea. Maybe in the future if I sold it.

I just ordered the cover from Amazon and will post pictures when it arrives. If it works I'll gladly sell the original on eBay and make $100.
I'm more interested in your bike rack. What kind? Not a Kuat and doesn't look like a 1-step. And would do you think of the rack vs either of those (if you know)?

I also thought the note about it only fitting VIN < 200,000 interesting. Wonder what they did and whether the new ones are easier to get a pin in etc.

HI All,

removing the hitch cover plate is less then desirable with no great way to grab it

has any after market companies come up with a replacement plate/grab method to remove?

if not hopefully someone will soon
Try this. I just received mine and it is soooo much better. Peter did a great job with the construction. Go to ETSY and search for Model Y Pop hitch

Attachments

• pop hitch.jpg
    pop hitch.jpg
    76.5 KB · Views: 197