Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Any apply Dynamat or similar to control chunky suspension noise?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The model Y has a pretty loud 'clunky' road noise from bumps on the stiff suspension. If you lift the trunk platform and tap on the storage bin and other surfaces, it rings loudly like a drum. I get wanting to keep it light, but this is too light and not damped at all.

On some past cars, I applied some sheet of Dynamat on these surfaces with great results reducing that 'big speaker effect' on these thin and light surfaces. Has anyone done this on the model Y? Is it easy to remove the storage bin and get under the thin covering to apply a dampening material?

I also think the subwoofer cavities in the back could use some dampening also to remove the boominess (aka resonance in the materials).

Update: Apologies for the title. Autocorrect got ahold of it and I didn't double check it before submitting :).

Interesting you mention this because I notice a chunk noise coming from the front suspension when I hit bad bumpy pavement that causes the wheel to drop (vs a raised bump in the ground). I’m guessing it’s the sound of the suspension bottoming out when extended....?

Glad I’m not the only one with loud suspension from the rear. I think it’s the tone more than the absolute loudness. It’s now a deep low thud sound, it’s a higher pitched almost “ping” type sound. I originally thought it might be plastic things bumping against each other in my sub trunk (I had left the front plate holder in there and metallic rear plate frame) but it’s for sure the suspension instead. I don’t notice it with any amount of music, and I might get used to it, but I’m glad it’s the norm and not “loose” parts on my car or something.

Looks like its easy to snap off the back plastic piece and pull up the liner a bit. I'm going to buy some Dynamat extreme and place it where the tub and side storage bins sound the 'thunkiest' when I tap on them. Also thinking of maybe putting a DynaPad under the trunk deck. I'll report on results when done.

Reactions: Koolio46