Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Any Aussies with front suspension rattle?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I've not heard the rattle (but then I usually have music pretty loud), I do however have a slow leak in the front air suspension (2017 MS P100D). I'm leaving it with Telsa for a while to make sure it doesn't drop after a day whilst I am away soon....oh and to get my yellowing screen fixed which just started appearing last week. Yes it is all very annoying when you spend this much but to be honest I'm not surprised when this is only the second car Tesla ever designed, it takes many years to get good at making cars.
Yes - none of the other manufacturers ever got any good at it.

• Funny
Reactions: baillies
How do you tell that it's a suspension-specific rattle? My car also experiences rattling over particularly crappy surfaces but I'm never able to point the finger to a particular source.
My new 75D has definately developed a bit of a rattle over the past weeks. Sounds like rear but not really triggered by bumps. I may have stumbled on a temporary solution if anyone else wants to try it. I put the suspension to high whilst driving, delete the memory thing, then after about 30 seconds drop it back to normal. No more rattle. Also definately no rattle when in high suspension. Not yet sure how long it takes for the rattle to return. Havnt tried extra low yet.

Got mine back from the SC today, below is what they said.

Concern: Rattling noise from front under heavy acceleration has returned. Please assess and order parts while customer is in for wheel alignment.
Corrections: Exterior NVH General Diagnosis Roadtested vehicle with customer, vibration and intermittent knock from front end.
Requires front shafts, jack shafts also RH motor mount. parts not in stock rebook when in stock,

My new 75D has definately developed a bit of a rattle over the past weeks. Sounds like rear but not really triggered by bumps. I may have stumbled on a temporary solution if anyone else wants to try it. I put the suspension to high whilst driving, delete the memory thing, then after about 30 seconds drop it back to normal. No more rattle. Also definately no rattle when in high suspension. Not yet sure how long it takes for the rattle to return. Havnt tried extra low yet.
Yeah, this actually seems to work for me. Thanks.
Temporary but better than nothing while we wait for a solution.

Don’t give them any ideas about “fixing” this in software, paulp....

I'm waiting for my 4th set of front half shafts and back in July Tesla knobbled the acceleration in high/very high setting. Since then, our Perth "Service Centre" - NOT, has adjusted my standard height down as a fix of sorts. Both essentially software.

I'm 51000kms and 18 months in to ownership and the "fix me" list is getting longer. :(

Tesla and me are going to be friends long after the body warranty ever expires, unfortunately.

Got mine back yesterday. The vibration and knocking seems to be gone (for now)

Capture.PNG

Regarding Tesla's suggestion above, doesn't the car automatically drop to standard or low height setting once you get over a certain speed? In which case it should stay in that position until you manually raise it or trigger it to be raised by a saved GPS location?
My car has had this kit installed so mine I guess is always lower than low :D (I have no rattles)
Sports Air Suspension Lowering Kit for Tesla Model S - Unplugged Performance

As far as I can tell the P100D doesn't have the suspension rattle issue for some reason. The "fix" for the rattle was replacement of the front left/right Air Spring Modules (struts), part FR-MS2 DM 1067361-77-C. As I said above, rattle is completely gone for now, but time will tell.

i might add that australian or at least rural australian roads are not very kind on the front suspension. i think the issue is that roads dont get planed here before they put the bithumen on it. i had to replace the front suspension after a 2500km fast drive through the outback on my ice car. (was already an older car though)

Hmmm, I haven’t experienced a rattle (other than dash/interior rattles) but today I had a strange creeking and knock sound from the right front wheel. Was just cruising on a straight stretch of road, but pulled over to inspect and couldn’t see anything out of the ordinary so continued and the sound stopped. Hadn’t come across that in 3 years and didn’t hear again for the next 2 hours of my trip so not sure what it was, but was concerning at the time! Pretty loud. Hoping not the start of a known issue. I have springs though and seems like others with the rattle have air suspension. Only happened today, might never happen again, but thinking if there is a known issue maybe I should get it looked at before out of warranty.

Hmmm, I haven’t experienced a rattle (other than dash/interior rattles) but today I had a strange creeking and knock sound from the right front wheel. Was just cruising on a straight stretch of road, but pulled over to inspect and couldn’t see anything out of the ordinary so continued and the sound stopped. Hadn’t come across that in 3 years and didn’t hear again for the next 2 hours of my trip so not sure what it was, but was concerning at the time! Pretty loud. Hoping not the start of a known issue. I have springs though and seems like others with the rattle have air suspension. Only happened today, might never happen again, but thinking if there is a known issue maybe I should get it looked at before out of warranty.
The known rattle is only tesla manufactured air suspension

• Informative
Reactions: bradjc
I got my Model S 75D in May. I noticed the rattle and had it confirmed with a Tesla service technician. It is mostly noticeable on uneven surfaces at low speeds.

I believe the issue comes from the air suspension in the front but then transmits so is hard to determine the direction. They said they had to manufacture a new part. In October they called me in and replaced the part. The rattle is now completely gone.

I think there was batch of cars made wth the defective part. So if you have a Model S from May to September 2018 and it has a rattle this is probably the issue.

I got my Model S 75D in May. I noticed the rattle and had it confirmed with a Tesla service technician. It is mostly noticeable on uneven surfaces at low speeds.

I believe the issue comes from the air suspension in the front but then transmits so is hard to determine the direction. They said they had to manufacture a new part. In October they called me in and replaced the part. The rattle is now completely gone.

I think there was batch of cars made wth the defective part. So if you have a Model S from May to September 2018 and it has a rattle this is probably the issue.
Mine is September 2017 and is confirmed as having the issue. Have gone through a huge saga with getting mine replaced. After having a booking 6 weeks in advance arranged just before I move cities, they had my car for 2 days, installed the suspension they ordered, then realised it was the wrong part number for my specific car, ripped the new suspension back out, put my old suspension back in and now I'm driving around back where we started until April when the second set of suspension arrives. All been a PITA.

Mine is September 2017 and is confirmed as having the issue. Have gone through a huge saga with getting mine replaced. After having a booking 6 weeks in advance arranged just before I move cities, they had my car for 2 days, installed the suspension they ordered, then realised it was the wrong part number for my specific car, ripped the new suspension back out, put my old suspension back in and now I'm driving around back where we started until April when the second set of suspension arrives. All been a PITA.
Not sure what your service centre is doing. I reported mine, two new struts arrived a few weeks later, and they were replaced whilst I waited (around 2 hours). New suspnsion is nice and quiet.
It is only front suspension that is faulty.