Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Any AutoPilot competition from other manufacturers?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I got rid of a Kia Niro plug in to get the tesla, their "lane keep assist" was the worst thing on the planet. ****ing thing would just jerk the wheel hard when you came into an area where the lane expanded. Personal opinion, the damn thing was dangerous and should automatically shut off if it sensed the lines diverting a certain percentage from the historical path.

So Kia is definitely not even close. I wouldn't want their "assist" feature installed on a shopping cart.

• Funny
Reactions: APotatoGod
I got rid of a Kia Niro plug in to get the tesla, their "lane keep assist" was the worst thing on the planet. ****ing thing would just jerk the wheel hard when you came into an area where the lane expanded. Personal opinion, the damn thing was dangerous and should automatically shut off if it sensed the lines diverting a certain percentage from the historical path.

So Kia is definitely not even close. I wouldn't want their "assist" feature installed on a shopping cart.

Just wait until the Model 3 does the same thing....

My 2015 Acura MDX has Acurawatch same as basic AP except it gets pissed off if you take your hands off the steering wheels line the Tesla. EAP is a different story though.
I didn’t think that system did anything appreciable if you were on sharper hills/curves — that’s been a hard thing for Tesla to master but to date it is the only system that can drive mountain passes with little human input

Also in terms of reading tricky lane lines the 2019.X builds have gotten shockingly good at. Lots of times AP knows how to drive in situations where the lane lines are either gone or misleading.

• Informative
I didn’t think that system did anything appreciable if you were on sharper hills/curves — that’s been a hard thing for Tesla to master but to date it is the only system that can drive mountain passes with little human input

Also in terms of reading tricky lane lines the 2019.X builds have gotten shockingly good at. Lots of times AP knows how to drive in situations where the lane lines are either gone or misleading.

It takes curves and hills just fine but it is a little bit more feisty when it comes to telling you to put your hands on the wheel.

The Model 3 gives your more time hands free before telling you to nudge.

• Informative
Cadillac is probably the closest competitor, aside from companies like Waymo, Uber and Apple, all of which are developing self driving technology but currently don’t have anything to sell. I have not tried the Cadillac Supercruise system but it gets very good reviews.

Your Cadillac Can Now Drive Itself More Places

Funny you mention Super Cruise ... just posted this in another thread. Look at what it takes to do one update to Super Cruise:
Super Cruise Increases Compatible Highway Network – TechLink

And the big manufacturers wonder why Tesla is so far ahead .... my Model 3 updates itself while I’m sleeping in my bed.

This isn’t a slam at Cadillac, BTW. I’ve owned several and really enjoyed them. Just that Tesla is a whole different league. Their vertical integration will come to pay massive dividends. Cadillac’s Super Cruise is built of components from their various manufacturers, all of which run different software which need to be qualified and tested.

Does any other manufacturer have comparable AutoPilot features (even just the basic EAP capabilities of dynamic cruise control + lane assist)? Has anybody tried the competitive AutoPilot implementations?

Just curious how far of a lead Tesla has...

I have TACC on an Audi and a VW, plus Lane Keep on the Audi. I find the cruise control on both to be better than on the Tesla, probably because of the additional LIDAR. It’s smoother and has way lower tendency to slam into stationary things, although it’s not to be trusted 100%. Between the two, the VW feels best, probably because it’s less powerful and is therefore programmed to accelerate and slow down more gingerly.

Lane Keep is overall not as good as in the Tesla. It has trouble with tight turns but it does better in certain freeway scenarios, in particular it seems to be able to stay in the lane when exiting left or when continuing straight and passing a left exit lane. A good example would be the exit from westbound Interatate 635 to southbound George Bush Turnpike in Dallas. The Tesla was confused by the apparent widening lane and went straight for the concrete wall every time (the exit is an underpass). The Audi behaves largely the same as the Tesla when passing a regular right exit.

The AutoPilot disengagement warning in the Tesla is implemented way better, a simple bong and a change of the icon. The Audi shows some stupid message in the dashboard, far less elegant, i.m.o.

The Audi has capacitive sensors in the steering wheel, so there’s no need to jerk the wheel for the car to feel you still have your hands on it. To me, that’s a huge improvement.

• Informative
I have TACC on an Audi and a VW, plus Lane Keep on the Audi. I find the cruise control on both to be better than on the Tesla, probably because of the additional LIDAR. It’s smoother and has way lower tendency to slam into stationary things, although it’s not to be trusted 100%. Between the two, the VW feels best, probably because it’s less powerful and is therefore programmed to accelerate and slow down more gingerly.

Lane Keep is overall not as good as in the Tesla. It has trouble with tight turns but it does better in certain freeway scenarios, in particular it seems to be able to stay in the lane when exiting left or when continuing straight and passing a left exit lane. A good example would be the exit from westbound Interatate 635 to southbound George Bush Turnpike in Dallas. The Tesla was confused by the apparent widening lane and went straight for the concrete wall every time (the exit is an underpass). The Audi behaves largely the same as the Tesla when passing a regular right exit.

The AutoPilot disengagement warning in the Tesla is implemented way better, a simple bong and a change of the icon. The Audi shows some stupid message in the dashboard, far less elegant, i.m.o.

The Audi has capacitive sensors in the steering wheel, so there’s no need to jerk the wheel for the car to feel you still have your hands on it. To me, that’s a huge improvement.

I've been looking at the new Audis for a while now. How sure are you that they actually have LIDAR? Was this a typo or could you please post a source?

How long does the Audi let you take your hands off the wheel before complaining?

I've been looking at the new Audis for a while now. How sure are you that they actually have LIDAR? Was this a typo or could you please post a source?

How long does the Audi let you take your hands off the wheel before complaining?

Not long, but the reminder is not intrusive at all. You'll be far less tempted to take your hands off the wheel compared to the Tesla because any gentle touch will register. Not having to constantly pull at the wheel means you can just rest a hand on it and let it do its job. In a suitable environment, that can be relaxing rather than annoying.

The warning consists of a yellow icon that lights up in the dashboard. It gives you ample warning until it starts harassing you audibly. If you don't respond, it will jerk the seat belt (it assumes you fell asleep). If you still do not respond, it will slow down automatically and then it stops with the hazards on and it calls the emergency assist service automatically.

Yes, it has a laser scanner (laser ranging unit).

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct...089/download&usg=AOvVaw0ax0mkq0mco4IWeojTggRG
(see pages 5 and 36)

"... the required data is obtained – depending on the selected options – from up to five radar sensors, six cameras, twelve ultrasound sensors and the laser scanner."

We have Honda's system in our 2018 Odyssey. It actually works quite well in tracking lanes over a long distance of travel. What I like about the system is you can correct the steering without kicking off the system, so there is no need to turn on and off auto steer like I have to in my Model 3 when traveling through areas where it doesn't work well (e.g. section of 405 from south to north OC with ever changing lane markers). In term of accuracy, I would rate both Odyssey and Model 3 the same.

• Helpful
Reactions: cucubits
We have Honda's system in our 2018 Odyssey. It actually works quite well in tracking lanes over a long distance of travel. What I like about the system is you can correct the steering without kicking off the system, so there is no need to turn on and off auto steer like I have to in my Model 3 when traveling through areas where it doesn't work well (e.g. section of 405 from south to north OC with ever changing lane markers). In term of accuracy, I would rate both Odyssey and Model 3 the same.
Apparently Openpilot also doesn't disengage on steering input. Seems like a better system for when you don't want to drive less than a foot from a tractor trailer. I find it requires it a very steady hand to disengage Autosteer without jostling the car and then of course you have to reenable it.

• Informative
There's Openpilot, an open source system similar to Autopilot, that's available for a bunch of different cars. The creator, George Hotz, claims it's on par with Autopilot for lane keeping and TACC but I've never talked to anyone who's actually used it.
comma.ai – Introducing openpilot

This is interesting. I've never heard of them. Not sure if I trust a $600 open source product to drive my car... Is it just working off data from one camera too?

Just wait until the Model 3 does the same thing....

over 3,000 miles logged now in the 3, and not a single instance. This vehicle goes to the middle of the lane or tells you to take over worst case scenario. That Kia would turn hard and follow the brightest stripe it could find and completely ignore the existence of anything else. It is no exaggeration about the 'feature' being dangerous.