TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Any battery life tips for low mileage drivers?

Discussion in 'Model 3: Battery & Charging' started by bottomsup, Sep 1, 2018.

1. bottomsup

bottomsup Member

do these batteries degrade based on time or use? I drive 7k per year and plan to keep the model 3 a looong time

2. TexasEV

TexasEV Well-Known Member

Other than charging to 100% only for road trips and not routinely, the best advice is don’t worry about it. Keep it plugged in when you can, let the battery management system manage the battery, and just enjoy the car.

• Like x 4
  3. ucmndd

ucmndd Active Member

Plug it in. Keep the state of charge in the middle of the range. Enjoy.

4. MikeATL

MikeATL Member

Lithium batteries degrade based on recharge cycles.... same as your mobile phone.

5. kavyboy

kavyboy Member

Agreed with @TexasEV. All the fussing over details (Is 50% better for long term? 70%?, etc.) reminds me of people who say to fill up a gas car in the morning cause cold gasoline takes up less volume and you get more for your money. Technically correct, and completely not worth bothering with. Keep it at 90% and don't let it sit for LONG periods of time below 10% or above 90% if you can avoid it, but if that does happen, continue not worrying about it. :)

6. Falkirk

Falkirk Member

I don't drive much day to day either so I set it to 70% and I've never stressed about the range. If I know I'm going to do more just increase the amount and forget about it! It's great having options like this.