Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Any Bay Area X owners willing to let me sit in their X?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I am a reservation holder, and just called the Stanford store today, where he informed me there is no show-room/test drive Model X (they expect to get one in a couple of weeks), but that the Palo Alto store is taking test drives for one Model X for Model X reservation holders only. I then called the Palo Alto store today, and was told, as a reservation holder, I could indeed come and sit inside their Model X, when it is not out on a test drive, and to call ahead to make sure there's no test drives scheduled when I come. Time allowing, I plan to do that this week one of these weekdays.

I already know that I like the front seat of the Model X. I just want to get a better idea of the room for all seats.

Perhaps you could call around some of the Easy Bay Tesla showrooms and see if they have similar options available. Perhaps Fremont has one you can sit in? Or you could make the trek to the Peninsula (and you might run into me doing the same thing :eek:).

Last edited:
I just came from the Dublin Tesla and they have one on display. They let me go into the room and play with the car, but not test drive. I sat in every seat played with the FWD to see if they would get stuck, but everything was fantastic! My order is confirmed tonight!

That's great. I did the same, getting to thoroughly sit in all seats and positioning myself and the seats, and was very satisfied with the information level I obtained. These notes are for myself for later in the year, finances permitting:
  • I fit in all seats with reasonable room without extra room, if and only if middle row seat is 1" forward of maximum forward lock position. Lock position is where it is ok to drive, and unlocks the ability for adjustment of middle seat by middle seat sitter (forward lower control button), and will not allow sitter to position middle seat to give myself enough room to sit in rear (1" shy). If middle seat not in locked position, car will throw error, and middle row sitter cannot adjust position of seat from forward lower control. If seat is in maximum forward lock position, I have 1" extra space for me in middle row and 1" shy in rear row for me if I'm sitting in both positions simultaneously. If I use rear control of middle seat to give myself room in rear, that puts middle row seat in unlocked position as described above.
  • Sudden stops in rear row would cause soft beam touch by my head. Middle row seats have ample head room above. Door hinge point in middle row would mean middle seat in 7 seater would be shorter, possibly unacceptable height for me, but I'm not buying that (most families with baby seat would use middle row middle seat for single baby seat in 7 seater from reviews I read here).
  • Then, I tested only using 4 seats, front and middle row only, and in this use pattern, all used seats could give MUCH more room; forward seats can go much further back, further than minimum for me to sit in them, and when they are in that position, middle seats can go much further back than minimum position where I fit in those and have ample room. Rear seats can fold down for cargo in this configuration. This is a very acceptable use pattern for me-sized people in all four non-rear seats, giving ample room for all four positions simultaneously.
  • With Captain's configuration (6 seats, what I intend to get), rear seats folded down, we used a tape measure and got approximately 6'-4" ± 2" (I didn't close the rear hatch) between rear hatch and front console. I'd rather use destination charging at hotels and other places, but in a pinch, if I had a purpose built platform between the two Captain's chairs (middle row gap in six seater), with shoes off I could comfortably fit. I'd need to be well off the road to avoid frontal or back impacts from errant traffic since there would be no leeway hatch-me-front console. The captain's chairs only have enough space between them for one adult in this configuration, so I'd have to be alone. X can carry camper trailer, though. 6' long cargo would need special interior padded container to hold it behind front console and from going vertically or sideways between Captain's chairs, as well as from scuffing rear hatch. Padded container could sit atop above mentioned purpose built platform and have a padded front and sides such as a one-open-side box, and snug between Captain's chairs, and need further fastening somehow. Otherwise, cargo is a bad idea in that location. More investigation for interior strapping might yield something simple for fastening, otherwise additional purpose built dunnage is required for that use.
  • I felt more comfortable in Model X when above four person positioning achieved than I did in Model S in any respective seat position between X vs. S; same row to same row (middle-middle or front-front) of X vs. S is better in X than S for 4 me-sized persons sitting comparison in every respective seat when set for four comfortable me's. This was not tested in six person sitting configuration of X vs. anything in S by me in any way. (Presumably, this means any choffer service would prefer X over S for ferrying ≤3 full sized adults in Captain's chair X config, but would require the "hint" of putting both rear seats in down position to guide entrants to middle row experience, and pre-setting all seats to more-room setting so inexperienced passengers wouldn't lack in comfort.)
  • The seats don't jut into the sides of my back like I experienced in the S. I don't know if I simply didn't notice, or if they are better.
For those that may be curious: I am six feet tall, much longer trunk than most six foot tall people by many inches (and shorter legs than those six footers with shorter trunks than I), and wide shouldered, wide backed, and wide hipped. I am ~175#. When I reach down with my hands at my side when I'm standing straight up, I can't reach as far down as average people of my height (relatively shorter arms), but this isn't an enormous effect, however it means I have to lean over at every counter top and ADA ATM machine (which ties up one of my hands and arms supporting my back, making such equipment one-handed only for me).

Last edited: