Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Any benefit to ordering FSD besides saving the $2000?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
i am not sure how to interpret Elon’s tweet. I have had my Model S spec’ed with FSD since 2016 and obviously have not seen any benefit.

Being that there has been end in sight, I had resolved to just suck it up and pay the $2000 extra ($5000 total) if and when FSD goes live. I am not sure how to interpret Elon’s tweet (link below). Does this mean that if you hold off and add FSD it will just be the same $5000 when it comes out or that it may be even more for the additional new hardware required?

Thanks

Twitter

The general consensus is that whatever the FSD option costs post-delivery is whatever you pay to have FSD software with hardware swap included.

In other word if you want the updated FSD hardware you have to pay the FSD option (currently $5k post delivery) if not already purchased. There's no separate fee for the hardware.

If you had the option to pay $1000 extra in the past ($4000 total), Tesla will honor that based on what I've read. Even though portal says $5,000 you will get refunded $1,000.

Does that deal stay forever? No one knows.

Unless your opportunity cost was extremely high for $4,000, easiest thing to do is just hand it over as a buddy loan to Tesla IF you were going to get FSD no matter what. Gives them capital, hurts shorts.

You are protected against any price raises and assured to get AP3 hardware when it is released.

First FSD features roll out to advanced consumer team this month.

In other word if you want the updated FSD hardware you have to pay the FSD option (currently $5k post delivery) if not already purchased. There's no separate fee for the hardware.

4K for anyone who ever had the post delivery option for that amount.

4K for anyone who ever had the post delivery option for that amount.
Yes, just keeping it simple. I am one of those who had it for $4k. Still haven't purchased it.

EM said "probably" 4-6 months. If history was to follow that timeframe is over optimistic. Sure you can buy it now, but there is a (high) chance that timeframe slips and becomes 1 year. Depends how old one's current car is, it could be 2 years old and you might not even see any of its feature before you sell it or trade in @ year 3.

Yes, just keeping it simple. I am one of those who had it for $4k. Still haven't purchased it.

EM said "probably" 4-6 months. If history was to follow that timeframe is over optimistic. Sure you can buy it now, but there is a (high) chance that timeframe slips and becomes 1 year. Depends how old one's current car is, it could be 2 years old and you might not even see any of its feature before you sell it or trade in @ year 3.

Also keep in mind that Elon and devs have had varying levels of FSD for months maybe a year +? I find it credible that the advanced consumer group could see some of that in their cars for evaluation.

I don’t see coast to coast drives in a year but FSD features as avaliable sounds reasonable. I believe that uptake and activations on FSD is part of what is being counted on to make Q3 and Q4 profitable.

As a Tesla leasee or a quick turn around person, it doesn’t make sense to pay FSD until it has enough feature value.

Though it’s a open runway to upgrade for those who have or plan to keep their cars for a long time.

I knew AP hardware had to be absolutely locked or upgradable when Model 3 was released. Can’t go oops, as hundreds of thousands of cars reached a dead end with no path out.

What is this advanced consumer group and how can one participate?

Those who are in it are honor bound to not share their participation.

It’s invite only but I imagine it would be in Tesla’s best interest to reach out to those who provide valuable and useful feedback via email and vehicle big reports to help development and the rest of the driving fleet.

Damn I would love to do this, I’m the type of guy who bought FSD just to see it develop over the years I plan to keep this car 10 years! Should be an autonomous taxi by then :)

I feel like I will get a 4K return in TSLA if I paid for FSD now as well as everyone else!

More cash balance for Tesla is always a good thing for all the owners.

Just sucks after purchase it can’t be financed. :(

Reactions: preilly44

It could be that way, but supposedly the first features will be released this month. Is that now just going to be EAP features?

It could be that way, but supposedly the first features will be released this month. Is that now just going to be EAP features?
I believe he changed his timeframe for that.

68829DF3-9DFC-49B3-8F27-DEF8CCE55864.jpeg

• Informative
Reactions: Kant.Ing
Thanks everyone for your thoughts. Tough decision. Like I had mentioned in the original post I had prepaid for FSD in 2016 on my S (which I am keeping) but obviously never seen anything yet.

I had decided to wait for FSD and only pirchase EAP on my Model 3, which should be here sometime this month, but then I saw Elon’s previous tweet mentioning an update and first FSD features this month, only to be further confused by his other tweet from yesterday mentioning 4 - 6 months EST ( Elon Standard Time).

If I had it to do over again I would probably have gone without EAP and FSD, and used that money to buy Performance. The Performance model features (except for Track Mode, which I will rarely use, if ever) will be available on Day One of ownership. FSD won't be FSD for years to come. And from what I'm reading about the current iteration of EAP from owners it's often more annoying than helpful. My views on that last sentence may change when I am actually using the car myself.

Remember FSD features comes incrementally and is priced for prepurchase.

It’s already more expensive than it was just a few months ago.

FSD at it’s full potential is worth more than the rest of the car itself.

3000-4000 relatively to that is low. It’s a reasonable risk reward investment considering your entitlement to AP3 hardware. You are betting it goes up to 10K or more say 2-3 years down the road. Level 5 is not needed to be worth 10K.

Last edited:
Reactions: pdx3181