Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Any chance Elon will delete falcon wing doors

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I think someday they will have a larger SUV without falcon wing doors, but it will not be called Model X, and will not be the flagship SUV.

I think we are much more likely to see an XL version of the Model Y. Or a SUV derivative on the Cyber truck.

Reactions: ElectricIAC
Exactly the reasons why I'd never buy one.
It wouldn’t stop me but I also wish my S had simpler door handles. None of mine have broken ... yet. I don’t love the fact passengers are stumped by my 3 door handles either but at least they seem less likely to fail.

Both of my Teslas have lived up to their electric car heritage by requiring almost no maintenance in a combined 6 years of ownership. So I can live with some limitations of door design on the X, S and 3.

Is there any chance there will be a a model X without the falcon wing doors. IMHO they have served their marketing purpose. The price of modX can be reduced and an apparent maintenance issue will be eliminated. I'm new here and maybe this subject has already hashed over and would welcome a direction to it.
this is way more common on older models. Practically a non-issue on models post 2018.

this is way more common on older models. Practically a non-issue on models post 2018.
I have March 2017 built and Nov 2017 built model X and falcon wing doors did not have any problems (other than the rubbing against car body that destroyed paint, I guess). So I am not sure what problems people have in mind. About the only common problem I heard about is the sensors issue that would not let the door fully open in some conditions which is annoying for sure I imagine, but hardly fatal.

Reactions: rush6410 and Ryshaw
Is there any chance there will be a a model X without the falcon wing doors. IMHO they have served their marketing purpose. The price of modX can be reduced and an apparent maintenance issue will be eliminated. I'm new here and maybe this subject has already hashed over and would welcome a direction to it.

None chance, third law of elon says once a vehicle is designed it is dead to any structural changes

• Funny
Reactions: alloverx and Ryshaw
...new...

I bought the X because of the utility of the Falcon Wing Doors. They are great, very useful, easy to get in and out. The front and rear trunks go up and down so I don't see why the doors for driver and passengers can't be up and down too.

I bought it since 2017 and over 43 thousand miles without any problem.

Anyhow, you might get what you wish for someday because Elon Musk threatened that:

"I mean, they're very expensive, made in low volume. To be totally frank, we're continuing to make them more for sentimental reasons than anything else. They're really of minor importance to the future."

Between the more expensive Model X and less expensive Model S, guess which one was sold more in the first half of 2020:

Model X: 9,500 units
Model S: 4,700 units

So who says that more customers pick a simple and cheaper door Model S?

Last edited:
Reactions: alloverx and Ryshaw

I doubt it. Too much rain and snow would get in, it the doors were gone, although visibility would improve for rear seat passengers. Plus I'd think the energy consumption would go through the roof, with no doors.