Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Any chance of gray performance wheels?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Like many people, I dislike silver. I’m planning to pick the performance model y, but I really want the gray performance wheels with the red calibers, not the silver. Is there any chance of this going to change? If it doesn’t, I’ll be going with the Dual Motor AWD Model Y. If you don’t know what I’m talking about, look at the model 3 performance. I really want those wheels on the model y performance! Does anyone have any information about this or can reach out to Elon Musk or Tesla? Picture shown is from the model 3 performance

Attachments

• 5D505E9A-1DA7-456C-A00C-F30AE3E5D27A.jpeg
    5D505E9A-1DA7-456C-A00C-F30AE3E5D27A.jpeg
    321.7 KB · Views: 128
The Model Y web page has not really been updated for a while. I fully expect the grey wheels will be available closer to production. They will look awesome with the standard Model Y chrome delete.

I'm waiting for the darker wheels AND a battery/range update before I place my order. 280 mile range is just not enough of a range upgrade from my old S. If the 100kWh battery rumors are true, it should be 400+ mile range, and I will order a Model YP the moment it is available.

The Model Y web page has not really been updated for a while. I fully expect the grey wheels will be available closer to production. They will look awesome with the standard Model Y chrome delete.

Personally, I'm waiting for the darker wheels AND a battery/range update before I place my order.

280 Miles is just not enough of a range upgrade from my old S. If the 100kWh battery rumors are true, it should be 400+ mile range, and I will order a Model YP the moment it is available.
Personally, I don’t really care about the range, 280 is plenty for my mom, my dad drives a lot to work, back, and other places, his tri-motor Cybertruck will assist him with that. But you are right, if the gray performance wheels do get released, we’ll probably go for the performance model y.

not sure if you can change your order at the last minute, i hope so as i would really like to get the gray performance wheels for the Y as well.

i'm not a tire person but i do know the model 3 tires are a smaller tire overall than the model Y so i'm curious if that means that the model 3 gray performance wheels will not fit a model Y? (or will tesla create a bigger version for Y?)

The Model 3 20" Sport wheels on Performance will fit in Model Y, need to add 255/40R20 tires to match MY OEM specs.

The 20" Model 3 wheels are rated (load) ~900 kg - enough to meet Model Y heaviest GAWR (Gross Axle Wheel Rating) of 1500 kg. 1500/2=750 kg minimum load rating per wheel. 900 kg is more than 750 kg.

So, one can order the grey 20" M3 wheels from Tesla Service Center (just the wheels), buy TPMS sensors, and tires..then mount them to Model Ys if they prefer the grey M3 20" Sportwheels look.

The M3 and MY have the same bolt patterns.
The M3 20" Sportwheels are 20X8.5 inches.
8.5 wheels are minimum width requirement for 255/40R20 tires.

I am doing this sort of thing, only will use Black vs Gray 20" Sportwheels.
20200227_211913.jpg
received_225056468626165.jpeg

• Informative
Reactions: Electric Steve