Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Any chance of this getting implemented in the U.S. ? (device to stop cars 'ICEing' Superchargers)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It may make sense in places where this is a common problem, but so far in the Bay Area in CA, I have not encountered ICEing before at superchargers. Only saw a PHEV that pulled in, but promptly left after realizing the chargers were not compatible with their car.

It may make sense in places where this is a common problem, but so far in the Bay Area in CA, I have not encountered ICEing before at superchargers. Only saw a PHEV that pulled in, but promptly left after realizing the chargers were not compatible with their car.
I actually see it quite often, specifically Santana Row, Target by SJC, and Oakridge Mall(new).

and then there are these people
IMG_2658.jpg

maybe they should also implement device to make sure you are inside the line.

• Funny
  • Disagree
Reactions: lUtriaNt and EVNow
A few years ago I saw 3 diesel trucks with big tires taking up 3 supercharging stalls at the Petaluma SC. They took the cables and put them in the gas tank opening and wrapped around the rear view mirrors. This was reported to the Sheriff as well as Tesla, they installed cameras and since have not seen it again. Unfortunately there are lots of people out there that have a thing against EV’s especially more expensive ones. These types would just run over these blocks.

As @DaveG_NJ mentioned, this is a tripping hazard in the current format. In the US, someone would trip over it (or at least pretend to trip over it) and sue. If they modified it and perhaps made it 5 to 6 feet tall, then it might work and wouldn't be a tripping hazard. Someone could still walk into it, I suppose. They could make it a 6 foot red LED so people would see and hopefully avoid it. I could also see it being an issue in outdoor locations that receive snow as snowplows would take them out in their current format.

In the US, someone would trip over it (or at least pretend to trip over it) and sue. If they modified it and perhaps made it 5 to 6 feet tall, then it might work and wouldn't be a tripping hazard.
Its no more a tripping hazard than a curb.

But I prefer something like a normal road access control that everyone would recognize.

1639153258775.png

With optional spikes ;)

1639153336158.png

Reactions: mark95476
Put a "Report ICEing" in the app or car. Calling out hungry tow-truck operators sounds like a just and scalable solution.

A few years ago I saw 3 diesel trucks with big tires taking up 3 supercharging stalls at the Petaluma SC. They took the cables and put them in the gas tank opening and wrapped around the rear view mirrors. This was reported to the Sheriff as well as Tesla, they installed cameras and since have not seen it again. Unfortunately there are lots of people out there that have a thing against EV’s especially more expensive ones. These types would just run over these blocks.