TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Any competition?

Discussion in 'Electric Vehicles' started by richkae, Dec 1, 2011.

1. richkae

richkae VIN587

Any idea on who may introduce a 200+ mile 5 passenger "affordable" BEV other than Tesla?

Everyone else who isnt pretending ( I'm looking at you Audi ) is planning 100 mile BEVs or EREV hybrids.

2. TEG

TEG TMC Moderator

Infiniti is expected to have a sedan within the next 2 years. But they may decide to do the lower price, shorter range thing.

BYD could surprise us with something...

Daimler? VW/Audi?

On the other hand, Tesla may have the "premium, decent range, 100% electric, performance luxury sedan" segment all to themselves for a little while.

Would Toyota consider putting Tesla tech into a Lexus model?

3. vfx

vfx Well-Known Member

I was going to mention Infiniti but they were talking 130 mile range..

4. Iz

Iz EVs are here to stay

Tesla would totally own the market if they could somehow drop the price point by $20k on Model S and still offer a 300 mile pack.

5. EVNow

EVNow Active Member

I wonder whether Infiniti will do multiple range options. Also, they may be able to do the "160" mile instead of 130, if they have enough space.

I don't think anyone is planning a very large EV like the S - with enough space to hold enough batteries to offer 300 mile range (UDDS?).

6. Lloyd

Lloyd Well-Known Member

Anything that comes out for the next several years will be at a disadvantage as the other car makers are trying to adapt an ICE designed car to an EV. Tesla is advanced in EV technology, and I believe it will take the others many years to begin to catch up. Tesla has a unique opportunity and advantage.

7. GSP

GSP Member

^^^^ well said! :)

GSP

8. Mitrovic

Mitrovic Member

Renault Zoe.
    OK it is a compact car, but it seats 5 people. Should be on the market late 2012 / early 2013.
    It is no competitor for the Model S though.

9. Robert.Boston

Robert.Boston Model S VIN P01536

The Renault Fluence seems closer to the Model S. With a 22kWh battery, however....

10. EVNow

EVNow Active Member

I think the only direct competition might come from BMW - who are designing EVs from scratch. I beleive they have, apart from i3 & i8, other cars like i5 on the design boards. Something like i5 would be large enough to hold enough batteries to challenge S on range. But it might be more than 5 years away.

11. Eberhard

Eberhard #421 Model S #S32

and to be charged within 1h with 32A 3-phase?