Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Any competitors close to Tesla Autopilot?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
You’re confusing Autopilot and FSD. Basic Tesla Autopilot is simply just traffic aware cruise control (aka adaptive cruise control) and lane centering assist.

Many cars have that and many actually perform better than Autopilot, especially considering the increased amount of phantom braking with the latest “vision only” updates.

If you’re talking about more advanced autonomous systems then Ford Blue Cruise and GM SuperCruise are up there. There’s arguments as to which is better, but those two systems advertise as fully hands free driving along certain highways as long as the drivers eyes are on the road. Tesla FSD still requires hands on the wheel at all times, but is not limited to only pre-mapped highways. They all require full driver attention so are still classified as level 2 autonomy.

BMW iDrive is the name of an infotainment system, not drivers assist.

You’re confusing Autopilot and FSD. Basic Tesla Autopilot is simply just traffic aware cruise control (aka adaptive cruise control) and lane centering assist.

Many cars have that and many actually perform better than Autopilot, especially considering the increased amount of phantom braking with the latest “vision only” updates.

If you’re talking about more advanced autonomous systems then Ford Blue Cruise and GM SuperCruise are up there. There’s arguments as to which is better, but those two systems advertise as fully hands free driving along certain highways as long as the drivers eyes are on the road. Tesla FSD still requires hands on the wheel at all times, but is not limited to only pre-mapped highways. They all require full driver attention so are still classified as level 2 autonomy.

BMW iDrive is the name of an infotainment system, not drivers assist.
Appreciate there info! For some reason Teslas Autopilot has always felt better to me than just adaptive cruise control and lane keep, so I always thought it was “more” than that.

We've seen several automakers make promises over the years then not deliver. The latest making noises is Merc.

Last edited:
Appreciate there info! For some reason Teslas Autopilot has always felt better to me than just adaptive cruise control and lane keep, so I always thought it was “more” than that.
When it first came out, basic Autopilot was much better than most other ADAS systems on the market. Most had adaptive cruise but could not bring you down to a stop and/or only had lane departure assist and not active lane centering.

Now in 2022 the competition has caught up or surpassed Tesla Autopilot. Many ADAS suites now include functionality that Tesla used to have for Enhanced Autopilot (but you can’t get anymore unless you pay for FSD). Things like automatic lane changes, automatic parking assistant, “summon” (aka smart park/remote parking), etc.

When it first came out, basic Autopilot was much better than most other ADAS systems on the market. Most had adaptive cruise but could not bring you down to a stop and/or only had lane departure assist and not active lane centering.

Now in 2022 the competition has caught up or surpassed Tesla Autopilot. Many ADAS suites now include functionality that Tesla used to have for Enhanced Autopilot (but you can’t get anymore unless you pay for FSD). Things like automatic lane changes, automatic parking assistant, “summon” (aka smart park/remote parking), etc.
Good to know? What competitors offer those features today?

We have both a Mach E and Tesla MYP. I don't use FSD on city streets due to all the pot holes and bad roads. Not sure I would use it even if we had great roads. I enjoy driving the car too much. However, on interstates and major highways Ford's bluecruise is far superior. We can drive from our home in PA to NYC and touch the wheel for maybe 5 miles total out of the 100 mile trip. Ford doesn't have auto lane change but according to beta news it is coming in the next few updates. And we've NEVER had a phantom breaking event on our MME.

Also the Ford will stop and go with traffic - even on city streets, it just won't stop at a red light if there isn't another car in front of it stopping/stopped.

Last edited:
I know there’s third party options like OpenPilot, but what about options built natively into cars though? BMW iDrive, etc?
VW ID.4 Travel Assist is great and as capable ad AP2/3 in Europe. I would claim that the blended experience, ie you can steer the wheel while the system is active, is really good. You can also offset the car in the lane with countersteer for 5 seconds if you want to.

BMW iX Driving Assistant Professional is also wonderful. Has a faster auto lane change than 21 M3LR EAP.
E-tron and I-pace systems were a little below AP in capability.