Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Any Concern parking in steamy FL hot garages?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm taking delivery this week and a little concerned about parking in my steamy hot garage here in FL. The majority of Tesla's in my community are parked outside but so are their ICE counterparts, the primary reason being that people turn their garages into attached storage units since we don't have basements in FL.

In hindsight, I'm wondering if the extra heat in garages plays a factor for folks parking outside regardless of the reasons stated above, especially during summer months when it can be over 120F.

Don't stress. I've had my Model X 75D for three years now and it spends most of the time parked in a steamy hot garage with afternoon sun exposure. Temps regularly get over 100 in my garage. I have about 3% battery degradation after 34k miles. Good charging practices like charging only to 70% daily and charging to 100% only immediately before long trips are more important to maintaining battery health.

The temperature inside of the garage isn't as important as the temperature that will be inside of the car.

The glass windshield of cars turns them into portable greenhouses. Sunlight enters and heats up the air, but that air cannot escape so the temperature is continually increasing. A car will quickly reach 120 degrees out in the sun, and go well beyond that.

The car should be fine out in the sun, but you have things backwards. It is worse in the sun.

• Helpful
Reactions: Rocky_H