Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Any Concerns about Installing OEM Tow Bar on 2017 MX?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I purchased a used 2017 100D Model X (born December 2017). It doesn't have the tow bar or the hitch receiver. I contacted my SC and they want $1500 to install one. I really only need one for a bike rack.

I looked at a couple of options:
  1. Install the Draw-Tite aftermarket hitch (https://www.etrailer.com/Trailer-Hi...cleid=201760496#exp-productdetails=.questions). I don't like how this one permanently hangs out and I couldn't get the software tow update.
  2. Buy a used OEM Bosal bar and a hitch. Right now, this looks like a $700 option.
I'm confident I can install either bar, no worries there.

If I went with the OEM, will the SC push the tow package update to me without a charge? For a bike rack, I don't think I need it but I'd like to have it in case I need it down the road.

Is there anything I'm not thinking about with the OEM option?

TIA

I've installed two Draw-Tite receivers, one on my 2016 X and one on my 2020 X. I strongly prefer them to the OEM Bosal. My thread on them is here, which includes some installation photos.

I find that most people don't remove and replace the hitch adapter on the Bosal anyway, and it protrudes more than the Draw-Tite, so I find the latter a more streamlined solution. Also, you can cut the panel to make a tighter fit; my 2016 X had a lot of debris and gravel stuck up inside of there when I went to replace the Bosal.

Good luck.

• Informative
Reactions: Aaron14902
I've installed two Draw-Tite receivers, one on my 2016 X and one on my 2020 X. I strongly prefer them to the OEM Bosal. My thread on them is here, which includes some installation photos.

I find that most people don't remove and replace the hitch adapter on the Bosal anyway, and it protrudes more than the Draw-Tite, so I find the latter a more streamlined solution. Also, you can cut the panel to make a tighter fit; my 2016 X had a lot of debris and gravel stuck up inside of there when I went to replace the Bosal.

Good luck.
Hi @ohmman,

I saw your thread, that's what gave me the confidence to install one myself! Thanks for your detailed review.

In the end, given that we'll only use the hitch three or four times a year, I really like the option to take out the hitch off for the 48 weeks of the year we don't need it.

I've found two OEM parts on eBay: 10057987001 and 102758100D. Are these interchangable? If not, how do I determine which is the right one for my vehicle?

Thanks!

Hi @ohmman,

I saw your thread, that's what gave me the confidence to install one myself! Thanks for your detailed review.

In the end, given that we'll only use the hitch three or four times a year, I really like the option to take out the hitch off for the 48 weeks of the year we don't need it.

I've found two OEM parts on eBay: 10057987001 and 102758100D. Are these interchangable? If not, how do I determine which is the right one for my vehicle?

Thanks!
I can't say for certain, but I suspect they are interchangeable. The bolt pattern doesn't appear to have changed. I actually have the OEM Bosal from my 2020 which is 102758100F. And I'm happy to send it to you cheap if you're interested. It was removed the day we brought the X home because we were leaving on a camping trip the next day due to wildfires. I have the adapter and the hitch bar. Photo attached.

IMG_2782.jpeg

• Helpful
Reactions: T-Mom
I can't say for certain, but I suspect they are interchangeable. The bolt pattern doesn't appear to have changed. I actually have the OEM Bosal from my 2020 which is 102758100F. And I'm happy to send it to you cheap if you're interested. It was removed the day we brought the X home because we were leaving on a camping trip the next day due to wildfires. I have the adapter and the hitch bar. Photo attached.

View attachment 852433

That would be fantastic, I'll take you up on that! How do I get in touch with off-thread?