Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Any current benefit to doing the HW3 upgrade for MCI 1 owners

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I've a 2017 MS with MCI1 and paid for FSD. Telsa has sent multiple messages saying I can have the HW3 upgrade installed now. I don't intend on paying for the MCU2 upgrade.

I've seen the rumors that an HW4 upgrade might be coming. I intended on waiting until the HW4 comes out or FSD rolls out to us plebeians and everyone in my situation loves it. I've not heard of any feedback saying they felt they got anything new for AP (or really anything) after a HW3 upgrade.

I just don't see any reason to do the upgrade right now.

Thoughts?

HW4 is not confirmed, Does not exist.

The FSD chip (HW3) critically cripples MCU 1 vehicles. To a point where you will be forced to trade/sell because of all the issues. Everything is extremely slow, I had to force the service center to remove HW3 and bring back HW 2.5. MCU 2 is required,

• Funny
Reactions: APotatoGod
I did not experience any extra slowdown with FSD retrofit + MCU1. might be placebo, but AP feels smoother overall with less abrupt lane keeping corrections. Also, the car now has stop light and stop sign visualization and functions, along with the addition of Dashcam recording. Still no Dashcam Viewer built in though. That's probably an MCU2 thing

I am in the camp of someone having a perfectly working MCU1 prior to upgrade to HW3 (part of the FSD upgrade). It's my belief that the MCU1 (inclusive of a processor/design from circa 2009) that was designed to work with AP1 through AP2.5, has additional load placed on it when HW3 (and its chipset that was engineered circa 2017 and designed for MCU2) is introduced. Combine the additional resource load of HW3 with typical software bloat over the years, and in my case, ended up with frequent black screens/reboots/lag/screen freezing, etc. The suggestion to me from my SC (after confirming/seeing some of the issues themselves during visits and with analysis): "weve had much customer success in resolving these issues by going to MCU2. That seems to really solve everything"

In my case? It did..

• Informative
Reactions: pilotSteve
I am in the camp of someone having a perfectly working MCU1 prior to upgrade to HW3 (part of the FSD upgrade). It's my belief that the MCU1 (inclusive of a processor/design from circa 2009) that was designed to work with AP1 through AP2.5, has additional load placed on it when HW3 (and its chipset that was engineered circa 2017 and designed for MCU2) is introduced. Combine the additional resource load of HW3 with typical software bloat over the years, and in my case, ended up with frequent black screens/reboots/lag/screen freezing, etc. The suggestion to me from my SC (after confirming/seeing some of the issues themselves during visits and with analysis): "weve had much customer success in resolving these issues by going to MCU2. That seems to really solve everything"

In my case? It did..

Same issues. Had daughter board replaced but going to go for MCU2.

I did not experience any extra slowdown with FSD retrofit + MCU1. might be placebo, but AP feels smoother overall with less abrupt lane keeping corrections. Also, the car now has stop light and stop sign visualization and functions, along with the addition of Dashcam recording. Still no Dashcam Viewer built in though. That's probably an MCU2 thing

Same experience here. Maybe we are the lucky few, but I have experienced no issues thus far.

2017 model S 75 RWD September build with FSD. AP hardware 2.5 upgraded to 3.0 with MCU1.

Same experience here. Maybe we are the lucky few, but I have experienced no issues thus far.

2017 model S 75 RWD September build with FSD. AP hardware 2.5 upgraded to 3.0 with MCU1.
I will say, though, my MCU1 infotainment has been slow ever since I took ownership lol. It just didn't get worse with the FSD retrofit is all. I plan on upgrading to MCU2 in a few months. We'll see