TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Any Dashcam Install Advice?

Discussion in 'Model X: Interior & Exterior' started by Muzzman1, Apr 23, 2016.

1. Muzzman1

Muzzman1 Member

Hi everyone,
    I know there's many Model S thread regarding Dashcam installs, as well as there have been a few Model X installs performed.
    I wonder if anyone knows if there's a constant 12V in the mirror on the MX, if not, where are people getting power for the camera when mounted behind the rearview mirror?

Any photo's or advice is welcome.

I'm planning a DIY thread next weekend on the install

2. ohmman

ohmman Maximum Plaid Member

@K-MTG has mentioned that he's got experience with personal installs of them on his Acura. He and I have a secret behind-the-forum handshake deal on me trading my sunshade for his help installing my Blackvue. But don't tell anyone.

• Funny x 3
    • Like x 2
  3. K-MTG

K-MTG Sunshade Captain of TMC

Deal! I have a review posted on my channel, will post another video soon demonstrating the Blackvue Over the Cloud Feature.

On my Acura, it was a very simple install since the fuses are located under the dashboard. Not sure if I will do it myself or hire someone to do it, I recall a forum member got a clean install done for $300 at beach audio in Huntington Beach. It is more complicated on the X because of the panoramic windshield, falcon wing doors, and rear hatch.

4. DrTaras

DrTaras R254->R725->S1364-->X769

Looking for a picture of the DashCam on the FRONT windshield on a Model X. The pano-windshield provides challenges (as compared to a Model S or other 'mere-mortal' windshields) so looking for photo-documentation of placement. Thanx in advance o_O

• Like x 2
  5. Muzzman1

Muzzman1 Member

@DrTaras I'm I. Porter ranch. So if you find a good installer let me know.
    I'm leaving town for a couple weeks but when I return I plan to attack this either with a professional or by myself. (Professional preferred)

6. DrTaras

DrTaras R254->R725->S1364-->X769

Since you ask, honestly, though I'm in Woodland Hills, I'll be going back to @Tsportline guys via AE54.com in WeHo who have done all my Teslas. I just wanted to give them some direction on this special windshield.
    PS-Just looked at another post where they put up some pix: Blackvue 650 (Dashcam) Group Buy - $310, including 32 Gig Card

7. *^_^*

*^_^* Member

Hi all, just giving an update - I got 2 sets of BlackVue dash cams installed today by Johnny at Calibred Customs - excellent. Love Johnny, BlackVue and their app. Oh yea and the Tesla X too ;)

8. Muzzman1

Muzzman1 Member

I used Johnny as well. In fact we were his 1st X.
    I recommend him any chance I get.

9. rjdoc74

rjdoc74 Member

If you don't mine me asking, what did Johnny charge for the install? You can PM me if you want. TIA!

10. K-MTG

K-MTG Sunshade Captain of TMC

11. Muzzman1

Muzzman1 Member

Sorry I do t remember the exact number but something like $375

12. rjdoc74

rjdoc74 Member

13. dark

dark Member

I just installed my blackvue. I am a DIY kind of guy, the blackvue came off of my S, reinstalled it to my X. The X is a lot more well built, solid car. Tesla's plastic components are super brittle. Based on my installation experience from my S, I was super careful when removing the panels and I still broke the clips at couple of spots.

I use the power from my passinger door wiring since it was the easiest location to tab for me. I had a hard time finding the ignition 12v, so I ended up using only the 12v constant power, I have the power magic pro, so hopefully it will work to prevent draining my battery.

My X has been parked for few days and it is still going.

14. kazkioken

kazkioken Member

My two Blackvues (I have a 1 channel 650 and a 2 channel 650, front, rear, interior) are all connected constant source and are on 24/7...have not noticed any additional power drain other than the normal day to day vampire drain. Johnny also did my install as well as my Valentine One, HUGE recommendation for him to install it if you are in SoCal - he also goes to New York too for installs.