Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Any definitive answer on charging to 100% or not?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Actually looking up the vin decoder the 7th letter of my VIN is F which means it is LFP which means charge to 100%.
The 7th letter of the VIN is not a reliable way to tell if you have an LFP vehicle. I have an E, and mine is an LFP vehicle. The two best indicators are: (1) the absence of the "daily" and "trip" limits on the charging screen, and (2) the weight (the LFP vehicle weighs 212 lbs more). Here are a few relevant screen shots from the European manual:

1631554724105.png

Attachments

• 1631557917885.png
    1631557917885.png
    77 KB · Views: 56
  • 1631554724105.png
    1631554724105.png
    25 KB · Views: 65
  • Informative
Reactions: aegidius
Any new SR+ since March 2021 has the LFP battery where it is recommended to charge to 100% on a regular basis.

Older SR+ and all LR/P have NCA/NCM batteries where an occasional charge to 100% is OK,
but they are best charged to a max of 80-90% on a regular basis.
If you go to the Waiting Room for SR+, you will see that there are NCA SR+ vehicles still being delivered in the U.S., so I do not think it is correct that all new SR+ since March 2021 are LFP(at least in the U.S.).

• Funny
Reactions: PC__LoadLetter
On my non-LFP car there is some minimal regen happening at or close to 100%, or when the battery is too cold to accept a charge (under freezing). The car will regen a few kW from the rear motor to run the heating and other onboard systems (presumably) and to make the front motor generate heat (~2-2.5kW) to warm the battery. I have to say that 5kW or even 10kW of regen is not very noticeable at highway speeds. I know it's doing it just because I look at ScanMyTesla because I can not feel it.

For LFP there does seem to be a recommendation to charge it to 100% once a week:

The new standard endurance upgraded Model 3 equipped with lithium iron phosphate battery can be charged without considering the charging limit, and it can be fully charged!

The new Model 3 standard battery life upgrade version cancels the [daily use/long-distance travel] suggestion on the charging settings page, that is, car owners do not need to worry about whether they can be fully charged during daily charging.

We recommend that you charge the vehicle to 100% at least once a week. This helps to balance the voltage between the battery packs, and over time can also maintain accurate estimates of the vehicle and display the remaining power.

https://www.teslarati.com/tesla-lfp-battery-full-charge/