Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Any direct control to battery pre-condition?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have a 2020 MSLR+. I see the same range reduction issues as well as limited regen that others post about here in the cold weather.

If I use the "depart at" function, the car pre-conditions. If I turn on the climate controls, the car pre-conditions.

I'd like to be able to separately control the battery pre-conditioning. I can "see" it on the iPhone app's climate page when it's on; but I can't see any way to control it, either on or off. Ideally, I'd like to be able to tell the car "start preconditioning" when I'm heading that way to start a drive--typically at a time I didn't know ahead of time, so "depart at" doesn't help (even if it worked flawlessly, which is another issue)--and without placing additional drain due to cabin heating.

Am I missing some way to do this??

Only the P100D and the Model S/X Performance models have Ludicrous+ Acceleration Mode and the Ludicrous+ Toy Box feature which when activated pre-heat the battery pack to 52C (approximately). It can also take up to 50 minutes to do so depending on how cold the HV pack is when you turn it on.

There is no other way to turn on the battery heater, than to turn on climate. Either manually through the app or by "depart at".
So from that can i assume that whenever i turn on the climate that the battery is being preconditioned, or is the climate control and the battery preconditioning separate functions?
Thanks,

So from that can i assume that whenever i turn on the climate that the battery is being preconditioned, or is the climate control and the battery preconditioning separate functions?
Thanks,

I believe they are separate functions. I think when you turn on climate control the car wakes up and identifies that a function has been activated that requires battery draw. In turn, the car starts to heat up the battery while performing the function (heating the cabin). So its like 2 birds one stone kind of action.

• Informative
Reactions: scabbotts
Up to 50 minutes depending on the temperature.

agreed. On my 2017, with my garage temps in the low 40's (which is typically about 20 degrees above outside temps), I set my interior cabin temp to 72. In about 50 mins, if I enter the car, I have full regen. If I enter the car 35-40 mins, still dont have full regen.

On my wifes Y under same conditions, even if we leave the garage with full regen, after some driving in the 20f temps, we lose some regen as Im guessing the battery pack cools down some since the cabin heat is relying purely on the (more efficient) heat pump.

If you're plugged in, you can target your charge to finish with the departure function. That only helps when plugged in and with a low battery of course.

If you are not plugged in, you are going to see the same range reduction if the pack heats up prior to departure or during the drive. It's still energy lost to heat. I guess with the exception of lost regen early in the drive which is small (unless you live on the top of the hill).

The extended Range button does affect battery heating. It tends to heat the battery less when it’s on. But it has varied its behavior a bit. I just leave that on because I prefer it not waste energy heating the battery I. Just about all situations.

Well, that's what I was afraid of....

OK, follow-on question: any way to determine with reasonable accuracy how long pre-conditioning will take? Rules of thumb?

If you use some vehicle monitoring app, you can read the cell temps. I use Scan My Tesla, but you need to be within BT range, that is how the app communicates with the car (via a BT dongle). At average cell temp of 62F I have full regen.

To get it right, you will use/consume same amount of electricity (from the wall plug) if you do charging with or without cabin heat activated. Your previous question was does it warm up faster if you turn on the heating during charging session - answer was no, because as current draw from mains is the same, your car will use needed amount of power to turn on the onboard heater and as your mains current is not changed your charging power will drop that same amount.
In another way of saying, during low power charging you will not heat your battery (only to the level required to add electricity to battery) enough to gain full regeneration without activating battery heating with the “cabin heating” function.
Everything is different in DC fast charging session.