Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Any documented cases of 22+ cars with 3rd row compatibility?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I know there was lots of speculation of whether the refreshed 22+ Model S cars had a 3rd row (aerial photos from tesla parking lot etc.).

Are there real owners of 22+ cars who have verified if the older jump seats still fit in the newer 22+ cars? For instance, my 2020 S performance came prepared for third row though they took that option away a few years ago - mounting holes were all present, and insulation/carpets were pre-cut and perforated. Took less than hAlf hour to install the third row seats in the 2020 (minus the bumper reinforcement bar).

I would like to know if this is still true in the new cars. Can anyone who owns a new 22 car please share If you have verified this?

I’ve retrofitted jump seats in an older S. The hatch of my Plaid is not at all the same as an older S. I can’t say for sure what the future plan is and what could be retrofit into the refresh cars down the road. But from what I saw there is absolutely no way the existing 3rd row seats can be installed into the newest refresh.

Reactions: xxaarraa
Similar question with a picture from a few weeks ago.

Similar question with a picture from a few weeks ago.

Thank you for sharing that. It is hard to tell what that picture is of, without seeing the area around it.

There are two simple checks hoping you can do for us in your new plaid - (I realize you are very familiar with retrofitting seats in the older cars, so please bear with me!)

1. When you lift the under trunk cover off, do you see any perforation in the carpet near where the seat bottom hinges of the flip down third row seats would bolt? Its right at the rim of the undertrunk as you are looking into the car from straight behind.
  2. If you run your fingers across the top back of the 2nd row seats, do you feel an indentation where the third row jump seats would clip into when they are deployed upright?

Anyone with newer refreshed S / Plaid - can you please check if your truck area is prepped for 3rd row from factory like the 2020 and prior cars?
Thank you for sharing that. It is hard to tell what that picture is of, without seeing the area around it.

There are two simple checks hoping you can do for us in your new plaid - (I realize you are very familiar with retrofitting seats in the older cars, so please bear with me!)

1. When you lift the under trunk cover off, do you see any perforation in the carpet near where the seat bottom hinges of the flip down third row seats would bolt? Its right at the rim of the undertrunk as you are looking into the car from straight behind.
  2. If you run your fingers across the top back of the 2nd row seats, do you feel an indentation where the third row jump seats would clip into when they are deployed upright?

Isn't there more to it than just fitting the seats. I was under the impression that 7 seat S's had a significantly increased rear crash structure to protect the occupants in the 3rd row. Also in the UK if it's a 5 seater on the registration document it can legally only ever be a 5 seater so you couldn't insure it, or your insurance would be invalid if you had an accident and there were people in the 3rd row.

Isn't there more to it than just fitting the seats. I was under the impression that 7 seat S's had a significantly increased rear crash structure to protect the occupants in the 3rd row. Also in the UK if it's a 5 seater on the registration document it can legally only ever be a 5 seater so you couldn't insure it, or your insurance would be invalid if you had an accident and there were people in the 3rd row.
Yes there is a reinforced cross-member that is installed underneath the rear bumper crash bar. Tesla installed it for me at the service center, part is still readily available from Tesla.

Well. Model S has EU type approval for 5 seats only. Sure they have sold 7 seaters and some countries have allowed them to registered as such, but still I believe vast majority of european 7 seaters are illegal.

EU rules don't allow "temporary" or "child" seats. If car has 7 seats, every seat must be suitable for an adult and car must have weight capacity for 7*75kg which the Model S doesn't have...

Oh and I know UK isn't in the EU anymore, but it was when the 7 seaters were sold. :)