Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Any downside to submitting order now?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have a test drive scheduled for mid November. I've been contemplating a M3 LR for quite some time now, and was going to pull the trigger sometime this fall (barring me not loving the test drive for some odd reason). I know the pricing of this particular model wasn't impacted in the most recent price hikes, but to prevent any foreseeable future increase, is there any downside to me placing an order now - aside from being out $250 if I hated it?

From everything I can gather, the $250 is more like a "spot". I'd still need to fill out the corresponding information to be assigned a VIN. So if anything, if I wanted to back out, i'd just lose the $250 as I'm not locked into anything. Someone correct me if I'm wrong though.

The only other downside is, (I think) that if you make any changes at all to your order, it goes back into the queue at whatever the price is when you make your order.

So, you need to be really sure what you want to order now (lSR / LR / Performance, color, interior color, wheels) because if you make any change to the order you lose whatever price lock might be there. If you are at the "test drive" phase, you may not know that stuff right now.

I am not following this (ordering) very closely however. So this could have changed at some point.

The only other downside is, (I think) that if you make any changes at all to your order, it goes back into the queue at whatever the price is when you make your order.

So, you need to be really sure what you want to order now (lSR / LR / Performance, color, interior color, wheels) because if you make any change to the order you lose whatever price lock might be there. If you are at the "test drive" phase, you may not know that stuff right now.

I am not following this (ordering) very closely however. So this could have changed at some point.

Yea I had figured as much, as far as changing the spec post order. I pretty much know what I want in terms of model + spec. Can't foresee that changing as I believe i'm test driving the exact same model. Was mostly curious about the slight differences in ground clearance between the 3/Y, but the Y has somewhat outpriced what I want to spend for the differences at this point.