Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Any early Roadsters with the original battery?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Mine is 10 years. (Bulit 5 oct 2009) 7300miles, Sweden (cold). Mostly garagequeen.

Very careful previous owner. Never rangecharged or driven hard.

CAC 155,5 =190miles i std charge. So I would say as good as new.

@LeoNordic Wow, 190 miles on a standard charge is basically a new battery. Do you store your Roadster in standard or storage mode? I've heard conflicting reports on which is better for the battery on a garage queen.

2011 2.5 with 71K healthy miles. I've reupholstered the seats but she has never had any mechanical updates/changes done to her.

She's def getting older now that I think about it! She's been garage queened (it that a word?) since getting my Model S exactly 3 years ago. She was a daily driver for about 4 years. About every 2 weeks, I drive her 50-100 miles to keep the blood pumping through her. She gets her annual maintenance regardless of use.

It runs and drives pretty much the same as the day I got it (I'm the second owner and obtained her with 24K miles in mid-2013). She seldom sees rain and has never seen snow.

Standard charge is 147 miles. I haven't range charged her in a long time. She takes whatever I throw at her and silently zooms past pretty much everyone on the road that I'd like to have behind me.

• Love
Reactions: DeedWest
@LeoNordic Wow, 190 miles on a standard charge is basically a new battery. Do you store your Roadster in standard or storage mode? I've heard conflicting reports on which is better for the battery on a garage queen.

My new to me #314 gets 187+ standard charge with 10,000 miles on it.

Some things I know about it...

VERY rarely range charged

Only charged slowly with 110V standard cable ever

Car spent life in mild Seattle

Owner believes the slow charge was most important. @petergrub has in one of his charging newsletters the same advice about charging slowly when/if you can

I know data was collected here by owners that the main factor was heat.

I know from my engineering days that heat and vibration kill batteries but remember heat is also generated during charging

YMMV

Attachments

• IMG_20191215_143616912.jpg
    IMG_20191215_143616912.jpg
    77.4 KB · Views: 160
I lost about 1-2 miles sitting unconnected for ~6 weeks in repair shop.

I agree that keeping plugged in is a key. I have range charged a few times, and hit faster destination chargers, but by far, them most noticeable loss of even slight amount of range was sitting in repair shop. That slow discharge over 6 weeks hurt it. Also saw some loss, based on log file, during transition between owner/dealer and my purchase...again, it was left unconnected with slow discharge over several weeks.

Do note that the range of the car is always an estimate, and is dependent on temperature and the recent history of use, along with the actual health of the battery. My car's full standard charge rises and falls over the course of a year, for example, and it's always a few miles longer if I charge slowly vs faster. But it is physically impossible for the actual health of the battery to improve over time. That exercise of running the car down to a low (but not zero!) range, then charging it all the way back up, is a way to have the car get a better "feel" for where the two ends of the battery's charge curve really are. "CAC", after all, is the "Calculated Amp-hour Capacity". It's calculated based on a number of factors, but it's still an estimate that will always be in error to some degree.

So that loss of a mile or two of range could simply be that the car's estimate was adjusted based on some temporary factor. Only time (months) will tell if it's real or not.

Reactions: ra88it and dhrivnak
Interesting points about the car not being plugged in and how much that can (potentially) hurt the battery. I used to feel that way intuitively but I've backed off that belief in recent years. I have definitely let the car sit for 3-5 weeks at a time without being plugged in since garage queening her. Maybe I'll go back to being more cognizant of that if it will have an effect on batter health long term. I just don't think the data I've seen or the results of the car's slow loss of overall charge is related to that (where I think high mileage is 99.9% of the reason). I tend to think it may just be a calculation error (gregd spoke to that a bit) and that the battery is just fine by just sitting.

You can see lots of data on the Roadster battery survey. If you own a Roadster, please share your experience, or use the update form if you're reported before.

One thing to keep in mind: the car can't know the pack's capacity if it hasn't seen it charge and discharge recently. The longer the car has sat without being driven through a significant portion of the battery pack the less reliable the rated range and CAC numbers are.

• Informative
Reactions: tvuolo and AEdennis
I have Roadster 901, named Stela - as in.... "Wow, that car is really Stela" (if said with a Boston accent that would translate to stellar. Also an anagram for Tesla.). She has a bit more than 26,000 miles. I drive her 2 to 3 times per week and keep her plugged in whenever I'm not driving her. I charge on 220 in my garage. About 2-3 times per year, I charge on range - the last time I think I got around 215 miles. I got the car when it was 3 years old and was getting about 181 miles in standard mode. It is now down to 170. I notice I lose about 2 miles per year. Per the advice of the service center, I once put it in storage mode. When I took it out, I had lost 2-3 miles off the battery. I haven't done that since.

New to posting, but I have #934 pushing 22K miles only. Standard gives me 165 when I charge but estimate less than 400 miles/year. Some of the higher miles was the long drive to Tyson’s before Richmond opened—and outside temps were critical even on a Range charge. 5B3CBD87-6F64-485C-B3B6-09D0805C3CB5.jpeg

Previous owner and now I always has it connected and set on standardcharge.(86-88%?) always on a std householdsocket low amps. Like 2kW.

I think when we looked at the logs it had only been rangecharged twice in it’s whole life. Mostly because previous owner only used if for shorter trips. It was very seldom driven lower than 40% if i remember correct.

Of course both the displayed CAC and rangeestimate can be fooled since it has almost never seen the ”limits” of the batterycapacity.

But on the other hand the little I have driven it, it seems to be quite correct in its estimate.

Right now when it is like +5C in my garage it says a steady 301km i std charge sometimes a bit higher when it tops up the charging a bit. But that happens quite seldom.

• Informative
Reactions: dhrivnak
Very careful previous owner. Never rangecharged or driven hard.
My understanding is that it's actually bad to *never* Range-charge. I don't know whether the ideal is monthly, or perhaps less often, but you don't want to Standard-charge exclusively. Rumor has it that Tesla would Range-charge any vehicle that came in for service ... at least once they learned that this was better for the battery.
Caveat: There have been A LOT of rumors on the Tesla technology, so I try to remember not to believe everything I've heard.

Last edited:
My understanding is that it's actually bad to *never* Range-charge.
I have a hard time believing it's bad for the battery not to range mode charge. I do believe the car needs to see a range mode charge, and discharge down to maybe 20% or so, for it to really know what the battery's capacity is. The longer it's been since a range mode charge, the less reliable the ideal mile estimate and CAC are. I also think it doesn't hurt to do an occasional range mode charge, in moderate temperatures. After the charge, don't just let it sit to discharge and don't drive it too hard, keep the pack from getting overly hot while fully charged.

• Informative
Reactions: Roadster
I have a hard time believing it's bad for the battery not to range mode charge. I do believe the car needs to see a range mode charge, and discharge down to maybe 20% or so, for it to really know what the battery's capacity is. The longer it's been since a range mode charge, the less reliable the ideal mile estimate and CAC are. I also think it doesn't hurt to do an occasional range mode charge, in moderate temperatures. After the charge, don't just let it sit to discharge and don't drive it too hard, keep the pack from getting overly hot while fully charged.
Could it be possible that the Roadster firmware needs to know the capacity more accurately in order to properly balance the cells? I'm just guessing here because of the rumor that Tesla Motors decided to do a Range charge when servicing. There must have been some benefit. Could it be that Tesla wanted customers to see longer (or more accurate) range estimates, and maybe that's why they snuck in a Range charge once a year?

Heat is definitely always a factor. It seems that the Tesla system does a good job of cooling the battery, but there are obviously limits to that, especially given ambient temperatures.

Other than gathering data for CAC estimates, does the Tesla lithium technology have any sort of effect where charging to higher voltages would benefit the chemistry? Note that it's impossible to charge the Panasonic cells to their actual maximum, because "Range" mode is still below the Panasonic rating for maximum voltage. i.e. Even if you were to charge in Range mode exclusively, you still wouldn't be charging the battery to "full" at the level established by the OEM.

For example, I recall that these lithium batteries prefer to be stored at 50% charge, if in long-term storage, but I don't recall any other details that maximized performance (in any of the various parameters that one could measure performance).

I believe Martin Eberhard's blog post, A Bit About Batteries, is still the best reference for understanding the Roadster's original battery pack.

I've never heard of a benefit to lithium ion chemistry for charging to a higher SOC. I don't know about rumors that Tesla does a range mode charge as part of service, but that's easily checked by looking at the log file. If true, I think that's completely explained by a desire to have a more accurate CAC and ideal mile range estimate.

I believe Martin Eberhard's blog post, A Bit About Batteries, is still the best reference for understanding the Roadster's original battery pack.

I've never heard of a benefit to lithium ion chemistry for charging to a higher SOC. I don't know about rumors that Tesla does a range mode charge as part of service, but that's easily checked by looking at the log file. If true, I think that's completely explained by a desire to have a more accurate CAC and ideal mile range estimate.
Unfortunately, checking the logs presumes that the SC actually has a way to charge a Roadster these days... I think mine finally bought a CAN-SR, but for several years they had no way to do that.

Adding a data point: car #364, 20K miles and usual standard charge 162 miles

Have you added your vehicle to the Plug In America Roadster survey?

Getting current data there would be helpful to the community. There are tables and charts on the site, and all of the data (except personally identifying information like email addresses and non-US postal codes) can be downloaded for more analysis.

Today marked a big day in the life of my Roadster. I drove it almost 200 miles (on one charge) to the service center to have its original battery replaced. Most of the drive was interstate highway at 67mph. Despite that I beat the rated range by almost 10 miles. To answer the question in this thread: my original battery is still going strong after more than 10 years. At nearly 70,000 miles a std mode charge nets about 162 mi and range gets to 210. When it was new it got 245 miles in range mode.

Making the drive today, the last one on this battery, felt nostalgic in many ways. It's been an amazing, awesome ride for the last 10+ years. The car is not just ridiculously fun to drive, it's also a revolutionary piece of history. I stopped next to a supercharger on the drive to stretch my legs. A couple of new Tesla owners came over for a chat. It was hard to explain to them what it was like stopping at that same rest area 10 years ago when the thought of driving a car 200 miles on one charge was unheard of. Not being in California, nobody knew who Tesla was. It had to be even more fun for those of you who started 2-3 years before me! I have some of the best memories from the last 11 years.

When I got to the service center I mentioned to the tech that I think the Roadster is still the best car Tesla ever made. He thought about it for a minute before re-focusing on the ever-growing line of cars he had to take care of today. He'll eventually see thousands of cars through that service center. All of them made possible by the mighty Roadster that I had such a thrill driving today. He was young. I wonder if he thought about how much that car shaped the direction of his own life.

With our cars becoming collectors items I often ponder what the future will be like with my Roadster. I guess I'll start the next chapter in a week or two when I drive it home. Hopefully more great memories will be made in the years ahead...