Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Any EverCharge Users Here?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My building contracts with EverCharge for all of the apartment and condo EV chargers, and I just got my first billing statement. The price was shocking, for lack of a better term. For the approximately 180 kWh I used, I was charged $65. That's a whopping 36 cents per kWh! The average electricity rate here in the Phoenix area is 10 cents per kWh.

Unfortunately I have no other charging options in my building, besides a supercharger down the street. That said, the supercharger would still be cheaper than EverCharge...

Anyhow if anyone else has used their services and/or successfully argued for a lower rate, I would love to hear about it.

These installations are costly in Condo/Apartment environments. This is the kind of cost required to break even or maybe make a profit for the company.

Tesla's aggressive "gas savings" advertising, and the proliferation of free or subsidized charging stations has set unrealistic expectations for charging costs.

The cost of the station install was likely 30-50k for 10 stations and required electrical upgrades and wiring, let's go off the low end. At .26 kwh margin, and assuming 10 cars charging an average of 3 hours a day at a 7KW rate, it would take about 520 days to break even. This does not account for ongoing maintenance and server costs. This is just a break even on the installation, Evercharge requires additional money to continue operations, and the apartment complex likely wants a cut of profit as well.

>>> cost = 30000
>>> margin = .26
>>> cars = 10
>>> avg_time_hour_night = 3
>>> avg_charge_rate_kw = 7
>>> profit_per_night = margin * cars * avg_time_hour_night * avg_charge_rate_kw
>>> profit_per_night
>>> days_to_break_even = cost / profit_per_night
>>> days_to_break_even

The building has already paid for the chargers, as well as a monthly $15 fee per charger. I am not sure if the building receives any sort of kickback from this, other than to attract residents (as it did for me). I am being charged directly from EverCharge, too.

Wampa how has been your experience with EverCharge since your last post?
I'm considering installing three dual Pedestal charge stations (six charging ports) in a condominium parking lot down in Maryland and I'd like to hear from the end user side. Thanks!

These installations are costly in Condo/Apartment environments. This is the kind of cost required to break even or maybe make a profit for the company.

Tesla's aggressive "gas savings" advertising, and the proliferation of free or subsidized charging stations has set unrealistic expectations for charging costs.

The cost of the station install was likely 30-50k for 10 stations and required electrical upgrades and wiring, let's go off the low end. At .26 kwh margin, and assuming 10 cars charging an average of 3 hours a day at a 7KW rate, it would take about 520 days to break even. This does not account for ongoing maintenance and server costs. This is just a break even on the installation, Evercharge requires additional money to continue operations, and the apartment complex likely wants a cut of profit as well.

>>> cost = 30000
>>> margin = .26
>>> cars = 10
>>> avg_time_hour_night = 3
>>> avg_charge_rate_kw = 7
>>> profit_per_night = margin * cars * avg_time_hour_night * avg_charge_rate_kw
>>> profit_per_night
>>> days_to_break_even = cost / profit_per_night
>>> days_to_break_even

If the break even takes less than 2 years, that even a bigger ripoff. That means after the 550 days, they are just gouging people.

If the break even takes less than 2 years, that even a bigger ripoff. That means after the 550 days, they are just gouging people.

Well we are also ignoring maintenance, ongoing server and development costs, marketing, sales, and risk. Even so, if the company can’t start taking profit two years after a large capital investment, why even build the station? Would be better to just take that capital and put it in index funds.

We use EverCharge in my building, and my bill is usually $40-50. I helped set the system up, so I have some knowledge of what's involved.

First, the price for electricity in commercial buildings is NOT what residential consumers pay - and how they've hooked that up makes a difference.

EverCharge refunds the apartment/condo for the electricity used on a quarterly basis. I do not know if they have the ability to add "extra" charges. In our building, we spent $60,000 on sub-panels, breaker boxes, and two very large transformers. The way we paid for that is a special assessment for those who want to connect ($2500). After 25 or so cars, the system is paid off. Your apartment owner might be putting that cost into the hourly rate.

We had to do it this way, as by law we cannot use the association's money to benefit a few individuals. On the plus side, by the time we run out of capacity, we'll have enough extra paid into the fund to afford the upgrade.

Apartments are much, much easier than condos - no ownership of parking spaces, etc. But so many buildings just don't have enough extra power to handle a lot of cars, so systems like EverCharge and ChargePoint can greatly leverage the existing power.

Hope this helped :)

Hi, We have an EverCharge charging unit installed in our deeded condo parking space. It was quite a process to get the unit installed and to go through the board approvals etc. We cannot get in touch with EverCharge. Our condo manager says that our condo assoc. have not been paid as agreed upon by EverCharge since Dec. of 2019. Also, EverCharge has not billed us since Dec. 2019. We think the charging unit is not communicating and an antenna needs to be installed outside of our building. Does anyone know if EverCharge is still in business? Or who we might reach out to? We have tried numerous times to get in touch with them. THANKS so much!!!

Our association decided to install six JuiceBox Pro 40 Amp units. The entire cost of the project was $60,000 less $44,000 cash rebates.
The new supporting infrastructure of a dedicated 3-phase 400 amp commercial service enables the association to add additional 11 EVSEs when needed.

If you'd be interested in more details, check out this case study.

www.ClarksburgCondo2.com/evse.html

The biggest challenge post installation is the control to keep the cost of electricity down kWh. Since the commercial service, we are exposed to Demand Charges. Demand Charges are significant especially when not a lot electricity is used during a billing cycle.

On a final note, the association would go with Tesla Gen3 wall connections but unfortunately the Gen3 was not listed under of one the rebates as qualified equipment (I specifically asked).
20220322_190754.jpg