Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Any experience renting out charger and driveway

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I’ve seen a number of websites will now allow you to rent out use of your home charger and parking space.
I live fairly near a station and only really need to charge on my driveway for a few hours a week so it sounds interesting.
Has anyone got any good or bad experience doing this?
And which one to choose?

No... but you can't legally remove another car off your driveway if they outstay their welcome. It's not a criminal offence, only a civil matter.

So my concerns would be:-

- Damage to your property / house / charger

- Not removing their car when requested

- Liability while it's on your driveway.

- Restrictive Covenants on running a business from home / Insurance implications / neighbour disputes

For any amount of money you might get, is it really worth it?

Reactions: house9 and Durzel
From the websites linked it looks like the prices range from £1.75 to £3.00 per hour around me which at the lower end would barely cover the electricity costs assuming 7.4kW/h at say 25p per kW.

Aside from the points @PITA makes, the economic argument falls short too.

Would you not have to have your charger inspected etc every year just like a rental property to make sure it's safe etc?

It's the "what if" scenario. What if the worst happened. Who is held liable? Could this have been prevented?

You would have to add all these costs in to the equation. Upkeep etc.

Renting a driveway is the easy part. It's when you add an additional (electrical) item that could go wrong. Not all users will be careful.

I recently used the services in London and the charging was a fixed price of £9 for an 8 hour booking although I probably only used 5 hours worth.

The parking was another £3.90.

Very pleased with how it all worked out. The only issue was the strange charger, but after pressing a few buttons on the front randomly, it started. The owner even came out to make sure everything was okay.

• Informative
Reactions: Durzel
I've looked at a couple of companies (same as I did when I first got my driveway on its own and pondered the idea of letting people park on my drive)

I mean I use JustPark quite often. Especially when going into London and its always been fantastic. Parking on someone's driveway, quite often a lot closer to my venue and a lot cheaper, so I figured I'd check it out for myself.

Both times, the profit was so incredibly tiny it was not worth the hassle. I also live very close to a train station and now have a charger available.

I love the idea, in theory - but in practice, I don't think its there yet.

Reactions: mikeyg_ev
I listed my home charger on Zap-Map and got a call a while ago from a guy on his way to York wanting to park/charge for the day.

I gave him a price, agreed a time to meet but he never showed! Must have had a better offer.