TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC
Start a Discussionhttps://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/tags/

Any experience with 17" or 18" rims/wheels?

Discussion in 'Model S: Driving Dynamics' started by FVO, Nov 11, 2016.

1. FVO

FVO Active Member

Hi i was wondering if there is any experience with people trying out a smaller rim size? (and perhaps a different tirewidth) I can imagine that with a higher sidewall, to maintain the same circumference, comes lesser crispyness (handling) to take a corner but does come more comfort. But disadvantages as well.

2. Zaphod

Zaphod Galaxy President (former)

Not sure, but smaller diameter wheels might have clearance issues with the brake calipers. The Brembo calipers Tesla uses are pretty big. That would be the main concern to check on.

3. FVO

FVO Active Member

That's right, that is one of the things that i'm wondering.

4. Roadrunner13

Roadrunner13 Member

It would be an issue at least with the front suspension arms.
    On my non-OEM 19" wheels, the calibrating weights had to be put 'out of harms way' else it would be ripped by a bulge on the bottom of the lower arm.
    (Don't remember the exact part name, but if you look at lower suspension arm through the wheels, you should easily see there's no clearance for smaller wheels!
    Sorry.

• Helpful x 1
  5. FVO

FVO Active Member

My Tesla is having a sleepover this weekend (needed a hitch for the weekend...).

6. Fiver

Fiver Member

if I recall from earlier threads, the biggest hurdle is the large brake calipers don't fit inside the smaller rims.

• Helpful x 1
  7. PaulusdB

PaulusdB Mayor Gnomus Vintage Limb

Elsewhere on TMC some owners report using a 18" steel BMW rim with a very narrow tyre as spare.
    Because of the narrow tyres and low ET these rims stay clear from the suspension parts.
    Not advisable for day-to-day use; insufficient grip.

• Informative x 1
  8. PaulusdB

PaulusdB Mayor Gnomus Vintage Limb

• Helpful x 1