Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Any experience with annual service being done by Tesla mobile service in Boston area?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

David29

Supporting Member
Aug 1, 2015
DEDHAM, MA
I made an appointment for my third annual service for my Model S, at Dedham. Shortly after that, i got a call from the Dedham Service Center, advising me that the scope of the annual service for year 3 was such that a mobile technician could do it. I asked if they can rotate tires, answer yes. I asked if they would do the extra-cost brake lube that Tesla had recommended the past two years, answer yes. So I said OK and they said they would get in touch to schedule a date.
That was a couple of weeks ago, and no appointment yet. The appointment I had had at Dedham would have happened by now. Not that there is really any rush, i suppose -- I have no issues for them to work on, car is working fine.
Actually, i am glad the weather is a bit better. In early March when the original service was to occur, the weather was brutally cold (especially for working outside) and we had four snow falls in 10 days, so my condo parking lot was a mess. I did not envy any technician trying to work under those conditions.
As it is, i worry a bit that my parking space is not level (it slopes side-to-side and front-to-back, which i told the SC) and sometimes there is another car right next to mine. Most days, there would be an empty visitor space where they could work, which is closer to level.
Anyone else have experience with annual service being done by mobile techs in Boston area? I have read many posts about excellent service on failures (12V battery replacements, door handles, etc.) so i suppose the annual service is not more complicated, but I am curious....

I've had a couple of mobile service visits for minor issues (door handles, broken washer line fitting, replace water-filled taillight, etc). I specifically asked him about annual services and what they can/can't do. He said odd-year services were no trouble (no fluid changes), and that they can do anything else that doesn't require a lift (no pack swaps) or mounting/balancing tires (no mounting balancing equipment in the truck).

DON'T DO IT....
My last annual service was with a mobile tech. He could't lift the car so didn't find that both my upper control arms needed to be replaced. While trying to replace a couple of rack bolts he broke one and didn't have the tools to extract it so left it and told me it would be fine.

A month later with my front suspension feeling loose I took it in and they found the upper control arms issue (2014, 120k miles) and extracted the bolt. I won't use the mobile service again if I can help it. They just don't have all the tools to do the same level of service as the garage.

My $0.02

• Informative
Reactions: yousexy and David29
As a follow-up to my own post -- The annual service was done yesterday. (I went ahead despite the change in Tesla's policy (or recommendations?) regarding annual service, which were posted a day or two after i made my appointment.
The technician was very nice (fellow named Joe), prompt, kept me posted on his arrival time, said he did not mind working in the cold (temps in my parking lot were in the high 30s or low 40s yesterday, with a stiff breeze, when he started). He spent a good 4 hours on the work, so I felt like I got my money's worth (even though I could have done some of the simpler stuff myself, such as changing wiper blades or fob batteries, etc.). I had him do the optional brake lube and cleaning. He had the car jacked up on one side (two jack stands to expose the brakes on both front and rear wheels at once) when i went out to see what he was doing at one point.
It would be interesting to know how much, if anything, I would have saved if i told him to skip what I could do, and only do the specific tasks I could not do (tire rotations, brake work, HVAC checks, sunroof cleaning and lube, etc.). I did not think to ask him that question. maybe next time.

Reactions: yousexy
As a follow-up to my own post -- The annual service was done yesterday. (I went ahead despite the change in Tesla's policy (or recommendations?) regarding annual service, which were posted a day or two after i made my appointment.
The technician was very nice (fellow named Joe), prompt, kept me posted on his arrival time, said he did not mind working in the cold (temps in my parking lot were in the high 30s or low 40s yesterday, with a stiff breeze, when he started). He spent a good 4 hours on the work, so I felt like I got my money's worth (even though I could have done some of the simpler stuff myself, such as changing wiper blades or fob batteries, etc.). I had him do the optional brake lube and cleaning. He had the car jacked up on one side (two jack stands to expose the brakes on both front and rear wheels at once) when i went out to see what he was doing at one point.
It would be interesting to know how much, if anything, I would have saved if i told him to skip what I could do, and only do the specific tasks I could not do (tire rotations, brake work, HVAC checks, sunroof cleaning and lube, etc.). I did not think to ask him that question. maybe next time.
Great to hear! How long did it take from when you initiated the service request to when the technician got to working on your car? Also - what was the price point? I'm trying to figure out how much it's going to run me to get my tires rotated by them in the near future.

Great to hear! How long did it take from when you initiated the service request to when the technician got to working on your car? Also - what was the price point? I'm trying to figure out how much it's going to run me to get my tires rotated by them in the near future.

As i recall, it was about a month from when I submitted the initial appointment request until the service was done. About half that time was waiting for the field service people to contact me after the service center said they would refer my task to the field service people. I imagine that lag time varies with the task and with the workload. Also, in my case it was winter, and they may not have been able to work remotely every day.

The fixed fee for annual service (3rd year) was $475. That included tire rotation, but there was no stated hourly rate or cost for any individual task except for the optional extra brake service ($175).

But in July 2017 I had a warranty repair done, and asked the shop to rotate my tires at that time. It was at my cost because it was not being done as part of the annual service. The Dedham (MA) service center charged me $50 at that time (flat fee, no stated hourly rate).

So, after the dial back on annual service scope, what is left to do at the 2 year service, besides rotation and wipers?
I'm thinking brake pads and brake fluid are fine.
But that cooling fluid?
The schedule shows brake fluid every 2 years/25k miles, coolant every 4 years/50k miles. Brake fluid is hygroscopic and absorbs moisture from the air (there is a small vent in every car's master cylinder cap to prevent vacuum buildup as the fluid level drops when pads wear). It should be flushed/changed in any car every 2 years to prevent risks of corrosion and brake fade (moisture lowers the fluid's boiling point).